New Browning A5 in 16 ga.

Anyone on this site gotten their new Sweet yet? I see on the 16 ga. forum that a few have been shipped and guys are getting them. My dealer hasn't called me yet but I might have to pass on a new gun right now. I spent over $4,000 on Elle before having to put her down last month and now I'm looking at the cost of a new dog. If I was to get a new Sweet I'd have to thin out the gun cabinet. I've got a .222 and a .338 Mag I don't shoot any more so they could probably go. And if the new Sweet is as good as my '60 Belgium I might have to send that one down the road too. However, right now my concentration is on a new dog, not a gun. Merry Christmas everyone.

I got one today and it's cool but not that cool. Personally, I would have expected the finishes and machining to be, I don't know... cleaner? Feels like just another autoloader to me.

Don't get me wrong, it points well, feels good in the hands, and I'm sure it's going to drop roosters just fine but nothing really stood out to me as "Sweet".

Reminds me of Caddyshack II...doesn't really compare to the original. :cool:

I got one today and it's cool but not that cool. Personally, I would have expected the finishes and machining to be, I don't know... cleaner? Feels like just another autoloader to me.

Don't get me wrong, it points well, feels good in the hands, and I'm sure it's going to drop roosters just fine but nothing really stood out to me as "Sweet".

Reminds me of Caddyshack II...doesn't really compare to the original. :cool:

Does the new sixteen have a mag cutoff?

Does the new sixteen have a mag cutoff?

No I think that was brought up earlier on this thread. Think it functions much like the Benelli's. I'm sure it's the same as the 12 ga. A5 so someone with a 12 ga. please clarify this. Is it like the Benelli where you can remove the shell from the chamber without bringing up another shell from the magazine? I liked that feature when I had a Benelli.

As an over/under guy Jon showed me the ins and outs of my cutoff on my Browning Maxxus auto. It is similar to the old A5 cut off, Jon it's a very handy easy to use device. I had a Franchi that has the Benelli style but I think I like the old school Browning one better. Jon you buying one of theses new pheasant guns? Too many guns too little time.

Only complaint I have on the mag cut-off on my '60 Sweet Sixteen is that it is difficult to operate with gloves on. What I do like is that when the mag cut-off is engaged you can pull the bolt back and chamber remains open. That can't happen on a Benelli. Then when you are ready to hit the field just disengage the mag cut-off and it automatically feeds a shell into the chamber.

Pat, I could be tempted, but would probably opt for a new 20 vs the 16. Would not look forward to modifying the gun: cutting off the rear stock, adding a grip behind the trigger and another grip on the forend. I will admit, feeding my old (1941) A5 is a bit of a pain, but I like the mag. cutoff.

Right hand and shoulder don't work so well anymore ; shoving a shell into the old A5 is a bit of a chore. New A5 would be great!

Well, IMO the Benelli has the worst thumb killer of a loading gate/tube. In fact in Argentina they are known for Benelli thumb by dove shooters. Many will go through the paper work and red tape if they call a head and find they rent Benelli's, and bring their own gun.

Well, IMO the Benelli has the worst thumb killer of a loading gate/tube. In fact in Argentina they are known for Benelli thumb by dove shooters. Many will go through the paper work and red tape if they call a head and find they rent Benelli's, and bring their own gun.

Geez, I had a Benelli Montefeltro for 10 years and never had a problem loading it.

Got the call from my dealer in South Dakota today and they got two of the new Sweets in with 26" barrels which is what I wanted. I'm in Arizona for the winter and a little cash short after the $4k I put into my dog before losing the battle. Now I also have the expense of a new pup. So I told the dealer I'd pass at this time. Might have to take a look when I get back in the spring. Maybe I'll have to sell a couple guns for some extra cash.

ive been looking for the right 16ga, double and just haven't found it yet. Shot a browning o/u years ago but was a college student and any spare cash went to beer....... boy I was stupid back then.:cheers:

ive been looking for the right 16ga, double and just haven't found it yet. Shot a browning o/u years ago but was a college student and any spare cash went to beer....... boy I was stupid back then.:cheers:

When we get together for a hunt next year I'll let you try my 16 ga. Browning Citori White Lightning. :)

When we get together for a hunt next year I'll let you try my 16 ga. Browning Citori White Lightning. :)

I will hold you to that!

Back