Public land newbie

For boots. I watch your videos, see the cattails and the wetlands. Are y'all wearing muck style boots primarily?

Goosemaster has been pushing the sitka pretty hard but they don't seem to have any boots....
Haha. I actually know the guy who owns that company. He lives in bozeman montana.

For boots. I watch your videos, see the cattails and the wetlands. Are y'all wearing muck style boots primarily?

Goosemaster has been pushing the sitka pretty hard but they don't seem to have any boots....
I generally wear my normal hunting boots but always have a pair of muck boots with me if weather or conditions warrant them. If the cattails still have standing water in them I don't walk them I let the dogs do the work, if they point then I will go in. As many have mentioned you need gear for all weather conditions and that would include boots.

I have a pair of Vasque hiking boots that I wear most of the season. Recently, I pulled out my Danner Pronghorns, as they are a bit more waterproof and have a bit more thinsulate. The only time I wear muck boots is when it is raining or the snow is melting and getting soaked is a reality of the hunt. FWIW, muck boots don't fit me well.

Wear what is most comfortable to you.

If the cattails still have standing water in them I don't walk them
This is me too. Stepped into those things one too many times up to my waist.

Better off just waiting for them to freeze up good so you can walk on top. Most seasons that happens by the middle of December. Obviously this year is not the case.

Some years they are bone dry too. Then I'll go in there. I had no reason to walk cattails this past season in MN. They weren't in there. We never got any decent snow and it was never very cold.

In the marshes this year I’ve been wearing gaiters Those and waterproof boots will get me across the street in water a little bit over my boots. If I try to wade a full block I’m gonna get wet but not wring your socks out wet.

I always prefer leather boots, so much more comfy and better ankle support. I only wear muck boots when I have to, which this year was maybe 3 days out of 34 hunts. Muck boots get too hot. I'll go with the "cool" version for my next pair.

I always prefer leather boots, so much more comfy and better ankle support. I only wear muck boots when I have to, which this year was maybe 3 days out of 34 hunts. Muck boots get too hot. I'll go with the "cool" version for my next pair.
Wait a minute! There are “cool” versions of muck boots??

Muck “chore cool” mid shin….wore them
the last 2 days. I often wear them sharpie hunting in early September if the cover is wet…all day, no prob…10 miles +\-. Yes, I prefer light hiking boots, or leather Irish setters, but my chore cool muck’s are great. On my 2nd pair in 4 seasons, mainly because I got them for $57. I also
have a normal height pair of them, I would turn them down 5-6” to shorten them.

Muck “chore cool” mid shin….wore them
the last 2 days. I often wear them sharpie hunting in early September if the cover is wet…all day, no prob…10 miles +\-. Yes, I prefer light hiking boots, or leather Irish setters, but my chore cool muck’s are great. On my 2nd pair in 4 seasons, mainly because I got them for $57. I also
have a normal height pair of them, I would turn them down 5-6” to shorten them.
It looks like pricing has went up in recent years. They are about double that price now.

Back