Switching dog food because of price and availability?!

I believe you can find PPP at both Runnings and Mills Fleet, and perhaps TSC.

Fed my ES PPP for the first 3 years of her life. But, then, she started turning up her nose at it...I think Purina changed the recipe at the same time they changed the design of the bag. I switched her to Victor HI-PRO and she likes it. The Victor is always $5-7 cheaper than the PPP.

I tried Victor. Loose stools and had to feed more. Dr. Tim's has the best food but pricey. However you don't feed as much with it. So it balances out in the end.

My two cents; Dog food companies have better marketing folks than the government! They know we love our dogs almost as much as our kids, so we will spend anything that we think is the best. They want you to believe that your dog will live forever or pull a sled through the snow for days if you feed them virgin purple salmon caught from the pristine waters of the artic through the ice by eskimos. I tried to buy regular Purina dog chow in our local farm supply yesterday. They had 7 different kinds and flavors of Purina and no dog chow, so they are the biggest ducks in the puddle. I feed Purina because they have done the research other companies have copied for years and I trust them. I used to feed the cheapest I could find until my brothers friend lost all three of his setters in three days. Turned out one of the cheaper companies used something from cookie factories as fillers with chocolate. When he called them, they just asked what they owed him. I don't believe dogs need extra extra 50% protein and 150% buffalo but I won't feed the cheap stuff either.

Availability has a been a crap shoot around here . Ppp has been the most consistent, pp beef schredded blend I feed to an older dog. Like eukanuba for a dog under 2. Had been feeding it mixed with schredded blend to my 4 and 1 year olds . Availability on both of those is hit and miss. Right now Im feeding 26/18 4 heath/ strive to all of them which someone told me was just an offshoot of diamond? But bought the last bag on the shelf of it the other day. If its not available next time around who knows

I feed Purina Pro Plan and feel it is a good food for my goldens. But lately it is about impossible to find. Typically I get it at Menards but lately they never have it in stock. I checked with someone from the store today and they told me when they get it in it is usually only 4 bags and they are sold that day!. Next I went to Chewy.com to see what they have. OUt of stock of what I feed other than the 6# bags. I use 47# bag roughly every 3 weeks. So next I went to Petsmart and found it there but I paid over $80 by the time I paid taxes on that bag! That is crazy. Where do you guys get your food, what are you feeding, and what are you paying? I am thinking of switching to Diamond because it is available and significantly cheaper! I know there have been many debates on foods over the years but I am not paying $100 a month for dog food! Help!
Joe..
Bought pro plan sport from chewy..last night..have had much better luck talking to reps.
If in fact they are out on a given day..get on list/hold normally back in stock in day or two..
just don’t wait until needing in next week or so and never a problem

I feed my pack Taste of the Wild and have no issues. Price is usually between 42 and 50 bucks for their large bag.

Joel, which formula of ProPlan are you feeding? In Watertown, SD I can almost always get what I want at Runnings. Tractor Supply is another source. I've ordered a lot online from Chewy.com and a few times from PetSmart. Free shipping on orders over $49. I'm currently feeding PP Complete Essentials Chicken and Rice 26/16. When I do feed the Sport I've never had a problem getting it. You should have a lot of sources in the Twin Cities area.
Zeb, I am feeding the 26/16 and I am just having a difficult time finding it and when I find it, like yesterday I paid over $80 for it. I am thinking of moving back to Diamond. They have some good foods and I think I can get it easily. The problenm is I have a female giving birth today so I will need to have it on hand till she is done whelpinig this litter!

Zeb, I am feeding the 26/16 and I am just having a difficult time finding it and when I find it, like yesterday I paid over $80 for it. I am thinking of moving back to Diamond. They have some good foods and I think I can get it easily. The problenm is I have a female giving birth today so I will need to have it on hand till she is done whelpinig this litter!
Is this what you are feeding? Chewy has it for $65.98 for a 47 lb. bag. This is what I'm feeding right now.

I'm not a big fan of Diamond. They have had more than their share of recalls.

I feed Purina Pro Plan and feel it is a good food for my goldens. But lately it is about impossible to find. Typically I get it at Menards but lately they never have it in stock. I checked with someone from the store today and they told me when they get it in it is usually only 4 bags and they are sold that day!. Next I went to Chewy.com to see what they have. OUt of stock of what I feed other than the 6# bags. I use 47# bag roughly every 3 weeks. So next I went to Petsmart and found it there but I paid over $80 by the time I paid taxes on that bag! That is crazy. Where do you guys get your food, what are you feeding, and what are you paying? I am thinking of switching to Diamond because it is available and significantly cheaper! I know there have been many debates on foods over the years but I am not paying $100 a month for dog food! He
I shot you a PM with what might be a good option for you

Diamond has had very few recalls. They produce other lines that have had recalls due to the others ingredients.

I fed Diamond for years and have watched recalls. I only left Diamond for the 30 / 20 from PPP and Victor so I could feed less volume= smaller stools.

Diamond Natural Extreme, and the chicken and rice formula for both the hunter and lap dogs. Both LOVE and Diamond Natural products. Also available at Menards and Runnings, and I think Tractor Supply.

Is this what you are feeding? Chewy has it for $65.98 for a 47 lb. bag. This is what I'm feeding right now.

Yes, that is what I am feeding, but chewy has it on backorder right now and that is why Menards is having a difficult time getting it, short supply for some reason.

My dog gets bored with his food, so i have bought almost all the different brands over time. Always has to be high fat high pro. 30/20. I have two to three bags open all the time.

I used to have that problem as well. After they tried PPP Shredded Beef, I never had to buy a different food.

Back