Unpopular opinion - dog caught a hen

There was a time when pheasants were thick in SD and many share croppers literally lived off the land. That meant hens, as roosters were saved for gentleman hunters. One share cropper I talked to said they only ate beef or pork 6-8 times a year. Again these were times when birds were more than plentiful. Hard to believe. It was survival, not sport. Do what is right for you.

Well hell after all the post, if my dogs catch a hen retrieves it and it's still alive, then I'm going to toss it up and let it fly...then shoot it only sporting right?!!? Course it might be a hen bobwhite or sharpie or p chicken or phez, only my dogs and I will know......😏 🤔🤫🤯🙈🙉🙊

That is bs.nobody has shot thousands of pheasants. Everybody has shot hens.

Shot at. 1000s I've shot AT!!! And yes, of those, I've only shot 1 I felt certain was a rooster. Any others, I either knew it was a hen or didn't know or care. I made some less than great decisions when I was a kid.

It’s a hunting dog thats trained to hunt pheasants and it hunted so well it caught one. Just try and release the bird and move on. If it’s dead well that’s unfortunate but it happens. Leave it and move on. It’s no body’s fault. Don’t want to have one in possession. Just part of it sometimes. Geez guys. Our dogs growing up would kill critters and a few cats sometimes out back that weren’t in season. I can assure you calling the warden never crossed our minds. Now if you are hunting in some heavy snow and it happens a few times on one hunt might be best just to head in for the day and try to keep the bigger picture in mind.
One time I was hunting with this older guy,and he shot a hen, and I said, just take it.Don't waste it.

There was a time when pheasants were thick in SD and many share croppers literally lived off the land. That meant hens, as roosters were saved for gentleman hunters. One share cropper I talked to said they only ate beef or pork 6-8 times a year. Again these were times when birds were more than plentiful. Hard to believe. It was survival, not sport. Do what is right for you.
Yeah,but they used 22s.

Shot at. 1000s I've shot AT!!! And yes, of those, I've only shot 1 I felt certain was a rooster. Any others, I either knew it was a hen or didn't know or care. I made some less than great decisions when I was a kid.
The first pheasant I ever shot was a hen. I was 12 years old and it was the first time my dad took me to western Kansas with his buddies. It was opening weekend and there were 7 or 8 of us and several dogs. Opening morning first field was wheat stubble. We got a few in the stubble and at the end was a decent sized patch of heavy cover. When we got in there birds went everywhere. Not sure how long I stood there and watched before I pulled the trigger, but my excitement over hitting one quickly turned to embarassment when I realized it was a hen.

The first pheasant I ever shot was a hen. I was 12 years old and it was the first time my dad took me to western Kansas with his buddies. It was opening weekend and there were 7 or 8 of us and several dogs. Opening morning first field was wheat stubble. We got a few in the stubble and at the end was a decent sized patch of heavy cover. When we got in there birds went everywhere. Not sure how long I stood there and watched before I pulled the trigger, but my excitement over hitting one quickly turned to embarassment when I realized it was a hen.
I wouldn't sweat it.Like I said, it's not particularly uncommon in the world.

you need to call the game warden and see if there is a statute of limitations…..

Back