Real World Hunting Noise Example....sort of

Not sure I have seen Golden Hour post recently, is he OK?? Was he serious about selling fireworks?? If so, maybe that short season deal has consumed all his time lately. Hope he is working on habitat also!

Hey Remy, I'm alive and well. Yes, I am seriously a firework salesman. Full time job, year round. Obviously when you put 95%+ of your annual profits into a three day window, there's a lot of prep and cleanup. But, it's a perfect trade off as I have every Friday afternoon off of work from Sept to April. There really isn't a better bonus for a pheasant hunter, IMO.

I did a lot of replants this year on my large cedar belt. I have plans for two plots of short, three row belts of False Indigo and some type of bush. One is started, the other I'm waiting until the conservation district gets matting put in.

Good to see you back. I bet that fireworks is a crazy time for the brief time you can sell them.

What is with the cedars, I lost 7 that had been in the ground since 2017 this past winter. Must have been hard on them going into the winter quite dry and the winter was a frickin roller coaster on the temps and no snow cover.

Keep improving the habitat, those cedars in the shelter belts are saviors during snow blizzards. Wild plums seem to thrive the best down here, but they do sucker and run which if you are OK with that, they are a good choice. Gray dogwood did decent and arrow wood also. I really wanted the hazelnuts to take off, but something is not quite right and they seem to struggle where I have them.

Good to see you back. I bet that fireworks is a crazy time for the brief time you can sell them.

What is with the cedars, I lost 7 that had been in the ground since 2017 this past winter. Must have been hard on them going into the winter quite dry and the winter was a frickin roller coaster on the temps and no snow cover.

Keep improving the habitat, those cedars in the shelter belts are saviors during snow blizzards. Wild plums seem to thrive the best down here, but they do sucker and run which if you are OK with that, they are a good choice. Gray dogwood did decent and arrow wood also. I really wanted the hazelnuts to take off, but something is not quite right and they seem to struggle where I have them.
Fireworks is as hyper-seasonal as it gets. Fun, but there isn't much time for anything but, starting as soon as we send out pricing and picking up steam right up to the 4th.

The ground that I manage is really sandy. I tried both plums and laurel leaf willows. Neither species took off, so I'm doing the entire belt with Eastern Red Cedars. In fact, I planted those plums in 2019, had two leftover and the ones I put in my yard are now about 8 feet tall and the ones out at my hunting spot are just bushy down by the base. Sometimes, if the soil isn't right, they just aren't going to grow. Just have to work around and find something that does.

ERC is a mercurial beast at times. Seems like once they get established they are good to go and then, nope! Pull and replant. But they are an undeniable resource for the pheasants, especially in the heart of winter.

I had the same experience but with hazelnut. Planted a row (just 50 in 2007), had one left over, planted it in my back yard and in a couple years it was 10 feet tall and wider than that at the canopy! I didn't imagine the soils were that much different but something was different. The same ones planted in the shelter belt have not got anything like that in 15 years. Planted another 400 of them in 2016 (was hoping for ones like in my backyard) and they are only doing marginally better than the 2007 plantings. The worst preforming shrubs I have tried were Service berry (June berry), they were a real dud in my dirt.

In 10 years those cedars will really be getting growing and be turning into a great winter refuge. This kind of habitat work, is not what I call work at all!

It's funny but the older I have gotten the more I stress about noise in the field and shutting truck doors etc. I about need a Xanax to hunt hunt with a group anymore because i think we've put the whole field of birds on notice before we even get moving 😆. But then I think back of my college days hunting in groups of folks and making all kinds of noise and cutting up with each other the whole time we hunted and always got on plenty of birds. I don't know what's best but I know the noise sure bothers me now lol

It's funny but the older I have gotten the more I stress about noise in the field and shutting truck doors etc. I about need a Xanax to hunt hunt with a group anymore because i think we've put the whole field of birds on notice before we even get moving 😆. But then I think back of my college days hunting in groups of folks and making all kinds of noise and cutting up with each other the whole time we hunted and always got on plenty of birds. I don't know what's best but I know the noise sure bothers me now lol
You know it may be Roosters are getting smarter to hunting pressures. I know wherever I hunt I am extremely quiet when getting out of the truck, and walking the fields.

You know it may be Roosters are getting smarter to hunting pressures. I know wherever I hunt I am extremely quiet when getting out of the truck, and walking the fields.
I had whistle trained pointers that we ran loud bells on in heavy cover and never thought twice about it. Now my dogs are trained with the pager function on my collar and I try hard to never have to call to them or hit my locator. I hunt totally different now than 20 years ago.

Nobody will ever convince me that an actual wild rooster who hears people/dogs coming 100 yds away is just as easy to hunt as one who doesn't hear you coming until you're only 50 yards away. They just don't wait around. Would you?? No. There's a REASON you get within range of a rooster. Usually it's some level of stealth. People argue, "Yes, but sometimes they sit tight & let you walk right by, even if I'm making noise & my dog's wearing a bell." I'd argue a bird who does that either screwed up in his evasion tactics (which is somewhat rare), or sitting tight, for whatever reason, became his best option for escape, but that's the exception, rather than the rule, with wild pheasants.

Last edited:
I think it depends a lot on the birds you're hunting. Private land dummies who haven't been pressured three to four times a week are able to tolerate more shouting, doors closing, bells ringing and whistles blowing than your mature, public land rooster that's had his backside peppered a time or two. It's why I love to hunt public land and find more satisfaction in doing so.

I think it depends a lot on the birds you're hunting. Private land dummies who haven't been pressured three to four times a week are able to tolerate more shouting, doors closing, bells ringing and whistles blowing than your mature, public land rooster that's had his backside peppered a time or two. It's why I love to hunt public land and find more satisfaction in doing so.
True, & I feel the same way about public land birds. But as we know, even the dummies don't WANT to die. They can sometimes tolerate more than pressured birds, but they still don't just wait around after they realize something's up. A hunter's odds increase the longer he can delay that realization.

Nobody will ever convince me that an actual wild rooster who hears people/dogs coming 100 yds away is just as easy to hunt as one who doesn't hear you coming until you're only 50 yards away. They just don't wait around. Would you?? No. There's a REASON you get within range of a rooster. Usually it's some level of stealth. People argue, "Yes, but sometimes they sit tight & let you walk right by, even if I'm making noise & my dog's wearing a bell." I'd argue a bird who does that either screwed up in his evasion tactics (which is somewhat rare), or sitting tight, for whatever reason, became his best option for escape, which is the exception, rather than the rule, with wild pheasants.
I agree A5.

One observation/conclusion I have come to, is that it's much, much harder to get a 6-person party limit than 6 single hunters.

Lots of factors impact that conclusion, but I believe noise is a big factor. I have a friend that uses an auto, and he always hits the button to release the bolt as we step away from the truck and many times birds will flush up to 200 yards away, sometimes further.

Other friends are inclined to use their voice (yell) to control their dogs and birds are usually flushing well out of range.

No way to know how many just run to safety - never to be seen.

Now I have revealed 2 of my pet peeves. I still do hunt with them on occasion however.

Come on A5, on your thinking they fly/run as soon they know you are there and you are within several yards once they realize this? Every bird my dog has ever pointed I am sure knew we were there and we are on top of most of them at that "point". I don't think we are giving concealment enough credit as a defense tactic. Maybe you should see a good pointer work, not just flushers. Once pointed, all of us with pointing dogs have had to stomp around to finally get the bird to fly (sometimes right under your chin), that isn't real unusual. Less often the dog has to litterly dig the bird out of the understory of grass that it has buried it's self into.

My experience of pheasant hunting is limited to about 99% private land. I have plenty of that available and my thinking is to leave the public ground to the fellas without the connections to get on private ground. Once every season or two I will try a piece of IHAP or state owned ground late in the season, more for a change of scenery than anything else. Maybe on the public area, after the first few weeks, the remaining (surviving) birds are the ones that run/fly rather than conceal....that would make more sense to me...pretty much what GS said.

Our hunting experiences can vary quite a bit it seems, as we are only 100 miles away! Maybe the biggest differeces in our experiences is due the the hunting pressure of the cover we have available. I think I just had a "light-bulb" moment, maybe just a 40 watt.

Only 14 weeks til the Iowa opener!

I think about it this way. The more birds that sit and get killed the less of those birds there are to breed in the spring. The ones that run or fly early and don't get killed live to breed. Maybe the evasion tactics are getting bred into them in a sense.

Come on A5, on your thinking they fly/run as soon they know you are there and you are within several yards once they realize this? Every bird my dog has ever pointed I am sure knew we were there and we are on top of most of them at that "point". I don't think we are giving concealment enough credit as a defense tactic. Maybe you should see a good pointer work, not just flushers. Once pointed, all of us with pointing dogs have had to stomp around to finally get the bird to fly (sometimes right under your chin), that isn't real unusual. Less often the dog has to litterly dig the bird out of the understory of grass that it has buried it's self into.

My experience of pheasant hunting is limited to about 99% private land. I have plenty of that available and my thinking is to leave the public ground to the fellas without the connections to get on private ground. Once every season or two I will try a piece of IHAP or state owned ground late in the season, more for a change of scenery than anything else. Maybe on the public area, after the first few weeks, the remaining (surviving) birds are the ones that run/fly rather than conceal....that would make more sense to me...pretty much what GS said.

Our hunting experiences can vary quite a bit it seems, as we are only 100 miles away! Maybe the biggest differeces in our experiences is due the the hunting pressure of the cover we have available. I think I just had a "light-bulb" moment, maybe just a 40 watt.

I think you both are right. I'm about 60% private land.

With my Britts we do sometimes get a bird to hold tight and needs to be forced to fly, especially with snow on the ground but not always.

Most often a pointed bird will hold for my dogs until I get close, sometimes 10 yards, sometimes 5 feet. It's been my experience that when hunting with my buddies referenced above, that birds will flush wild and out of range associated with unnecessary noise.

Size of the area I'm hunting also seems to matter. Small areas which I like to hunt are more likely to have birds flush more wild and I have more success when there is very little noise.

In large areas I think they will run when spooked if possible. Thats when the dog really earns their keep.

Just an observation, out here in family farm dairy country, birds will tolerate a fair amount of noise, probably because the fields and pastures are more frequently visited by equipment, and when the corn is being taken in, it probably means loose corn is on the ground following the noisy machines.

(Not a study, just an observation. YMMV)

Public land birds definitely run more than private birds. But my dogs don’t find it sporting unless the birds get a head start,,, yep they’re that good😂😂

In all seriousness though I’m a quiet hunter , I think most of the people commenting probably are. I don’t slam doors or drop the tailgate , even a kennel door can make a lot of noise if you let it.
I like to talk to my dogs when hunting they’re my buddies. But its never real loud and a come is a psst and a head gesture , or a tone on the collar. Bells aren’t everyday but sometimes necessary the alternative screaming and hollering or I guess a whistle , it would probably be just as easy if I was the one wearing the bell.

Last edited:
I do a fair amount of guiding and I always tell young or inexperienced hunters that typically pheasants do one of three things and usually in this order. 1. Run first, they love to run away from any pressure. 2. Hide, they typically run to a spot where they can hide or double back on you to confuse the predator. 3. Fly, as a last resort they fly knowing that predators from the sky are much better in flight than they are. Now put man and dog into that equation and it still holds true for me run. hide, fly!

We're going to kick this around enough that eventually everyone agrees with me. :ROFLMAO: Or at least until enough of us have a 40W bulb come on that we've explained ourselves in an understandable fashion. I like your point about the differences in our hunting. The dog. The cover. Pressure. And yet we're practically next door neighbors.

But "you're thinking they fly/run as soon they know you are there and you are within several yards once they realize this?" isn't really what I'm saying. Sometimes that's true (like real windy days when things work out right). But what it amounts to is this, "The longer it takes a rooster to realize he's not alone, the better your odds become of getting within range of (or pointing) that bird." Even if he can't pinpoint you, if he knows you're there, he's on alert. What it looks like from there can take 1,000 different paths. I think first he'll try to determine where the danger is. Sometimes he's wrong, especially if he's being hunted in an irregular fashion, like zig-zigging, coming at him from a direction he's never experienced before, etc. But if he locates you, even roughly, he'll try to evade you. There are 1,000 ways he can do that, as we know. Sometimes he feels his best option is to sit tight. Sometimes he runs, flies, or whatever. And I understand that a pointer treats a rooster different than a springer does, especially a pointer hunting cover that allows him to range pretty far. But as some point, even a big-running pointer needs to stick a bird, which entails getting close; in many cases, catching up to it (which is why I commonly jog after my flushing dog when he's on a moving bird). I believe THAT'S when concealment happens most often - after you or your dog get close. Many, MANY times roosters flush right under Ace's nose as he dives in to try to catch it (akin to kicking the grass to flush a pointed bird). He's found the concealed bird. And don't get me wrong, concealment is effective. But a man with a dog & shotgun does better than, say, a hawk or owl who relies on vision. But pheasants don't just LET you or your dog get close. You either caught up to them. You surprised them. They ran out of running room. Or whatever. The way I hunt, much of the time I know Ace is on a bird quite a while before we see him, which I believe usually means the bird's trying to elude us. Sometimes, because of how we hunt, we're able to get him to flush in range, whether that be at 5 yards or 35 yards. But I know, if we didn't try to be stealthy, birds would have more time to try to elude us, more would be successful, & we'd have fewer flush in range. Just no question about it in my mind. Similarly, I believe a stealthy pointer or man/pointer team would get more points than a noisy pointer or man/pointer team.

80 days until the SD resident weekend on public land. If my younger daughter is interested, only 66 days until Ace & I can take her out. We can get a ton of pheasant discussion in before our respective big day hits.

Last edited:
Back