Switching dog food because of price and availability?!

I agree that current research indicates grain free dog foods have problems, but as my mother always said "never say never". In our case one of our labs had a diagnosed allergy to corn and other grains. Our choice was to let her vomit every day and live a miserable life with an inflamed digestive tract or feed her grain free foods and hope that the side affects were less problematic than the allergies. I should have known better than convert to PPP as one of the main ingredients in their "sensitive skin and stomach" formula is oats, which one would think wouldn't be a problem, but apparently is to our allergic girl. She reacted almost immediately and went right back to vomiting daily, where she hadn't had a problem for over 4 years on the grain free diet. We can only hope for the best regarding possible side effects.
Great reply Jim. Dogs are different just like humans. We all have our likes, dislikes, and things that don't sit well with us. I think that is why we have so many different types of dog foods as well. I hope your girl does well with whatever food you find for her.

Your not going to get mercury poisoning from dog food.
Great reply Jim. Dogs are different just like humans. We all have our likes, dislikes, and things that don't sit well with us. I think that is why we have so many different types of dog foods as well. I hope your girl does well with whatever food you find for her.
We have so many types of dog food because it is a huge money making business.

No as I don't eat dogfood. I did research and mercury content in Salmon is not high until you feed it for years. Heavy metals seem to stay in the body. That is why large fish have more Mercury then small younger fish.

As I stated I just stay away from it. For some it maybe a viable risk.

I understand and know that it is a money making business. But the fact still remains different dogs do better on different foods. Even the price on dog food doesn't indicate it is a better food. Everyone who owns a business is trying to make money. Some are better at marketing and tend to make more, but in the end I as the consumer need to feed what I think is best for my dogs. I try to leave the fancy packaging and advertising out of my decisions.

Dogs like ourselves are defined by our genetics. Find a food that works for your dog based on research from the manufacturer. Most do not have the research. There is a lot of info not provided on the bag, like digestible protein. This does make selection more confusing. The only way to know if the food works for your dog is trial and error. No one food is the best for all breeds. I feed breed-based Royal Canin year round and add canned RC during hunting excursions. My $.02

Old Roy is great dog food!
Old Roy is such a poor quality dog food that the Humane Society where I lived wouldn't accept it if someone wanted to donate it.

Old Roy is such a poor quality dog food that the Humane Society where I lived wouldn't accept it if someone wanted to donate it.
My main hunting buddy feeds nothing but old roy. His dogs look and preform fine. Personally, I'm not a big believer in all the hype in the dogfood world, But I won't take the risk on the cheap stuff either..

No as I don't eat dogfood. I did research and mercury content in Salmon is not high until you feed it for years. Heavy metals seem to stay in the body. That is why large fish have more Mercury then small younger fish.

As I stated I just stay away from it. For some it maybe a viable risk.
I went fishing for salmon outside of Buffalo, NY years ago. Back then, there were signs everywhere warning about toxins in the fish and recommended limits on eating the contaminated Salmon. I gave all my fish away at the end of the trip, so I get it.

My daughter has had some health issues and her Dr's at the Mayo Clinic recommended a complete overhaul on her diet including avoiding dairy, eggs and most meats due to the antibiotics and growth hormones in it. She was also told not to eat eat any fish that is "farm raised". At the time, I was thinking the fish outside Buffalo would be considered "wild caught". That didn't provide me with much comfort. Oats and grains were one thing she was encouraged to eat. Researching food for her, we read about residual Round Up in oats and grains, which makes its way into our oatmeal and cereal in trace amounts...and likely vegetables, grass the cows eat and dog food. Great.

I am feeding Pro Plan 30/20 to my hunting dogs because both breeders I got the dogs from recommended it and I can get it from multiple sources. I spoke with both breeders about another popular brand for hunting dogs but both recommended against it. They tried it and it didn't work for their dogs. Both said their dogs lost weight when feeding it and they went back to PPP. That was my starting point.

I have considered switching brands but I resist it. I don't know if Inukshuk or NutriSource are better but they would likely be what I would try. I live in the country and can not have mail or dog food delivered to my home address. Outside of a small TSC, Menards and Scheels would be two of the primary sources of NutriSource for me and both are 4 hours away in Kansas City. Anything from Chewy like Inukshuk has to go to my son's house in Kansas City too. That is part of the reason I feed PPP. I can get it locally. That and my dogs seem to be healthy on it. They eat it readily, coat..poop...all the things we are told indicate good heath and food is there, so I keep feeding it. I keep telling myself to stop trying to fix something that doesn't seem to be broken and even if it is broken, how I am I going to know? How much can firm poop vary between brands of food? Not sure the whole poop thing means anything anyway other than I'm not over feeding. I'm not smart enough to know if I should even worry about ingredients or just focus on nutrients and the end result....which is basically what I am doing...right or wrong.

I have been feeding Diamond Naturals lamb or chicken for many many years without issue. It has been harder to find so we have bought some of the dog food that Diamond makes for Costco. Same labeled ingredients in the same order and it looks like what comes from the Diamond bag but a few bucks per bag cheaper. Dogs do well on it.

Mosby , I feed ppp 30/20 and found my dogs actually do better on Victor high pro 30/20. If that is available to you maybe try that. But if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Mosby , I feed ppp 30/20 and found my dogs actually do better on Victor high pro 30/20. If that is available to you maybe try that. But if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
Weimdogman, I cleaned up after my dogs this morning and decided to leave things well enough alone for now. I have a 2 yr GSP and just got a 9 week old Vizsla pup. I was concerned about the pup in particular with the food but he has adjusted really well, looks good and has no stomach issues. Easy clean up. I can't come up with a reason to change, so I am not going to. Easier on the dogs. I think its good to be open minded about food and brands though and there are probably more than a few brands our dogs would do just as well on. Something we all might have to figure out again if prices, formulas and availability continue to change. Thanks.

I switched over from PPP to Victor Hi-Pro plus and will not look back. It’s a great food and works well for my Lab.

Back