Rifle scopes

jmac

I need a new Rifle scope for my 270. My problem is I can't make up my mind. I have looked at swarovski, leupold, nightforce, zeiss, nikon, bushnell, burris, and more. I've Swarovski and Nightforce Because, I can't see spending that much on a scope, right now anyway. The leuplod vx-3 I like alot, But I all ready have one on another Rifle, In long range B/c rectile, and is sill rather expensive.

My question , can some one tell me anything good or bad about Zeiss, Nikon, Or Bushnell Rifle scopes? Do they have a life time warranty? Do these companies stand by them if they do?

Sorry I can't help with the Zeiss, Nikon or Bushnell scopes. But if it was me I'd stay with the Leupold. I have Leupold VX-II scopes on my rifles and have never had an issue. iknow the VX-3 is a better scope but for them oney the VX-II's can't be beat.

Take a look at the Bushnell 4200 series. Very nice for the money. I have one in 3X to 9X. It is every bit as clear as my Vari-X III.

Lock and Load! :D

Sorry I can't help with the Zeiss, Nikon or Bushnell scopes. But if it was me I'd stay with the Leupold. I have Leupold VX-II scopes on my rifles and have never had an issue. iknow the VX-3 is a better scope but for them oney the VX-II's can't be beat.

Thank you zeb, I have not taken the VX-II's into consideration. The Zeiss is good for the money. I might have to bight the bullet and spend, the money on the VX-III Or Vx-II. :)

Take a look at the Bushnell 4200 series. Very nice for the money. I have one in 3X to 9X. It is every bit as clear as my Vari-X III.

Lock and Load! :D

Michigan Gunner,

The Scope I'm replacing Is a Bushnell 4200 Series. The scope was great until, I took it on an airplain ride to Wyoming. On the way back to PHX, the Cross hairs Broke. I bought the Gun and scope, Second hand and Bushnell, Would not Honor the Warranty. NO receipt for it. Limited Warranty. The airline company Would honor there F Up. Was in a hard case , but what ever.

I think i'm leaning towards Zeiss or Leupold. Nikon is a possible 3rd choice.

Any body else want to weigh inn?

I have been a Leupold guy for a long time and don't even want to know how many are in the gun safe downstairs. They are tough to beat for sure. Can't speak for how the honor their warranty as I have never had to go down that route. :) I am a firm believer in buying as good as you can afford though so if the Vari X-III fits the budget do it. Have spent some time looking at the Zeiss and they are nice as are the Nikon's from what I have heard.

I do not shoot my rifles as much as I used too but if I was going to buy a scope today I would really look at the Swarovski line. They are the one scope that I have picked up that I could clearly say were superior to the Leupolds. Spend some time comparing the two head to head and you will see what I mean. Other advantage you get is the wider range of variable power you can get. The frequency of use for the scope would come into play in the decision and also the amount of current gun funds at the time. In my opinion you will not go wrong with either of the two.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. BTW, what kind of gun is this going on? Just curious.

Matt D

Take a look at the Zeiss conquest I've had one on my 340 Weatherby since the year after they came out. Zero problems, tracks well, holds zero and in my opinion clearer than anything in it's price class to my eyes. Check with Doug at Cameraland.com I think he has some refurbished scopes at great prices and they come with a full warranty.....Van

I have been a Leupold guy for a long time and don't even want to know how many are in the gun safe downstairs. They are tough to beat for sure. Can't speak for how the honor their warranty as I have never had to go down that route. :) I am a firm believer in buying as good as you can afford though so if the Vari X-III fits the budget do it. Have spent some time looking at the Zeiss and they are nice as are the Nikon's from what I have heard.

I do not shoot my rifles as much as I used too but if I was going to buy a scope today I would really look at the Swarovski line. They are the one scope that I have picked up that I could clearly say were superior to the Leupolds. Spend some time comparing the two head to head and you will see what I mean. Other advantage you get is the wider range of variable power you can get. The frequency of use for the scope would come into play in the decision and also the amount of current gun funds at the time. In my opinion you will not go wrong with either of the two.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. BTW, what kind of gun is this going on? Just curious.

Matt D

Matt,

rifle is A tc encore, Fluted bull barrel, stainless steel. Its the second best gun I have as fare as nail pounder goes. I use it as a deer rifle. :)

Take a look at the Zeiss conquest I've had one on my 340 Weatherby since the year after they came out. Zero problems, tracks well, holds zero and in my opinion clearer than anything in it's price class to my eyes. Check with Doug at Cameraland.com I think he has some refurbished scopes at great prices and they come with a full warranty.....Van

Cougervan,

I am doing that, the Zeiss is up front right now.:)

Matt,

rifle is A tc encore, Fluted bull barrel, stainless steel. Its the second best gun I have as fare as nail pounder goes. I use it as a deer rifle. :)

Sweet gun. I am a bolt guy but have looked at some TC's. Love fluted barrel's.

Don't think you can go wrong with any of the scopes you are looking at.

Matt D

Sweet gun. I am a bolt guy but have looked at some TC's. Love fluted barrel's.

Don't think you can go wrong with any of the scopes you are looking at.

Matt D

Yes Matt, I have more than a few Bolt, rifles. Several High end Kimbers. This Tc Is still the 2nd or 3rd best shooting gun,I have. Thats why I am asking whay you all think. And thank you for your coments.:)

Yes Matt, I have more than a few Bolt, rifles. Several High end Kimbers. This Tc Is still the 2nd or 3rd best shooting gun,I have. Thats why I am asking whay you all think. And thank you for your coments.:)

I love my shotguns but there is just something about a rifle. For flat out hunting nothing beats a synthetic but I love a great looking piece of wood, high gloss blue finish and a nice scope sitting on top of it all.

Do the Weatehrby's catch your eye? Seems guys either hate them or love them, not much middle ground for most.

Didn't expect to get into a rifle discussion on a pheasant hunting site. that's great!

Matt D

I love my shotguns but there is just something about a rifle. For flat out hunting nothing beats a synthetic but I love a great looking piece of wood, high gloss blue finish and a nice scope sitting on top of it all.

Do the Weatehrby's catch your eye? Seems guys either hate them or love them, not much middle ground for most.

Didn't expect to get into a rifle discussion on a pheasant hunting site. that's great!

Matt D

Nothing wrong with Weatherby's Imo. The pheasant season is winding down, and the guys and gals, on the sight, have alot of interests, other than Pheasants. Not to mention Knowledge. So I am trying to pick up on that Knowledge. :)

What is your budget? Do you have beer money or champaign money to spend?

The Zeiss Conquest or the new Meopta 1" MeoPro scopes are the best bang for the buck scopes right now. I've seen the MeoPro in 3-9 on net specials for $399. Looking through a Meopta is like looking through a Swarovski for less than 1/2 the price!

What is your budget? Do you have beer money or champaign money to spend?

The Zeiss Conquest or the new Meopta 1" MeoPro scopes are the best bang for the buck scopes right now. I've seen the MeoPro in 3-9 on net specials for $399. Looking through a Meopta is like looking through a Swarovski for less than 1/2 the price!

CRP,

I don't want to spend more than 800. Thank you , I will look into The meopta.:)

I just went through this process and ended up buying the leupold vxII.

Bought it online at optics planet.

Best price I could find with free shipping. I put it on the new X bolt 7mm-08 I bought.

JMAC , I like Burris, they treat me right! It is nice they are local. Glass is clear and for the money they are a good scope!!! Shattered my eye piece for some reason when I shot the cannon, took it over and they fixed it, no charge!!! I have several!!!!!

JMAC , I like Burris, they treat me right! It is nice they are local. Glass is clear and for the money they are a good scope!!! Shattered my eye piece for some reason when I shot the cannon, took it over and they fixed it, no charge!!! I have several!!!!!

Thank you bleu,

I'll look into them. Cant seem to find Better , for the money, I want to spend then, Zeiss or leupold. The Meopta , Meopro, Looked good , but rectile is not what I want for the money. I may have to pony up For a Top end Vx-III . I want a 3.5 x 10x 50 Long range rectile or better. I might be dreaming. :)

I have a 4.5- 14 full field II with a ballistic plex reticle that is dead nuts out to 720 yds. I shoot a lot and each cross hair will be different for each caliber, but mine is honed in now!!!

Thank you bleu,

I'll look into them. Cant seem to find Better , for the money, I want to spend then, Zeiss or leupold. The Meopta , Meopro, Looked good , but rectile is not what I want for the money. I may have to pony up For a Top end Vx-III . I want a 3.5 x 10x 50 Long range rectile or better. I might be dreaming. :)

I think for most big game hunting appplications that 3.5-10 is about optimum on both ends of the spectrum. 50 mm is great for those last few minutes of legal light, especially if it is cloudy. One thing to keep in mind with the 50 is it will take higher rings and I have had the occasional gun that just didn't feel right with the 50 on it because of the height.

Enjoy the search as that is a lot of the fun!

Matt D

Back