Nd vs sd

think ill be staying close to home & saving $$$ this season no ND or SD for me to much pressure & to much doom & gloom

I will share a few thoughts that I hope you find helpful. BTW, my friend has a couple small munsterlanders....great dogs. I happen to run springers but if I ever add a pointing dog, it would be a SM. I have hunted in both ND and SD for many years. We probably hunt 80% on public and 20% private. On the private, it is just farmers I have met over the years that will usually let me hunt (depending upon time of year). If you put in your time and make trips, you certainly have an opportunity to meet locals.. I have never paid to hunt private although can appreciate that some landowners do charge. We just prefer to hunt mostly public. We have had every kind of trip you could imagine...poor trips, good trips, trips of a lifetime. It is sometimes difficult to predict. There is a it of a learning curve in learning areas and places to hunt. It has really been a number of years since we had a poor trip but I attribute the success more to time spent learning both states. For example, last year was a bad year for many hunters and #s were down, yet we had fantastic hunts. My point is that you can't ever count on a 100% sure thing hunting public grounds. We have found some good spots over the years, and some relatively obscure that don't seem to get much pressure. And some good section lines too. But every year can be different. Also, over the years we have learned the value and camaraderie of the trip itself. SD gets more pressure then ND although I think bird #s are higher and the harvest would bear that out. We have had great trips and success in both states. This year with the drought, we may find some of our normal hunting areas are different, or some of the farms we periodically have accessed may have cut their crp. We will find out when we get there but we will have a good time no matter what. Hope this helps. I am glad to talk to you further if you have more specific questions.

I think anyone that wants to give it a good try with a good attitude North Dakota is going to be decent to good hunting this Fall. Get out into areas that aren't so popular and work at it. The birds are there.

I think anyone that wants to give it a good try with a good attitude North Dakota is going to be decent to good hunting this Fall. Get out into areas that aren't so popular and work at it. The birds are there.

agree......goes for SD as well.........there is more than the Golden Triangle.

Back