Statistical research

Curious PheasantWhisperer bout comment of purple everywhere? Do you meand seeing hulls on ground? Hope not, find it irritating when others don't pick up their emptys...plus why would you wanna tip off to others where the birds are?
I like the Rem Nitros, my most memoriable pheasants was due to a Nitro-mag #4. I am not against the big three for shells (Fed, Rem, Win) but have discovered over past few yrs there are other shells out there just as good maybe a touch better. If for more then anything they offer slightly different choices i.e. RST and B&P offer a #7 shot. This seems to be the cat's meow as the second shot when hunting woodcock/grouse and the first shot when in an area of quail/pheasants.
Another thing I have found in the past 2 years are the shells made by RIO, who just opened a new factory in TX. Already their shells are very competative price wise roughly $6-9 25rd box and if you look at reviews on sites like Cabellas guys seem to really like their performance. I myself have been pleased, used their steel shot in SD this past DEC and birds dropped dead in a 20ga.
One other thing- my brother that same trip had 3" high velocity steel shot factory loads (13-1400 fps) and noticed difficulty with ejecting the rounds out of his pump. Gun was not dirty and had no issue if he switched to a lower velocity shell. I had a simulair issue with 3" HV steel years ago in IA in my O/U. Either the 2nd barrel would not fire or there was resistance with opening the chamber. I wonder if the HV shells are getting too powerful for current gun actions? HV shells also really rattle the fillings in my teeth.

Oh yeah forgot to say this earlier and maybe most know about it but there is a search program on the internet that shows the current pricing of ammo of all sorts from various dealers. It has a search feature to break down what you want by gauge, shell size, shot size, maker etc.

ammoseek.com

Curious PheasantWhisperer bout comment of purple everywhere? Do you meand seeing hulls on ground? Hope not, find it irritating when others don't pick up their emptys...plus why would you wanna tip off to others where the birds are?
I like the Rem Nitros, my most memoriable pheasants was due to a Nitro-mag #4. I am not against the big three for shells (Fed, Rem, Win) but have discovered over past few yrs there are other shells out there just as good maybe a touch better. If for more then anything they offer slightly different choices i.e. RST and B&P offer a #7 shot. This seems to be the cat's meow as the second shot when hunting woodcock/grouse and the first shot when in an area of quail/pheasants.
Another thing I have found in the past 2 years are the shells made by RIO, who just opened a new factory in TX. Already their shells are very competative price wise roughly $6-9 25rd box and if you look at reviews on sites like Cabellas guys seem to really like their performance. I myself have been pleased, used their steel shot in SD this past DEC and birds dropped dead in a 20ga.
One other thing- my brother that same trip had 3" high velocity steel shot factory loads (13-1400 fps) and noticed difficulty with ejecting the rounds out of his pump. Gun was not dirty and had no issue if he switched to a lower velocity shell. I had a simulair issue with 3" HV steel years ago in IA in my O/U. Either the 2nd barrel would not fire or there was resistance with opening the chamber. I wonder if the HV shells are getting too powerful for current gun actions? HV shells also really rattle the fillings in my teeth.

Talking about purple paint on the trees. The people around here that lease do that because they dont wanna spend any more money on signs. Not shotgun hulls. I rarely see a purple hull.

Oh so purple means it is leased, is that MO state law or custom? You won't find much leased land in the upper part of MI, I think downstate there is more of it as the deer are bigger down there and much more private land, most land here is leased for deer vrs birds.
If you have not been to MI before you will be surprised at the amount of state land available when you come in OCT. Would be nice to have more choices in game birds vrs woodcock and grouse...but they are fun to hunt.
My new favorite color is a lime green for the B&P 16ga shells I use, they are the #7 shot I mentioned...

Oh so purple means it is leased, is that MO state law or custom? You won't find much leased land in the upper part of MI, I think downstate there is more of it as the deer are bigger down there and much more private land, most land here is leased for deer vrs birds.
If you have not been to MI before you will be surprised at the amount of state land available when you come in OCT. Would be nice to have more choices in game birds vrs woodcock and grouse...but they are fun to hunt.
My new favorite color is a lime green for the B&P 16ga shells I use, they are the #7 shot I mentioned...
its means no trespassing leased or not. winchesters and fiocchis. 10:D

Yeah purple means no trespassing in general. But around here you can tell when ground is leased because they go way overboard with the purple paint. I hunt a place that is leased for deer, they still let me bird hunt after gun season is over. There are trees with paint on them about every 100 feet on the property lines. Cant believe the landowner allows it. But he's gettin paid I guess. Sorry, way off subject...Way more than ten words...Have had way too much coffee already.

20ga, your average 1oz lead 6s
12ga, your average 1 1/4oz lead 5s or Steel 1 1/16 - 1 1/8oz of 3s.
I keep it simple.

Tim

2 3/4 #5 copper plated lead by Federal or Fiochi.

12GA Maxus-1-3/8 or 1-1/2 #5 reloads
12GA Lanber O/U 1-1/4 #5 reloads (light gun)
Wild pheasant loads

Hi all, low pressure reloads, 1 1/8oz #5, 7000psi and 1200fps, 12ga & 16ga

Best!

Greg

I got a box from a local reloader with a warranty it would kill birds at 65 yards. Roosters shot at 30 yards were inedible.

My best year of shooting, I used 3" 20 gauge steel, 4 shot. The majority of the breasts had little to no damage. Eighteen out of twenty roosters shot at went in the bag. Not bragging, just saying wounding birds was not a big problem. No shots over 40 yards.

Since going to heavier shells, breasts are more damaged. What are your favorite shells doing to the meat/wounding rate?

gjw: i agree with you and prefer shells no higher then 1300fps, hate my fillings getting rattled.

Crossing Shot- what was the breakdown of the shells that you bought as reloads with such a reported good performance? Not trying to sound incredulous but curious because have heard of other handloads that guys have tweeked...cannot recall the details but there is a guy who writes the shotshell articles for Shooting Sportsman and few issues ago published recipes to make some highly effecient pheasant loads using non-toxic (not steel shot). I am not sure my reloading skills are up to the challenge of making loads i would wanna depend on when out hunting.

meat damage to birds i shot usually only occur if i hit em too close to me...but i also prefer more open chokes and if a bird goes down, i don't shoot further and i rely on my dogs to find the bird...knock on wood but cannot remember last time i lost a hit bird...have spent up to 1/2 hr at times looking for the one shot and wounded...

FYI-
The article writer is TOM ROSTER and he does the "Shot Talk" articles in Shooting Sportsman. They have been very informative pieces regarding shotshells.

Crossing Shot- what was the breakdown of the shells that you bought as reloads with such a reported good performance? Not trying to sound incredulous but curious because have heard of other handloads that guys have tweeked...cannot recall the details but there is a guy who writes the shotshell articles for Shooting Sportsman and few issues ago published recipes to make some highly effecient pheasant loads using non-toxic (not steel shot). I am not sure my reloading skills are up to the challenge of making loads i would wanna depend on when out hunting....

I do not remember. Know it was lead #5. I will try to remember to ask this fall. I like #6 lead that he reloads. Good for both quail and pheasant. If a covey gets up, will switch to 7.5.

Back