Older SxS

EricB: Checked with our gunsmith about your issue and he said to rejoin the barrel and the rib and reblue it would be in the $250-$300 so their is still hope. Which is still a lot less than I paid for Iowa trip. (LOL)

Will you send me his contact info? I'm interested.

What would be a good velocity to stick around for an older gun? I've been looking at RST Shells and Baschieri and Pellagri shells. The B&P run at 1325fps and the RST run at 1125fps. Both are non high brass.

The velocity is a result of the pressure and the shot weight. I think for an older gun you want to keep the pressure low, but it isn't always easy to find the pressure rating on shells. Polywad is another company that makes shells for old guns. The action and barrels of any smokeless era shotgun are probably Ok with the standard 1 1/4 oz loads, but another thing you need to be concerned with is recoil fracture in the stock. Especially with higher quality light weight guns.

The brass length is a holdover from black powder days when companies used higher brass on shells with more powder in them to keep the black powder from burning through the paper hulls. Modern low brass hulls can be loaded to high pressure with smokeless powder so it isn't always a reliable indicator.

Jerry

Sxs

no vested interest, but a side by side business ,now in their 20th or so year. Hill Rod and Gun, have purchased several guns, he has MOSTLY English guns... he goes to England and sorts for several weeks a year bringing , good HUNTING guns.... he stands behind all he sells, he wants happy and returning customers. Usually has 40 or so guns in stock and pictured on his site.

no vested interest, but a side by side business ,now in their 20th or so year. Hill Rod and Gun, have purchased several guns, he has MOSTLY English guns... he goes to England and sorts for several weeks a year bringing , good HUNTING guns.... he stands behind all he sells, he wants happy and returning customers. Usually has 40 or so guns in stock and pictured on his site.

He's in Montana and so are you... Haha..:D

Don't do it. Buy a new fancysmanshy super dupper semi auto! BELIEVE me, once you go down the old double gun rabbit hole you won't be coming back.
We recently had this discussion at pheasant camp as we looked over our LC Smiths, Parkers, etc. Your about to embark on a sickness that can only be cured with the purchase of more SxS shotguns. I believe the addiction is probably worse than crack.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Buy a new fancysmanshy super dupper semi auto! BELIEVE me, once you go down the old double gun rabbit hole you won't be coming back.
We recently had this discussion at pheasant camp as we looked over our LC Smiths, Parkers, etc. Your about to embark on a sickness that can only be cured with the purchase of more SxS shotguns. I believe the addiction is probably worse than crack.

Hahaha. But I'm a better shot with a SxS than I am with a semi auto.. Oh well.. At least it's a good addiction. :10sign:

Hahaha. But I'm a better shot with a SxS than I am with a semi auto.. Oh well.. At least it's a good addiction. :10sign:

It's an expensive addiction! Haha. BTW. I can kill any upland bird with my 1923 LC Smith 20ga Trap Grade with 26" barrels and RST's. I shoot their 2 1/2" 7/8oz #5's at 1125fps for pheasants, and 7 1/2's for quail. RST makes very good shells at a very reasonable price.

It's an expensive addiction! Haha. BTW. I can kill any upland bird with my 1923 LC Smith 20ga Trap Grade with 26" barrels and RST's. I shoot their 2 1/2" 7/8oz #5's at 1125fps for pheasants, and 7 1/2's for quail. RST makes very good shells at a very reasonable price.

I'll admit, I had an L.C. Smith built in 1933. It was a Field Grade and I shot that thing very well. But I had the misconception of "This gun is older and I don't want to take it hunting." Been kicking myself in the arse since and I'll never get rid of another SxS.

Jetjockey I came across two good doubles about a year apart one is a 1927 LeFever in 12 gauge with 28 inch barrels mod/full and the other one is a 1937 L.C.Smith 16 gauge with 26 inch barrels imp cyl / mod with a hunter arms single trigger and the beaver tail forarm, made special for bird hunting. Very solid guns I paid $400 & $500 respectively for each. I am so glad I have the fever, and there is no cure. I have a Fox in the works now.

I'm jealous. I REALLY want an LC Smith in 16. As it stands, I have a Griffin and Howe Arrietta 12 bore with 29" barrels coming my way. I didn't need the gun but it belonged to a close friend who passed away in October. I'm
Buying it from his wife and can't wait to shoot it. Should be a great pheasant gun!! You would think that would cure my desire for an LC Smith 16 for pheasants.... .... NOPE!!!

My friend pickup up a Parker 16 double 1920, new in the box, never fired at an estate auction in NC from an elderly lady whose grandfather was a judge, he had bought it and suddenly passed away. He paid $1,000 and he has used it for every bird hunt that we have been on. The wood on that gem is unbelievable.

My friend pickup up a Parker 16 double 1920, new in the box, never fired at an estate auction in NC from an elderly lady whose grandfather was a judge, he had bought it and suddenly passed away. He paid $1,000 and he has used it for every bird hunt that we have been on. The wood on that gem is unbelievable.

I've found a gorgeous Anson Birmingham for $2,500. That thing is absolutely gorgeous! Has beautiful engraving and is a very good weight.

If you haven't found anything yet, have a look at Vintage Doubles.com. He has some very expensive guns and, some really great deals on affordable, unique guns. And, he's a pleasure to work with.

Back