Opener

shorthairs4life

It's been pretty dead on here, especially with the opener in just a few days.
Let's get some chatter going about the upcoming season and waking up the Wisconsin forum.

Where's everyone going and are you hunting alone, with friends, family etc.?

My pup will be 5months and 10 days old on the opener. I plan to let the crowd rush out at noon and try to get out in the field around 3PM and hunt after many have left with their bird. I will be hunting alone and trying to get the dog into some birds and get him as much experience as possible.
If anyone is open to picking up a hunting partner on Sunday, I would be game to going out with someone. It might be nice for the pup to hunt with a more experienced dog to learn the ropes.

Good luck everyone!

Sister planned a nieces b day party 11 on Saturday so I suppose I'll be late.

Sunday I'll be out early and of course you can throw in with us.

I'll be out opening day till I get my bird then I will be out again Tuesday or Wednesday. I wonder how crowded opening day will be this year last year it was nuts I hope the weather thind the heard a little.

Remtech

Chasing ducks Sat. Morning then have to pick the wife up at the airport at noon. I'll be out Sunday to hopefully get my bird and get the dog some good work. Actually thankful I'm busy. At noon on Sat, if the duck opener was any indication I need to stay as far away from openers as possible.

Shorthair, I'd say you're welcome to jump in with me a bit later in the season. My dog needs to work through some things the first time or two out. Wouldn't want you and your pup dealing with my wild child transitioning from training birds to wild ones.

I'll be out opening day till I get my bird then I will be out again Tuesday or Wednesday. I wonder how crowded opening day will be this year last year it was nuts I hope the weather thind the heard a little.

Remtech

If you go out Wednesday let me know. I can hunt first thing for just a little bit, need to be home by 9:30AM. I can also get out in the afternoon from 1 to 4:30PM. If the afternoon works, let me know.

Chasing ducks Sat. Morning then have to pick the wife up at the airport at noon. I'll be out Sunday to hopefully get my bird and get the dog some good work. Actually thankful I'm busy. At noon on Sat, if the duck opener was any indication I need to stay as far away from openers as possible.

Shorthair, I'd say you're welcome to jump in with me a bit later in the season. My dog needs to work through some things the first time or two out. Wouldn't want you and your pup dealing with my wild child transitioning from training birds to wild ones.

Sounds like a plan Deuce. Good luck with your wild child. Mine has been clingy but slowly expanding his range.

My REAL season starts on next Monday. Opening week-end on public land scares me--less for myself than for my dog. The times I have gone I've either seen ignorance or recklessness on the part of other hunters and hunting groups.

I have exclusive pheasant hunting rights to some properties nearby. With the dearth of wild birds, I have not harvested any from these sites for the past couple of years; I don't expect to this year either, although I've seen slightly larger numbers of roosters on them. I might take Mick out on them, just to work him a little. He really doesn't need it, but I need to keep my legs moving.

You put on a few years and it takes longer for your legs to get in shape, and less time for them to lose the muscle tone. Nobody told me about this stuff. :(
:)

Have fun, be safe, bring water for the dog and coffee for hunt's end. There's nothing quite as good as a cup of coffee, while sitting on a tailgate or bumper and looking out at the land you've just walked while your dog slurps his drink and plops down at your feet.

I am going to avoid the opening day crowds and head north to chase some ruffed grouse and woodcock. I am hoping that most of the leaves are down and we will have a great weekend.

Good luck to everyone that does go pheasant hunting this weekend.

Check out my attachment I am working on a new light weight vest for the dog. On opening day I will be hunting some private land. Wed I will hit the public lands.

Run: Leaves are coming down fast around here. Last weekend had good shooting in most places. This weekend it will be even better. It's prime time for grouse and woodcock. The timber doodles will be migrating soon. To date, I've not gotten into any flights, just individual local birds. Have been finding some grouse, even though numbers are supposed to be down.

I grew up in Burlington and due to a lot of relatives and friends on farms, had the privilege of hunting private lands almost exclusively. The two times I hunted public, like Bong, were not desirable. Too much competition and got showered with shot. I cringe at the thought of hunting there opening day.

Nov 1 I'll be hunting in Iowa on farms owned by my buddy's father in law. We've had good hunting there in the past and are likely to again.

I've been missing summer, but October quickly makes the summer memories disappear.

Planning on doing some duck hunting Saturday. Will try to get out at daybreak on Sunday to beat the crowds then again maybe Tuesday morning. My goal this year is to get my 2 year old english setter to handle running birds better.

Did I miss something?? In gander tonight buying duck shells, and the guy next to me says he's looking for steel for pheasant tomorrow. I said you don't need to shoot steel... He insisted his buddies told him steel only.

Can you only shoot steel now? I swear I would have known about this.

Back