Pay to Play Kansas Quail any Suggestions?

andyperry07

I know things are pretty bad for Kansas hunting, but I really want to try getting some quail this Dec/Early Jan. I have a couple weeks off as a school teacher and I really want to sneak down from SO Dak for maybe 3-4 days. Any suggestions on good pay to play (wild birds only) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks hope all is well in your area.

Pay to play. Seems to be much more of a SoDak thing, much less of a thing in KS.

I'm not saying you can't pay somebody... But most farmers where I'm from would be telling everybody at coffee the next morning about the city slicker that stopped by his farm yesterday.

Get yourself a walk-in atlas and look at the areas you are interested in hunting and come on down and hunt. I cringe when I hear someone wants to come to KS and "pay to play". I think almost all KS outdoorsman would rather our state not go to a "pay to play" type situation such as SD has in place.

There are plenty of shooting preserves which are "pay to play" that guarantee you birds if you want to go that route and I am sure that there are some farms with wild birds that are pay to play but I for one do not patronize those places.

However, if your wanting to pay to hunt I would stay in SD and pay to hunt up there instead of drive down here and not see any birds.

There is a place in the southern half of the state, called "sagebrush" something or other. Good luck if you go! Be sure to let us know how ya did.

I won't get into a pay to play debate....

Ha did not mean to ruffle any feathers. Sorry about the paying thing just trying to find some quail on a limited time schedule. I can take the post down if we can not trying to upset anyone never been to kansas just wanting to try quail for the first time.

And Jake no offense but I live about 120 miles from the nearest "city" and I grew up on a farm. So not sure I would consider myself a city slicker....

Get yourself a walk-in atlas and look at the areas you are interested in hunting and come on down and hunt. I cringe when I hear someone wants to come to KS and "pay to play". I think almost all KS outdoorsman would rather our state not go to a "pay to play" type situation such as SD has in place.

There are plenty of shooting preserves which are "pay to play" that guarantee you birds if you want to go that route and I am sure that there are some farms with wild birds that are pay to play but I for one do not patronize those places.

However, if your wanting to pay to hunt I would stay in SD and pay to hunt up there instead of drive down here and not see any birds.

I have also never payed to hunt as well. And if SD had quail I would hunt public and private land up here. I already have the KS atlas loaded up and would hunt mostly public. Maybe I will just hunt public cause I do understand the downside of paying to hunt as you are correct SD is bad with it. I am fortunate to have grown up here and still good friends with the farmers in my area I grew up in. I just want to try some KS quail again not trying to offend anyone still new to posting and the "rules". Sorry again everyone

There are some guides that do quail hunts, that should have some good access.
But you will like quail hunting, few things that are as much fun.

Thanks Steve! Just seeing the video of those little bombers getting up gets my heart pumping. Getting my first setter this spring to pair with my griff. How long have you been a setter man, this will be my first one.

No feathers ruffled here. May have sounded like it but none ruffled. I should have just said pick up the atlas and forget the pay to play because there are plenty of spots that are good if you do some scouting.

Steve is right, quail hunting is a lot of fun!!

I think it is a perfectly fair question. I don't know much about that end of the guiding spectrum and my only contact would be Jim Gourley in Lincoln area. I think setterdogs.com is his website. You have to start somewhere, and being from elsewhere, you have to ask questions as they come to mind. Good luck.

Good but tough question. The pay hunts in Kansas are primarily on what are called controlled shooting areas (state law terminology) which are required to replace every bird shot with another bird. These replacement birds are all pen raised so pay to play hunts in Kansas are of mostly pen raised birds. Another tough factor for you is that quail populations are generally down due to drought. Now if you find a place you think looks good for quail, there's nothing wrong with offering money to induce getting permission to hunt.

quail

if you come to hunt, not ride around or spend your time in the caf? lamenting that the quail are not running up and down the road, with effort, you will get into some quail as long as you have a dog that will hunt. if it were me, you have the atlas, look on it for areas that indicate quail, next, during mid to late sept. there will be reports out that indicate for quail both the calling and roadside sightings for all the routes, areas, pick the areas that have the best results and the area that seems to have the most plaaces to hunt that typically hold quail. get out and hunt, you will see some birds, maybe a lot of birds, no need to pay, just get off you butt, do your homework, you will be rewarded. time of the year doesn't have much affect, come when ya can

cheers

There still exists in this world some really fine wild quail hunting, but it is private and it is costly.

Under the right conditions quail can really produce and there are some elements happening right now that could lead to some good public hunting in the near future for those of us that cannot afford the guided hunt on private land. If I could only walk, a five to ten covey day would be really nice. Right now I am happy just to see some broods and hoping to see huntable numbers in a year or two.

Awesome pictures setter nut, Thanks for the advice Mr Byrd getting off my butt for hunting has never been a problem spent all last fall exploring Wyoming, looking for chukar spots is about as tough as it gets to compared to flatland walking.

Andy I wasn't saying your a city slicker. I am just saying that's what the farmers would say about you.

I am also not saying that pay to play is bad at all. I am simply saying it's not normal down here and many would think its strange if somebody asked them about it.

I sure understand where you are coming from though. Driving 10 hours spending money on gas, food, lodging and then wandering aimlessly through fields not finding birds is tough. I have done plenty of that, and I live here:(

I have to ask though, if your planning on payin to hunt why not stay in SD where numbers are superior? Unless you want to hunt quail I suppose.

I suspect there are people that would pay some serious money for a wild quail hunt that would put fifteen or so coveys in the air in a day.

Back