New Law

My relatives grew up in Miller, SD, embracing an outdoor lifestyle throughout their childhood, taking full advantage of the abundance of pheasants in their locale. Under the guidance of my uncle, they were instilled with a deep appreciation for natural resources and a commitment to responsible stewardship.

Interestingly, despite their shared passion for hunting, I have never ventured from ND to join them in the pursuit.
Currently, a number of my cousins have become residents of Minnesota. It feels awkward to entertain the notion that they might face restrictions on returning to hunt with family at their convenience. Imposing limits on the number of days or the bag limit for residents could pose a concern. It troubles me to contemplate the idea that some may advocate for reduced privileges for them, given their familial ties and historical connection to the area.

States have a right to establish rules on non-residents. Is the 5-day license that SD has set up dumb? Sure. But, it does a fair job of allowing non-residents to hunt without overstepping on the guys who live here, pay taxes here year round, raise families here, and don't want to see a ton of Gucciburbans at their favorite WPA.

My 14 year old Suburban w 205,000 miles disqualifies us as friends. I assumed that all along but thanks for confirming.
Mine’s only 10 years old. That was the last year that you could get 2 400 crates side by side in the back. The newer models have to have the floor raised so they can fit.

Mine’s only 10 years old. That was the last year that you could get 2 400 crates side by side in the back. The newer models have to have the floor raised so they can fit.
I built a platform in back so mine sit up about 8" to clear the sides. I can put 2 sliding bins under the platform as well. Primitive but effective

States have a right to establish rules on non-residents. Is the 5-day license that SD has set up dumb? Sure. But, it does a fair job of allowing non-residents to hunt without overstepping on the guys who live here, pay taxes here year round, raise families here, and don't want to see a ton of Gucciburbans at their favorite WPA.
Yes totally agree. For one thing there is the possession limit with SD you can get it in 5 days. MT is 9 for pheasants, so someone who stays there for a month eats that many? There is no reason to annoy the locals, give them first shot at the birds. ND has no nonresidents for the first week on plots, that cuts down pressure for the locals. As far as cost, a nonresident license is a small part of their hunting expense. Most states charge nonresidents more, it’s only fair. You should see what AK charges nonresidents to hunt and fish and still they come.

But, it does a fair job of allowing non-residents to hunt without overstepping on the guys who live here, pay taxes here year round, raise families here, and don't want to see a ton of Gucciburbans at their favorite WPA.
One could argue a non resident has the same rights as a resident of a given state to hunt WPAs considering it's federal land and federal dollars paying for it and not state. Your SD state tax/license dollars didn't account for a dime of a given WPA yet are given first crack at them for the season.

Yeah,Montana is getting overrun with these limp noodles...

One could argue a non resident has the same rights as a resident of a given state to hunt WPAs considering it's federal land and federal dollars paying for it and not state. Your SD state tax/license dollars didn't account for a dime of a given WPA yet are given first crack at them for the season.
The land is federal, so you can walk in it whether you are resident or non resident. Wildlife itself belongs to the state. Hence paying them to hunt their animals.

The land is federal, so you can walk in it whether you are resident or non resident. Wildlife itself belongs to the state. Hence paying them to hunt their animals.
I'm just being a little pedantic. I've just never enjoyed when people try and gatekeep public land. Like someone from their home state has more claim to hunt public than someone out of state.

And also maybe because MN does it "fairly" that everything opens at the same time for everyone that I see rules like SDs as pointless.

Are there plenty of birds? Would you rather have too many ringnecks oust the hens out of the winter cover, or let nr hunt/harvest them? If there are plenty of birds, why restrict the length of the season or the bag limit. Goose- if you think it is crowded in your state, you ought to try a public hunting area in the East on opening day or Thanksgiving. PA, OH, & MI have people lined up nearly shoulder to shoulder at these times in certain areas. To shoot RELEASED BIRDS! I am sure other eastern states have this overcrowding problem too.

My experience in sd this year must have been an anomaly compared to what others have seen. We hunted 51/2 days the first week of November on the east/central side of the state and not once during our trip did we have to skip a spot due to other hunters. Now I’m sure being a newbie to the state there are great places we didn’t mark and explore. There were some private tracts that had the death march line strung to the horizon, but the public was wide open. Hope I dont eat these words when I return this November!

Goose just walk up to them with your Italian 28 gauge and they'll probably ask you to hunt with them. If the weather is nice that afternoon, you can take them for a ride in your ski boat. They might even tow it to the lake for you with the new suburban.
Once in a while I sometimes feel Goose has a valid point and I believed I could have a polite conversation over a cup of coffee. But when he said he has a ski boat I choked. Now I need to see a therapist to get that picture out of my head.

Once in a while I sometimes feel Goose has a valid point and I believed I could have a polite conversation over a cup of coffee. But when he said he has a ski boat I choked. Now I need to see a therapist to get that picture out of my head.
He has a ski boat but fishing is for low class people he says 😂 Goose is truly an enigma

And also maybe because MN does it "fairly" that everything opens at the same time for everyone that I see rules like SDs as pointless.
I agree. The 10 day hunting limit that SD has per non-resident license sucks because 1) you should be able to hunt as much as you want to if you buy a license, and 2) bundling it into one 10 day period or two 5-day periods in a row is bush league. I much prefer to spread my hunting season out to one or two days/week during the season rather than put all my eggs into one or two baskets. Currently, only residents can do that.

This is one of the advantages of hunting a state like Iowa instead. No limit on the number of days you can hunt with the purchase of a non-resident license. Granted, the birds and public land aren't as numerous though.

Goose just walk up to them with your Italian 28 gauge and they'll probably ask you to hunt with them. If the weather is nice that afternoon, you can take them for a ride in your ski boat. They might even tow it to the lake for you with the new suburban.
Lol..I guess that 28 guage puts me in the limp noodle group.Now all I need is a dog trailer and 6 pointers covered in orange.

My experience in sd this year must have been an anomaly compared to what others have seen. We hunted 51/2 days the first week of November on the east/central side of the state and not once during our trip did we have to skip a spot due to other hunters. Now I’m sure being a newbie to the state there are great places we didn’t mark and explore. There were some private tracts that had the death march line strung to the horizon, but the public was wide open. Hope I dont eat these words when I return this November!
The death march.good call.Those birds have no chance with 20 bush leaguers blazing away. No thanks.

Back