Pudelpointer and Drahthaar comparisons please

I have one of each. If you want to see them I'm the field, search MissedAgainYT on YouTube.

LINK: MissedAgainYT

Disposition: Both are exceedingly friendly, but in their own way. PP has a lab personality, has to be with you and touching and goes nuts for attention. DD is happy to just be around you. You could call her more aloof, but that isn't quite the right word. FWIW, I would leave my DD with my neices and nephews and have zero worries, she is the sweetest dog with kids and seems to know they require a softer touch. Both have a great "off-switch". Even at eight years old, the DD is the first to start playing with pups and old dogs alike. It's really funny. The PP has knocked toddlers over, but that was just because he has no sense of the space he takes up. DD tend to have better coats, PP can really be all over the place.

Training: DD was incredibly easy, she came out of the box a hunting machine. Could take pressure, and learned very fast. She was my first gundog, and she dragged me along while she got her NAVHDA VC. PP was a softer dog, took more care in training. That being said, he's a 204 UT dog, and we'll see if he gets his VC next year.

Hunt: DD is an incredibly cautious hunter. Range is dog dependent, not breed dependent, but DD is a closer worker. Her disposition in the field is all business. I truly think she wants every bird to die, and is slightly upset when we leave without getting them all. PP is a bigger running, flashier dog. His points regularly make me do double takes, but I think his thought process is "I just want everyone to have a good time", whether we find birds or not. He's just a goof. Both are great retrievers, but the DD has more drive after the shot. DD tracking ability trumps the PP.

Find a breeding you like, and you'll be happy, regardless of the breed. They are both great dogs. DD gives you the ability to go in "blind" as their breeding requirements are so strict. PP breeding is, unfortunately, less reliable. Go with a NAPPA breeder, and you'll be good. Some breeders go for octane and range, some go for cooperation and mental stability. I've seen PP and DD that I wouldn't ever want in my house, but most of those made sense when I looked at what the breeder was going for.

Best of luck.
Best description of the two I've seen. Both can be\usually are great dogs. Breed standards are strict to a fault for the DDs which is good for us all. Id definitely go DD as far as coat maintenance goes but it again can vary litter to litter.

If looking for a pup it seems to be a good buyers market now.
There will be more gwp.s available in the next few years. VDD is getting even stricter on breeding.🙂

How is the VDD getting more strict?
Are there some good litters coming up that you know about? Around here, I wouldn't call it a buyers market. Versatile pups from good breeders are spendy - $1500- 2500 pretty regularly.

I heard there are going to be restrictions in place regarding kennel area size. Meaning x# of square feet inside and outside per dog.

How is the VDD getting more strict?
Are there some good litters coming up that you know about? Around here, I wouldn't call it a buyers market. Versatile pups from good breeders are spendy - $1500- 2500 pretty regularly.
I looked at your prior posts and it seems you have been looking at drats since 2016?

Truly good breeders never discount their pups. They often keep and train them and sell them as started dogs. Or perhaps they place a dog in a "partnership". Demands are made about training / testing.

Now the other thing is good breeders often have a waiting list. If there isn't demand they don't breed.

That is why they are good breeders.

Yup - they've been on the radar for a minute - but I went in different direction in 2016. Coming up on puppy time as my gsp is nearing 13. I've looked at lots of breeds here lately. Soon it'll be time to put a deposit down.

I got a supposed PP/Lab from an adoption agency. I haven't DNA tested her, not sure if I will.
She has huge paws, loves water Soo much she whines when we drive by. My problem is she hunts everything! When we're out she'll follow and point at what I'm assuming is mice, follow people tracks, head down deer trails. I put feathers in her face but it's what she wants at the time. She's only 1.5 years old. Next year will be her first waterfowl season, and I know she'll love it, we did an hour of bumpers when it was 25 and the lake wasn't frozen after 3 hrs of pheasant.
Normally I have 3 miles of me walking and her running who's knows how much. Is she PP or mix, I'm not sure. But all I know is all she wants to do is hunt. I was between PP/DD/GWP. They'll all hunt. PXL_20240111_234525309.jpgPXL_20231126_150225424.jpgPXL_20231112_154840270.jpg

I got a supposed PP/Lab from an adoption agency. I haven't DNA tested her, not sure if I will.
She has huge paws, loves water Soo much she whines when we drive by. My problem is she hunts everything! When we're out she'll follow and point at what I'm assuming is mice, follow people tracks, head down deer trails. I put feathers in her face but it's what she wants at the time. She's only 1.5 years old. Next year will be her first waterfowl season, and I know she'll love it, we did an hour of bumpers when it was 25 and the lake wasn't frozen after 3 hrs of pheasant.
Normally I have 3 miles of me walking and her running who's knows how much. Is she PP or mix, I'm not sure. But all I know is all she wants to do is hunt. I was between PP/DD/GWP. They'll all hunt. View attachment 7395View attachment 7396View attachment 7397
If your dog is half lab it’s interesting to hear the point is still strong

View attachment 7398I recognize that look… she looks mixed to me, pp won’t have any white. . Coat color and texture look pp
Yeah, that white is interesting. If she's half lab, where'd the white come from? Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. sounds to me like she's going to be a dandy!! Don't worry about the mouse pointing and people tracking. All that tells me is she has some good natural instincts.

Genetics are really interesting. Perhaps you didn't know that white randomly appears in almost all canine dog breeds? White stars,blazes,toes,tip of the tail.

My sister has a 70 lbs lab / Saint Bernard cross. Both parents are pure breeds. Yellow lab and traditional st. bernard ,all 9 pups are almost all black with only random white as I mentioned above. All look like labradors with the largest of the 9 puppies only weighing 90 lbs.

The white on the muzzle seems more wirehair, but other parts might look PP. It's not uncommon to have PP with white, just usually on the chest. Could be mixed with something other than a lab too.

Nothing wrong with a mutt, I was just talking to a AZGFP warden yesterday, said his best buddies quail dogs are all mutts and run circles around these fancy $2k breeds. Then I showed him my game bag and he said maybe those wirehairs are ok too 😆

PXL_20240119_164323008.MP.jpg

Back