Unpopular opinion - dog caught a hen

My dog catches a lot of hens, but he knows the difference. He gently opens his mouth and releases them. He brings the roosters back to see if the tailfeathers are to my liking. If they are he will release them for the shot. Once he brought me two beautiful roosters at once. The guy I was with said it was unbelievable. He said I've never seen anything like that. I said you aint seen nothin yet, You want a true double or a report pair..;)

I still don't understand how people are shooting hens. There is an obvious, colorful difference between a rooster and a hen. If you are shooting hens, pheasant hunting may not be your thing. I have to wonder what else you're "accidentially" shooting too.

As for the dog catching one, I don't think there is a whole lot you can do about that. You can't really train a dog to not try and catch a bird, so its going to happen on an infrequent basis.
As I have gotten older my eyes aren’t what they were. That said I also will not shoot until I am 100% sure as killing birds isn’t as important as it once was. I know I have passed on many birds I couldn’t be sure on, particularly when the sun is in the wrong spot. I used to hunt with a guy that would kill them on occasion. I never understood it either

A couple weeks ago my dog brought a dying snow goose back to me when I was in South Dakota. I left it for the coyotes after killing it

There are north central SD reports of lots of Snows literally falling out of the sky due to avian flu. Many unable to takeoff with the rest of the flock when leaving a feed field or lake/pond.

Dog in our group found a dead one on the edge of a slough. No indication of being shot.

Just one more problem on the horizon for next year: bird flu.

A large domestic poultry operation here MN was recently found with it. They had to wipe out the entire flock, disinfect, and then re-populate.

Its not going away for a while here in the Midwest either. If it hits domestic turkey or chicken operations hard again, egg and meat prices will inevitably go up.

There are north central SD reports of lots of Snows literally falling out of the sky due to avian flu. Many unable to takeoff with the rest of the flock when leaving a feed field or lake/pond.

Dog in our group found a dead one on the edge of a slough. No indication of being shot.

I suspected it was sick. Damn dog will pick up anything.

Bird flu is not uncommon in snow geese. Their desire to live and migrate in large flocks in close proximity with each other makes them especially vulnerable.

I still cant comprehend turning the law on yourself over such a mundane thing. Why would you bring the law into your life and risk a fine? Its just a bird and they are not endangered. They die every day. The one your dog caught or the one hen you accidentally shot in 15 years is a drop in the bucket. I guess we all sleep differently.
My cousin has shot some hens, and so have I. Everybody has.In montana, you used to be able to shoot them legally.

We had an instance where we were hunting a washout in the middle of a corn field. As we approach 8 or 10 chickens get up out of range. I remind everyone that many times a single chicken doesnt take off with the group. When that hold out bird got up, turned out to be a hen.

If my dog catches a hen and it's likely not to live or dead, I put it in my vest and take it home and eat it. I'll stand before a judge and God to accept whatever consequence comes my way as I believe that is the ethical thing to do.

Ethical it is. Moral is iffy. If you did the so called "right" thing to do, the CO would donate the bird to someone else he checks that day or to someone who needs it. The CO is not going to throw it in the trash or ditch...

You can take the "high" ground if you want and think that is right, but if you are caught in possession of the hen you are paying a ticket and losing the hen and the judge you are wasting the time of is going to agree unless you can convince him its a rooster... Note he isn't going to get you for illegal take, but illegal possession.

If you call it in you will 'probably' get no ticket and the bird taken as well and given away to someone to eat.

Only difference is the ticket you may/may not get and the fact you arent going to eat the bird but someone else is. Guess you have to decide in your mind if you should be getting the reward (food) for your dog killing an illegal bird and you not getting caught with it that day.

lol the co would probably throw it the garbage , I can guaran ass ti ya it wouldn’t go to the needy. You’ve been watching too much game wardens of the north

No, i just am friends with a couple wardens and know what happens.. instead of speculating on the internet. They all know a family or two. Or they just eat it themselves... Zero chance it ever goes in the trash, i can guaren ass ti ya

No, i just am friends with a couple wardens and know what happens.. instead of speculating on the internet. They all know a family or two. Or they just eat it themselves... Zero chance it ever goes in the trash, i can guaren ass ti ya
Whatever dude you keep talking out your ass

Whatever dude you keep talking out your ass

Seems to be exactly what you are doing on this thread. Speculating and "guaranteeing". Everything i have said has come from personal chats with wardens, which is how this thread started. I was hoping for discussion, what i got was a bunch of old timers talking out their asses.

What do you think of the post from another member who talked to a warden that backed up everything I said in the first post?? He was probably talking out his ass too huh?

Seems to be exactly what you are doing on this thread. Speculating and "guaranteeing". Everything i have said has come from personal chats with wardens, which is how this thread started. I was hoping for discussion, what i got was a bunch of old timers talking out their asses.

What do you think of the post from another member who talked to a warden that backed up everything I said in the first post?? He was probably talking out his ass too huh?
I apologize for my outburst I shouldn’t have said that.
Did I miss a post about the game warden donating a caught hen pheasant to the next needy hunter

I was hoping for discussion, what i got was a bunch of old timers talking out their asses.
Now look, I enjoy the discussion and always try and see things from different points of view. But calling the entire group who replied old timers, that's painting with a pretty broad brush! Not to mention the rest of the quote😳.

Well that would be the responsible thing to do, but unfortunately most wont take responsibility for what their trained dog does and just bury it in the weeds and keep right on hunting. Then they complain this new generation has no ethics or morals.
😂🤣😂🤣😂

Back