Public land newbie

gfo

Looking to make a mid November trip to South Dakota for our first out of state upland hunt. Pretty set on sticking to public land birds and trying to pick a city for base camp with an airbnb. Couple questions:

1. I know populations can experience regional booms or declines based on weather. Should I wait until early summer to pick a location based off the winter and spring nesting weather?

2. Looking at the public land maps, would it be smart to go for quantity or quality? I.e there's much public land in the NE part of the state, but the better pheasant hunting may be in the central part of the state.

Any input or tips for a first timer are much appreciated!

I really like your timing…my favorite time to be out there most years…consider Huron, Redfield, Aberdeen, or smaller towns in those areas. Monitor winter severity, but more importantly, weather from 5/15-6/30….if it’s cold and wet, maybe stay away…if it’s brutally dry and hot, maybe stay away…you need moisture for insect production, that’s all chicks eat for first few weeks…but too much cold and wet weather can be a chick killer too…once you’re there, plan on going 40, 60 miles in different directions if you’re not finding birds.

Last edited:
Another tip. The third full weekend in November is opening weekend of east river rifle deer season. I always try to avoid that weekend. Too many people driving around in, and shooting from, trucks with high power rifles. Makes me nervous for my dog and myself.

Another tip. The third full weekend in November is opening weekend of east river rifle deer season. I always try to avoid that weekend. Too many people driving around in, and shooting from, trucks with high power rifles. Makes me nervous for my dog and myself.
Would that be week of Nov 15 then I take it?

What could I expect during a South Dakota deer season? Deer drives? "Road" hunting?
Been there for 25+ openers…not drives with boots, drives with trucks… ever bothered me, personally…if it keeps pheasant hunters from being there, another reason to go…

Reactions: gfo
If it bothers you hunt up to it…good time to be there regardless...
Not really bothered. I won't be looking like a deer and will have plenty of orange.
Just trying to stay relatively away from other guys and get some miles in on public land

You’ll see lots of elevated deer blinds on private land, don’t think they’re legal on public…lots of trucks driving around 30-60 minutes either side of legal daylight…can’t pheasant hunt til 10 am…
Thanks for this info much appreciated. 22-26 is what works best for me with little kids, Michigan deer opener etc. looking forward to it. Like you said, if it keeps other pheasant hunters away....

I only hunted 2 days, my opinion is, public land has some birds, but they are spooky,and way back in there usually. They will not flush at times,and will double back.Yhose wpa's have great habitat.

Back