pup getting possessive

c_d

I have no idea what changed. All of a sudden, our 5.5 mo pup has developed a serious sense of possessiveness. Our puppy trainer had given us a couple exercises to work on to prevent this from becoming an issue. we had worked them some, but let it go a bit too. well, out of nowhere, she gets all stiff on me, and growls as i get near her at the time she had a bully stick, which is her treat usually at night when we're watching TV. I let her have it, and she ran for her crate to hide. I am not letting that kind of behavior persist, but now I don't know what the hell to do. tonight my wife let her have her bully stick, and same thing. she wants to flight, but we have a leash on her to force her to stick around. she'll get comfortable, and if you get close, she tightens up, and gets anxioius and tense. any help is appreciated. this seems young to develop this kind of behaviour, no?

Reach in and take it, if she tries to nip you, tap her, one finger on her nose and a Stearn 'NO". She will get all hyper and want it back right now. Then wait a minute or 2 and give it back to her. Wait about 5 minutes and take it away again. Everything as before. If she runs for her crate during any of this make sure the gate is shut. Make her stay in the room with you. Do this for about 2-3 nights and she should learn you or your can take it anytime you wish. She has to learn you are the alpha dog........Bob

NOTE: There is something you can do to help make her accept you as the alpha dog. Take a Hot Dog. Chop it up in little bit size pieces. When she is to get a treat, roll the hot dog around in your mouth get your saliva all over it real good. Then give it to her. The theory here is the alpha always takes care of the youngster. In the wild the alpha actually let them eat from their mouths. So you are doing that but in a different way.

CD I am a believer in no treats, a couple curnels of dry dog food works just fine for any positive reinforcement training. I would take all that stuff away, and get back to retrieves in the hall way. Put her up in a crate at all times for awhile unless you are working on training. If she does this grab her firmly by the scruff, and hold her down and hold a hand around her neck as to show dominence, you don't have to choke her but it is what k9 do to dominate. She is just displaying hers over you, you need to put a stop to it now. This should do it. You can pull an ear some to give a little yelp while you do it. She will resist at first but hold firm and she will give. That should take care of it after a couple times.

What have you done in training?

Dont ever let her get by with bad behavior, If you let her run and hide after growling and dont do anything then in fact you are rewarding that behavior....

thanks guys. No, I am not letting her get away with that behavior. Just to be clear, when I said, "I let her have it", I meant I gave her a good scolding. I should have explained that more. Her crate is her little safe place, but I made sure i followed her in and took it from her.

All good points, and I'll keep working on her. both my wife and I have definitely done our share of dominating her. One of our nightly routines is actually a version of this. cradle her on her back in my lap. she struggles of course, might try to mouth, I just grab her muzzle, pin her down, etc... then reward with some petting once she settles down and submits. we've limited her toys to just one or two chew items so she can teeth (and seems to give these up no problem). I've been working more on the hallway retrieves and she does seem to be getting better.. for the most part realizing if she brings it back, she gets another.

Of course my big concern was if she was possessive over this, then retrieving would suffer. she has had no bully stick access since this last incident, but her retrieves are getting more consistent. Downside to that amazing nose of hers is she'll get a whiff and start searching parts of the apartment where we have the bully sticks hidden.

Typical for them to get possessive over just one item?

I've got kind of the same thing going on with the possesiveness, expect my 5 month old pup is becoming possesive with me towards my 2 year old dog.

The older dog has always been passive, but my pup I think is trying to show dominance. I mean, my two year old cant even lay on the couch by me without the pup trying to attack her. Its hard to tell if she is being serious all the time or if she is wanting to play, but it has made it so my two year old wont come out of the bedroom if the pup is running around all crazy...like usual.

Got any ideas for that? I think the pup is going to be the alpha of the two, but how do I get them coexist better? The older dog has always been passive, submittive, everything that shows that she wants no part of confrontation.

D, for me these things are the perfect way to intro a collar on low level. Jumping on the counter, garbage, ect. You can put the collar on and let the dog run around for a while, have it verry low, and when he does one of these things you just can't stand and or get to in time, you can give them a nick. I have used it for the same reason several times. I like introing the collar this way. Because it has nothing to do with out side, retrieves, birds, ect. The dog should get the idea very quick to leave the other alone. I did it on a 4 month old the other day for the garbage thing and once is all it took, she is not going for the garbage at all anymore. She has no clue what happened as I had the collar on for a long time after as well. A little ear pull and a NO helps too.

D, for me these things are the perfect way to intro a collar on low level. Jumping on the counter, garbage, ect. You can put the collar on and let the dog run around for a while, have it verry low, and when he does one of these things you just can't stand and or get to in time, you can give them a nick. I have used it for the same reason several times. I like introing the collar this way. Because it has nothing to do with out side, retrieves, birds, ect. The dog should get the idea very quick to leave the other alone. I did it on a 4 month old the other day for the garbage thing and once is all it took, she is not going for the garbage at all anymore. She has no clue what happened as I had the collar on for a long time after as well. A little ear pull and a NO helps too.

That is a great idea except now I have to get a new antenna for the e collar because she chewed the other up the other day.

:rolleyes:

Most of the time at that range so close they will still work, try it on your fingers. Most pups will do this for awhile too, they are in pack mode yet playing and fighting with all the other pups. There is always one or two that become the alpha pup, and the rest learn to back off socializing. Often these are the pups that you describe. They need to learn when to back off. Mom teaches this some as well as sharp teeth from other pups. Some are placed before this is learned, so it's up to the new owner to do it or reinforce it. Your 2 year old may hit a breaking point but you can correct it earlier. You can try to let them know over and over as mentioned below, I was under the impression you have tried. Yes he is right to try that first. If it is not working the collar is a good tool if used right. Good luck

Last edited:
thanks guys. No, I am not letting her get away with that behavior. Just to be clear, when I said, "I let her have it", I meant I gave her a good scolding. I should have explained that more. Her crate is her little safe place, but I made sure i followed her in and took it from her.

All good points, and I'll keep working on her. both my wife and I have definitely done our share of dominating her. One of our nightly routines is actually a version of this. cradle her on her back in my lap. she struggles of course, might try to mouth, I just grab her muzzle, pin her down, etc... then reward with some petting once she settles down and submits. we've limited her toys to just one or two chew items so she can teeth (and seems to give these up no problem). I've been working more on the hallway retrieves and she does seem to be getting better.. for the most part realizing if she brings it back, she gets another.

Of course my big concern was if she was possessive over this, then retrieving would suffer. she has had no bully stick access since this last incident, but her retrieves are getting more consistent. Downside to that amazing nose of hers is she'll get a whiff and start searching parts of the apartment where we have the bully sticks hidden.

Typical for them to get possessive over just one item?

In my opinion lack of Structure and Leadership are the main reason why most dogs have aggressive behavior.
If you pay good money for a dog, then pay good money for a training program, these programs will give your dog the Structure it needs, and it instills in the dog the leadership for him that he needs to function.

If you are not willing to spend 15 minutes a day with a dog training him or her Do not get a dog IMO. Not ment to be offensive.

If the dog is aggressive towards a chew toy. Get rid of it. Take time to do Obedience with your dog with every family member involved your dog just needs structure and when he does what you want REWARD him, if he doesnt do not reward him but dont scold him either, do nothing... and repeat then reward the good behavior.

Kevin

Last edited:

I would never introduce a dog to a collar without teaching what i want from him first JMO.

Thats exactly what this is for, the times you can do nothing with the dog like he is talking about. Yes you are right to try to let it know the behavior is wrong to start with. Sounds like he's tried that.Then the collar. The collar is going to be introed at some point with many people., and these situations are better then field work or retrieves. Especialy for the novice who does not know how to do it useing the table training.

Thats exactly what this is for, the times you can do nothing with the dog like he is talking about. Yes you are right to try to let it know the behavior is wrong to start with. Sounds like he's tried that.Then the collar. The collar is going to be introed at some point with many people., and these situations are better then field work or retrieves. Especialy for the novice who does not know how to do it useing the table training.

Agreed..:)

KES, I noticed in your profile you enjoy training, what type of dogs do you have,? I don't recall seing any pics or anything.Do you enjoy any dog events.? I wish we could get rid of this darn snow so field traing would go better here right now. I am tempted to head down and hoard in on some of these KS boy's to train.

I have nine labs, I run hunt tests when there is nothing to do in the summer and hunt as much as i can... snow is gone here, so i am responding after each dog. doing a double sit up. 220 yards and 260, with a 280 blind just right of the 260 memory bird.

I have 1 to 2 litters a year too. plus have helped train a atistic dog, and have helped some aggresive dogs too, There are pics in some of these threads.

I dont want to steal this thread though. I think alot of this information can help alot of people..

In my opinion Structure and Leadership are the main reason why most dogs have aggressive behavior.
If you pay good money for a dog, then pay good money for a training program, these programs will give your dog the Structure it needs, and it instills in the dog the leadership for him that he needs to function.

If you are not willing to spend 15 minutes a day with a dog training him or her Do not get a dog IMO. Not ment to be offensive.

If the dog is aggressive towards a chew toy. Get rid of it. Take time to do Obedience with your dog with every family member involved your dog just needs structure and when he does what you want REWARD him, if he doesnt do not reward him but dont scold him either, do nothing... and repeat then reward the good behavior.

Kevin

Kevin, I assume you mean, lack of structure and leadership? I completely agree that that lack of it will lead to problems. And no offense taken. I agree if someone doesn't bother to take the time to train, then it's not worth having a dog.

In our house, we work with our dog ever day. She gets at least 3 structured walks a day, plus 1-2 training sessions a day. Along with a weekly session with a trainer.

I'm not saying I haven't missed something, but I haven't quite figured out what I might have done differently that led her to this. Since I haven't been able to pin point it, I've just stepped back a couple and building back up from the basics.

Kevin, I assume you mean, lack of structure and leadership? I completely agree that that lack of it will lead to problems. And no offense taken. I agree if someone doesn't bother to take the time to train, then it's not worth having a dog.

In our house, we work with our dog ever day. She gets at least 3 structured walks a day, plus 1-2 training sessions a day. Along with a weekly session with a trainer.

I'm not saying I haven't missed something, but I haven't quite figured out what I might have done differently that led her to this. Since I haven't been able to pin point it, I've just stepped back a couple and building back up from the basics.

I changed it thank you. In the few dogs i have helped with aggression, non were being trained they just said they were "Alpha" dogs. So does the dog know he is a alpha dog, IMO no he doesnt i believe it is learned behavior.

I have some labs from FC AFC background that you cant give a inch too,they have a tremendous amount of Go, but yet they dont even think about the "alpha" behavior. and they are Males, and i have 5 females and never have a fight when they go into heat, sometimes a growl at each other but that is stopped with a stern QUIET.

Alright, so is this the only growling behavior your dog is having? Do you do Obedience with your dog? Does the family do Obedience with the dog too? Is it just with the Bully stick?

I reread your first post she likes to run to her kennel after she gets the stick correct? and you leash her so she has to stay there? Why cant she go to her kennel to chew on it. Kennel (safe place)( nobody can steal her bone).. Is it in the kennel when she growls?

Has the trainer seen this behavior? Is the dog this way with birds? or has it retrieved birds?

Last edited:
Kevin, she's definitely not alpha. perhaps she's a little too comfortable at home(?). it's just my wife and I, and we do a lot of the obedience together. So far, this issue has just been with the bully stick. when doing tennis ball retrieves she may drop down and chew on the ball instead of bringing it back, but I can get her jump started, and get her to bring it in. Recently going back to basics with the hallway retrieves and working on shorter tosses, on leash, so she has to come straight back no delay.

Yes, it was just the bully stick that she got nasty with (originally on our bed). she was stiff and turned her head away from me, then growled when i reached in. Once in her kennel, she did the same thing - even turned her head toward my hand to get me to back off. can't quite say it was a bite reach, since the stick was in her mouth, but seemed pretty much what she intended. **to clarify, she only ran to her kennel, after I gave her a correction on our bed â??*she jumped off the bed and ran into the living room where her kennel is. for a moment, she came halfway out of her kennel, saw me, and went back in. Typically, she'll chew on the bully stick on the floor, or on a blanket we use for her (if we let her on couch or bed).

trainer hasn't seen it yet. no birds yet either.

I am going to assume this is a lab?

Your dog is most likely teething or almost finished.
It is also at the point were it is getting a mind of its own, (doesnt think it has to come back after a retrieve.
I think there are a few options.
1. get rid if the bully stick.
2. If my dog did this I would sit the dog in front of me with leash on, give the dog the Bully stick, let it hold for a few, if no stiffness or growling i would praise the dog (Good Dog) and maybe a treat( I am not really a treat person) then take it away by saying (DROP) and do it again hoping for the same reaction. If the dog growled i would say NO and take the stick away, then repeat and repeat until you get a (conditioned response) which means the behavior is the same every time, Kinda like Force Fetch the dog doesnt think about it just does it. This could take time.
3. Do what FC Springer said with the E-collar. which is the same thing but a instead of a NO, it will get a (nick) but you might do it so the dog understands the nick as ..... NO (nick)..NO and take the Bully stick.

Dogs want mostly to please if you can work on that concept with rewarding the good behavior i think you will get this fixed quick. :)

Last edited:
Back