Older SxS

Ryanmoeller77

I am in search of an older 12ga SxS with 30" barrels. I'd like the barrels to be steel and not Damascus. I've searched Gunbroker and a few other sites. Is there anywhere in particular you guys would recommend to find a good gun for under $2,000? I like L.C. Smith, Parker Brothers, etc.. Ideally I'd like to find an English made shotgun, but I know trying to find one in good condition under $2K is stretching it. Any information is greatly appreciated! :D

try armslist.com, just be mindful if you do purchase an older gun like a fox that they may not be able to handled hi brass loads.

Yes low brass can be effective on upland birds. Also some guns pushing a 100 yrs old may not be able to chamber 2.75" shells, they would be 2.5" and those can be found.

Last edited:
There are several companies selling 2 1/2 inch shells so that isn't a show stopper. Most are low pressure rounds made for the older guns. I shot a pheasant this year with a recently acquired WC Scott hammer double made in the 1890's. I didn't carry it much because I was having trouble getting used to cocking the hammers but I will practice that for next year. It would probably be better used over a pointing dog.

For $2k you should be able to find a pretty nice Smith or Sterlingworth. Its hard to buy off the internet because you can't shoulder them and see how they fit.

You don't say where you are but if you are in Minnesota a trip to Duluth would be fun.

http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory?category=shotguns

Jerry

I know you said you wanted an English gun but there are some very nice Simson SXS's on GunBroker for under $2k. Simson is German made.

Are you sure you want 30" barrels for upland? 28" might be a better choice. But each to their own.

I know you said you wanted an English gun but there are some very nice Simson SXS's on GunBroker for under $2k. Simson is German made.

Are you sure you want 30" barrels for upland? 28" might be a better choice. But each to their own.

I'm pretty open on the length of the barrels. I'm new to upland bird hunting. I've hunted plenty of Dove, but I'm really excited about Pheasant and Quail.

There are several companies selling 2 1/2 inch shells so that isn't a show stopper. Most are low pressure rounds made for the older guns. I shot a pheasant this year with a recently acquired WC Scott hammer double made in the 1890's. I didn't carry it much because I was having trouble getting used to cocking the hammers but I will practice that for next year. It would probably be better used over a pointing dog.

For $2k you should be able to find a pretty nice Smith or Sterlingworth. Its hard to buy off the internet because you can't shoulder them and see how they fit.

You don't say where you are but if you are in Minnesota a trip to Duluth would be fun.

http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory?category=shotguns

Jerry

I'm quite a ways from ya. I live in Moore, Oklahoma. I'm hoping to do a bunch of bird hunting up north next year.

I'm pretty open on the length of the barrels. I'm new to upland bird hunting. I've hunted plenty of Dove, but I'm really excited about Pheasant and Quail.

For Pheasant and especially Quail, you don't want a real long barrel. You want something that will swing a little quicker. 26" to 28" if generally preferred in a double barrel gun.

Yes for the price you are looking to spend I would look at all sxs's that fit your budget. As mentioned a drawback for online buying is not being able to shoulder the gun for fit, look for sellers that would give a few days to try the gun and return if not a good fit. As Dakotazeb mentioned look for barrels that are shorter 26 or 28 and open to moderate chokes. If you look at 30" barrels you will probably either be full full choked or mod full. I have a 30" belgium browning O/U that is choked mod and full. I used it when I shot competitive trap and when birds are not holding tight. Alot of great used guns out there you will find the right one Im sure.

Yes for the price you are looking to spend I would look at all sxs's that fit your budget. As mentioned a drawback for online buying is not being able to shoulder the gun for fit, look for sellers that would give a few days to try the gun and return if not a good fit. As Dakotazeb mentioned look for barrels that are shorter 26 or 28 and open to moderate chokes. If you look at 30" barrels you will probably either be full full choked or mod full. I have a 30" belgium browning O/U that is choked mod and full. I used it when I shot competitive trap and when birds are not holding tight. Alot of great used guns out there you will find the right one Im sure.

I hope so! I'm not a fan of a lot of modern guns. In my opinion, a lot feel cheap. Old guns are wood and steel and they are still going strong. A testament to the time put into making these magnificent guns. :10sign:

If you buy online, take advantage of the typical three day inspection window. Just recently bought an antique, felt like I'd looked it over thoroughly and later on found that the ribs had been knocked loose from one barrel. I'm pretty disappointed that I won't be hunting with it and that I can't shoot it but it's my own fault. Just be careful. There are a lot of things to watch out for when you buy old doubles, but there's nothing as nice to take afield. IMHO.

If you buy online, take advantage of the typical three day inspection window. Just recently bought an antique, felt like I'd looked it over thoroughly and later on found that the ribs had been knocked loose from one barrel. I'm pretty disappointed that I won't be hunting with it and that I can't shoot it but it's my own fault. Just be careful. There are a lot of things to watch out for when you buy old doubles, but there's nothing as nice to take afield. IMHO.

So you didn't get to send it back?

So you didn't get to send it back?

Once the three day inspection period is up, you're stuck. It was tough to see and I doubt the seller knew about it. I got the gun cheap enough, and I may decide to have it repaired. If I'd paid too much I'd be upset but I got the gun for a low price. I can't complain. Just letting you know to be careful. Old doubles can have issues.

Once the three day inspection period is up, you're stuck. It was tough to see and I doubt the seller knew about it. I got the gun cheap enough, and I may decide to have it repaired. If I'd paid too much I'd be upset but I got the gun for a low price. I can't complain. Just letting you know to be careful. Old doubles can have issues.

I had an L.C. Smith that was made in 1930. But I was stupid and traded it off. I shot that gun very well, but at the time I had the misconception of "It's an old gun and I don't want to take it hunting" Been kicking my own arse ever since.. :(

EricB: Checked with our gunsmith about your issue and he said to rejoin the barrel and the rib and reblue it would be in the $250-$300 so their is still hope. Which is still a lot less than I paid for Iowa trip. (LOL)

Back