Statistical research

The one in the guns chamber when the bird flushes. :thumbsup:

that's tough to do cause there are so many high quality non-toxic and lead shell makers nowadays like Rio, Kent, B&P, Polywad, RST to name a few.

one thing i do like is the variation of hull colors now vrs the standard yellow, red, green, black. okay that's a little weird but still it's neat.

i am sure 'FSanchez' feels that HeviShot is the best of the best. :D

Am I to understand that there is truly not much difference when it comes to what you put in your chamber?

The reason I posted this is because I'm still a relatively new pheasant hunter. I want to make sure I am the most effective I can be. (There's no denying a heavily laden game bag makes the experience a whole lot more enjoyable...)

I've tried federal premium, I've tried prairie storms. Both are good shells, I've killed roosters with both. I want to try something new if for nothing else but to make sure I'm not missing something better.

one thing i do like is the variation of hull colors now vrs the standard yellow, red, green, black. okay that's a little weird but still it's neat.

i am sure 'FSanchez' feels that HeviShot is the best of the best. :D

I admit, quite reluctantly, that color has been a factor in my shell choices before. Silly, but like you said, it's neat to use something other than the standard.

And I was warned about the hevishot... :) no spam so far!

The shell of proper velocity and pellet size for the intended quarry that patterns best in YOUR gun is far more important than the brand IMHO.

That said, I have always liked Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6s in my 16 bore guns.

Bob

The shell of proper velocity and pellet size for the intended quarry that patterns best in YOUR gun is far more important than the brand IMHO.

Bob

I guess that's something I hadn't considered; matching the shell to the gun. I guess I have a different type of research to do now.

The cheapest 2 3/4" 1.25 oz. number 5 shot.

Bob

I think Bob M has hit it square- they say that a 16ga is the most pure ratio of barrel diameter to standard shot load (1oz) and will have the best shot string (16ga has 0.662" bore and ballistically equal to 1oz load per the experts).
Bob Brister author of "shotgunning- the Art and Science" did extensive work with various shell loads in the various gauges. We all know how it is recommended to pattern a load onto a 30" circle but he took it one step further and had his wife tow a shot board behind her station wagon (I think at 40mph) and he shot the board as it was moving. He found some surprising results when the shot string went from being static to actually being swung onto a target. In short he found that too long of a shot string does not pattern as well as a shorter (more "square") shot string.
This he said was important to keep in mind when shooting shells of given lengths in the various gauges. I.e. when shooting a 3" 20ga there is more stringing then in a 3" 12 gauge due to bore size difference.

B&P MB Long range in 5s and I have shot lots of different brands. Fio kick too much and have had a few duds or the brass expands to much.

Purple is very popular around here. I would shoot purple shells, no problem. :thumbsup:

I like Winchester 1 1/4 oz #5 in 12 gauge. They're not purple, but they sure are effective on pheasants.

:cheers:

Purple is NOT pretty...I guess I just hate seeing the purple paint everywhere. I use Remington Nitro in 7.5 shot. 12 gauge. And I've never shot the expensive shells. I imagine they are better. My steel and Turkey loads are also Nitros out of the 12 gauge.

I like Federal Premium too. The orange box. Nice balance between performance (shot loading and speed) and cost.

Do not see many boxes of Purple (16g) shells on the shelves these days.

Back