Opening Weekend!

Oggie

With the bird number this year I have been contemplating on where I want to start out. The past 5 years I have started out in pratt. But with it being so dry and my private land there not looking so good I think im gonna take my chances and start out around the marysville area and work my way over to Russell! Good luck to all.

Best of Luck to All

Good luck with that hunting plan, sir. I will be returning to my Happy Hunting Grounds in NW.

Not the best of plans, but will not get to head out until Saturday morning from kck due to work :(. Both spots have been good to me in the past and both are on private grounds. Will see what happens!

PM me if your plan works out :)

I'm hoping that quail numbers will be decent on the eastern portion of the state. The KC weather forecast maps have shown less drought up north, which could indicate better pheasant populations.

Anyone think it's worth making a trip from KC to Hays this year? That's at least $100 in gas money... I'd rather not come back empty handed.

I generally don't get out much the first weekend. There are just more people out hunting than I like to be around. I will get out a little during the week, but I really get going around the 3rd weekend. The rush is over, and you don't get much warm weather.

I generally don't get out much the first weekend. There are just more people out hunting than I like to be around. I will get out a little during the week, but I really get going around the 3rd weekend. The rush is over, and you don't get much warm weather.[/QUOTE

I just wouldn't know how to set the dogs down and try to explain to them that they have to wait any longer. :)

I generally don't get out much the first weekend. There are just more people out hunting than I like to be around. I will get out a little during the week, but I really get going around the 3rd weekend. The rush is over, and you don't get much warm weather.[/QUOTE

I just wouldn't know how to set the dogs down and try to explain to them that they have to wait any longer. :)

I go for some short hunts within an hour or so of home. But I don't make a trip out west until the crowds thin out. You also can run into crops still in the field early in the season, but I bet that isn't a problem this season.

I am heading to southern Anderson and Northern Allen counties to chase bobwhites in SE Kansas. Ill try to releave some of the pressure that will be out west! I did the same thing last year and 2 of us got our limits of bobs while only running into 2 other groups of hunters that consisted of a group of 1 and a group of 3! If you want great dog work and low hunting pressure head SE on opening weekend if you have some ground to hunt.

I am heading to southern Anderson and Northern Allen counties to chase bobwhites in SE Kansas. Ill try to releave some of the pressure that will be out west! I did the same thing last year and 2 of us got our limits of bobs while only running into 2 other groups of hunters that consisted of a group of 1 and a group of 3! If you want great dog work and low hunting pressure head SE on opening weekend if you have some ground to hunt.

That's great quail hunting!

This is what I'd prefer to be doing. However, the spot I've gained access to in SE KS, isn't accessible to me until after deer season. Don't shoot 'em all KScowboy;)

Looks like I will be spending opening weekend in Russell county and head NW to Graham county for the rest of the week or at least until Thursday. Good times!

I think my idea is similar to yours.

parts of Russell county had hail this summer......as info.

Good to know.... Not really expecting a stellar year but got invited there last year and again this year. It's a family outing weekend with someone elses family on the family farm there. Had a super time there last year and for a bonus we get to do some target practice on some prairie dogs in one of their cattle pastures.

Good to know.... Not really expecting a stellar year but got invited there last year and again this year. It's a family outing weekend with someone elses family on the family farm there. Had a super time there last year and for a bonus we get to do some target practice on some prairie dogs in one of their cattle pastures.

sounds like fun, some of the hail came out of the NW and passed over Wilson Res., spotty i am sure.

I will be headed to Smith County again this year. The bird numbers seem to be declining over the last 10 or so years that we have been going out, but it has pretty much turned into a family reunion with dads, brothers, cousins and uncles coming from over 5 states to hunt together, so it really isn't all about the birds at that point. It is the equivalent of what used to be "deer camp" when I was a kid.

Rut

Back