Opener

Did I miss something?? In gander tonight buying duck shells, and the guy next to me says he's looking for steel for pheasant tomorrow. I said you don't need to shoot steel... He insisted his buddies told him steel only.

Can you only shoot steel now? I swear I would have known about this.
As far as I know wpa's are the only time you need to use steel for pheasants.

It's mind blowing some of the things I hear guys say.

Yea the only time I have heard of you haveing to use steel is in a waterfowl production area and there has to be signs posted that says steel shot only

Remtech

Do you have a plan in place for your Setter or just more experience?

No formal plan. Just mainly experience. We hunted grouse this fall and he improved on the running birds and slowing down and hunting smarter. He's slowly figuring out how to relocate on a running bird.

Hunted Scuppernong today for the opener. We got our rooster but what a zoo that place was! I took a ride after I finished up and I counted 41 trucks and cars parked along hwy n north of 59. If you were out, check your dogs well for ticks. I've pulled three deer ticks off so far. Pups hunted well but we took frequent water breaks. They go through a lot of water in the field.

Hunted the same as 519vx and did not start until about 1:20 and it was still a zoo. The young pup has yet to point a rooster but I was lucky to get one that flew over my head and took it because I only had 2 hours to hunt and had to get back to work. The pup made his first rooster retrieve and did an awesome job with it.

I got a late start and I think the field I hunted must have been pushed several times prior to my arrival. It should have had birds and I covered it from every angle.
Just under 10 miles for me, 25 for one mutt and 17 for the other.
1 pheasant flushed way out there.

The wood ducks in the am saved the day but overall the walk with a gun behind the boys felt good.:thumbsup:

Typical opener for us, 2 adults and 2 kids=4 roosters
My veteran lab flushed the first 5 roosters with my son shooting his within the first 2 min and my nephew missing a few of them.
My new pup got better as the day went, learning to trail moving birds to the end.
He put up 3 roosters and 1 hen.
After asking a few questions on this forum last year about my brother in laws GSP I told him what I was told to let her range a little more, she had a great day pointing 2 roosters and relocating on one over a 200+ yard trail/point/relocate before pinning the bird on a solid point, boot flush, shot and retreive

can't wait for all the morons to give up after tomorrow because their wife's Heinz 57 couldn't find a water puddle if they were standing in it, but they sure can run across the field after birds we put up and can't shoot at because they seem to find the need to cross in front of us ever time we moved birds....

If you can't tell I have a love/hate with the opener!

Going to hit a different field at first light, good luck to all (except the a$$ holes cutting off 14 year old kids...you know who you are!)

Here's one from Walmart gun counter today at 10:00am

Guys buying a new 870, asks the lady at behind the counter what the little t-wrench looking thing is for? She calls a guy to help and he tells the customer it's a choke tube wrench and he explains how the chokes work.
The customer asks if he can shoot without a choke, NO! How far are the shots your planning on taking? Reply 6ft.... Then IC is your best choice....
The customer then stands there blank and says, so do you have to put a new choke in every time you fire the rifle? And how do you find them?

This guy was getting ready to go pheasant with some friends.....

The Walmart story is funny. Today went well the first field no birds then I went to Theresa and that was packed on my way in a guy walking out is holding s rooster and stops me and asked me the best way to clean and store. I told him what I do then he says you really take the guts out . lol after walking around g or a while left crazy land for private land. The dog had 12 flushes today my father's struggled today lol

Back