Real World Hunting Noise Example....sort of

The bottom line here is that pheasants are wild animals and they are trying to survive on a daily basis. If you can limit, reduce, or eliminate the noise, do it. Its a variable that you have control over, so why wouldn't you at least try to.

I don't think anyone is shooting off fireworks...well maybe GS, if he has a few left-over after season! No, I am not trying to be loud. I might call/talk to my dog, talk to my buddy on occasion if the dogs aren't birdy, but I am always ready. I am just not concerned with being ultra quiet, it might make a difference, but not enough to effect the outcome of the hunts. If the birds were few and far between, I might hunt like many of you here....someday that will likely be the case, but not now. Love a little banter in the off-season!

We're going to kick this around enough that eventually everyone agrees with me. :ROFLMAO: Or at least until enough of us have a 40W bulb come on that we've explained ourselves in an understandable fashion.

So a 40w light bulb or an LED equivalent? (Sorry that's the electrician in me)

This has been a fun thread to read. I've never really thought about the noise I make but this has got me thinking about it. I think for the most part my noise is based on what my dogs doing. Say me and a buddy are hunting, we'll be chatting off and on throughout the field, but if the dogs start getting Birdy it's go time and time to be stealthy lol! Maybe thats why we don't see many birds, or maybe Missouri just doesn't have any birds 🤣🤣, either way, still fun to get out and spend time with dogs and friends.

I was hunting a piece of private land in Western Colorado which hadn’t been hunted since my buddy had bought the place 6 years earlier. It was late December. We were basically hunting cattail sloughs surrounded by grazed pasture. We got out of the truck a couple hundred yards from the slough, and even after advising against noise, etc, my buddy let the truck door close loudly. Upon the closing of the door about 30 birds erupted out of the cattails never to be seen again. Lesson learned?

I've noticed that I get more reasonable shooting when I hunt by myself as opposed to hunting with someone else. The reason? When someone else is with me, we communicate to each other. Its minimal noise, but there is some noise. When I'm by myself, I don't talk. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that element of noise is spooking birds in advance of my arrival. That's also just another reason to hunt solo mission too.

Who is GS? Golden Shour?? Nice i thought this was a family web sight :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 💦
Anyways I think being quiet is important and helps you smack moer roosties which is what i'm all about.

Thats funny the user name is supposed to rhyme with golden shower sounds like a South Dakota thing. Is he the pisser or the one that gets pist on?

Let's see if this works (pasting a video link to start at a particular point).
This was a really interesting rooster at 8:54. We'd hunted down 1 edge of this little slough WITH the wind, hoping any birds that heard us would move either across to the other edge or down to the end/corner, so we could quietly come up into the wind & surprise one. I think it's pretty likely this bird did just what I hoped he would (for a change). Just as we rounded the far end & started coming up into the wind, I could tell Ace thought there was a bird around & was trying to figure it out. So I stopped. Sometimes when he knows he's close, but one's trying its best to give him the slip, Ace will stop to think a bit (and maybe listen??). He stopped. I whispered at him. And the bird flushed practically at my feet. Had he not flushed, & given us just a bit more time, Ace would've eventually figured him out. But I think that rooster got to the end of the line, we were able to quietly round the corner & surprise him. He was trying to give Ace the slip, but in doing so, ran almost into me. He finally had to try to hole up & conceal himself, but could only stand the heat for so long. My whisper to Ace was the last straw & he flushed. I'm quite certain that if we'd been making more noise rounding that corner, the bird would've probably had time to identify our location & run back the other way, & we may never have seen him.
It's also an example of how walking 20 yds (or whatever) inside the edge of a piece of cover (rather than outside the edge) can sometimes help force a bird to the edge, or at least keep him from running back into the middle of the cover where he's safe.

Last edited:
I think it depends a lot on the birds you're hunting. Private land dummies who haven't been pressured three to four times a week are able to tolerate more shouting, doors closing, bells ringing and whistles blowing than your mature, public land rooster that's had his backside peppered a time or two.
"private land dummies," this might be one of the best phrases I've ever seen here. Reminds me of Remy and the birds he hunts. Nothing wrong with it, but I think it sometimes provides him with a narrow view of what others who hunt majority public go through on their hunts.

"private land dummies," this might be one of the best phrases I've ever seen here. Reminds me of Remy and the birds he hunts. Nothing wrong with it, but I think it sometimes provides him with a narrow view of what others who hunt majority public go through on their hunts.
I like that phrase too. We must remember that "dumb" is relative though. Of the thousands & thousands of wild roosters I've flushed over the years, I've maybe encountered 3 truly dumb ones. That's what's so great about pheasant hunting. Even the "dumb" ones can be super challenging. The Einsteins are flat out infuriating & deserve to be shot if possible. The ones that don't let me shoot them one day are the ones that get me back out there the next day.

Last edited:
Back