Nd vs sd

ok guy how are ya??? hey ive been post n a few threads on the SD KS & now the ND forums to see what you guys would do if you were me & to get a idea of what your guys past experience have been while out hunting in ND around say the wk of holloween or around a few wks after the season opens???

ok well i have a new puppy that will be like 6 months old come that time of year & i also have a 60 yr old father that has medical issues heart probs & he breathes threw a treceoscopy due to a battle with throat cancer he is now all healed up & ready to go hunt again he just cant walk miles on end anymore & has to pick his walks more carefull now days but he still has the drive & can shoot his gun well lol my father & my puppy will come first as i want them 2 to get on plenty of birds for a change i mean MN wasnt very good last season at all

so i just wanted your opinions & past experience on how my first trip mite go? & if it is even worth the trip to ND this season??? i have talked to a few ND biologist & they kinda scared me away when they said that most of ND is PAY TO PLAY & that there is some PLOTS LAND out there in ND in the southern part of the state but it will get beat to S*** by the time i get out there to hunt??? plus its just so remote in ND & its just not SD & dosent have there bird numbers so???

IS DITCH HUNTING LEGAL IN ND ALSO I HAVE HERD ITS ONLY LEGAL TO HAVE 3 SHELLS IN UR GUN??? & THAT U HAVE TO USE STEELE I TOLD MU BUDDY THAT SOUNDED LIKE WATERFOWL RULES NOT PHEASANTS BUT I MAY BE WRONG SO PLEASE INFORM ME???

thanks guys & please let me know what to expect when & if i make it out to ND this season to hunt with my puppy & father i just want them to get into a good population of pheasants this season for once lol thanks guy & please let me in on your thoughts thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
go ahead hunt ND!

You can ditch hunt in ND if the land is not posted.
3 shells in a gun is the rule you will need a plug.
Lead ok if not on State land with water.Posted
Chexk out ND state web site : gf.nd.gov
I am from MN and been hunting ND for 8 years now.... love it!

P.S. you've been talking to the wrong people.....

Agree with everything Lazlo said. I have been hunting Nd for 20 years. There is plenty of Plots land and Non-posted land. Also the people there are great, and most will let you hunt if you ask-Hardest part is figuring out who owns the land and if they are home. I have found a lot of farmers are deer Hunters and that is why their land is posted. They are fine with me hunting Geese, Ducks and Pheasants. I hunt in the central/southern part of the state.

so i guess it would be a general rule of thumb then in ND that you need a plug & steel or non toxic shot for most if not all public land just to be safe for a new to ND hunter???

i think i may need a started hunt in SD ND kinda feels like the more hardcore hunters choice & i am that but for my 1st hunt i guess i need all the help i can get pheasant population wise lol especially with a green puppy

Regs

http://gf.nd.gov/regulations-hunting-fishing-etc/small-game-hunting-guide#nontoxic

19. Nontoxic Shot Regulations

The possession or use of shot other than federally approved nontoxic shot is prohibited while hunting ducks, geese, sandhill cranes, tundra swans, mergansers, snipe and coot statewide. For a list of approved nontoxic shot, visit http://www.fws.gov/hunting/whatres.html.

Nontoxic shot is required for all hunting on all U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service lands, including federal refuges and waterfowl production areas. This regulation applies to all hunters using shotguns, except while hunting turkeys and big game. These shot requirements are in addition to current statewide nontoxic shot requirements for migratory birds as listed above.

I agree with what DONC posted. But PLOTS land is private land that is rented by the state for hunting purposes. I beleive u can use lead shot for upland birds on PLOTS land (just as you would hunting unposted land). You can't use lead shot on PLOTS land for waterfowl, U can't use lead shot for waterfowl anywhere in the state, i assume everyone knows this. Also plots land isn't open to outstate hunters the first week of the pheasant season. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I simply use steel all the time, it is easier than switching in and out when you go be PLOTS and WMA's.

Note:

Because of the extremely dry summer and early fall, I am hearing that a good chunk of PLOTS lands as well as some private CRP tracts were allowed to be hayed this summer in NoDak, may be much of the same on Walk in areas in SD as well?

Unfortunately, you won't know this until you get there as the PLOTS guide will not tell you. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge can chime in on this.

Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Note:

Because of the extremely dry summer and early fall, I am hearing that a good chunk of PLOTS lands as well as some private CRP tracts were allowed to be hayed this summer in NoDak, may be much of the same on Walk in areas in SD as well?

Unfortunately, you won't know this until you get there as the PLOTS guide will not tell you. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge can chime in on this.

Just something to keep in mind.

I can tell for sure there are a lot of hayed PLOTS. We noticed this when we started dove/grouse. Public land is going to get hit hard.

Thanks. Kind of a double edge sword so to speak. With less cover the birds should be more concentrated, but with fewer good public areas, the competition for those areas will be much greater. A late season trip may be worth the wait...

think ill be staying close to home & saving $$$ this season no ND or SD for me to much pressure & to much doom & gloom

Don't be put off too much by what I stated earlier, I wouldn't call it doom and gloom just yet. Birds numbers are actually up from last year. With a bunch of PLOTs and CRP being hayed it will mean birds will be much more concentrated in the available good cover. But this also means you may have to put a few more miles on the vehicle between spots. Knowing this ahead of time, I think you can still have a decent trip albeit later in the season as you're likely to have a better chance getting on private land.

Not all doom and gloom... Waiting till next year is no guarantee either as CRP is dwindling each and every year.

Last edited:
Yep! lots of plots lands have been cut for hay! I only use steel shot #3 it seems to shoot and pattern the same as #5 lead federal ammo.

I suppose I should also post, while there is a lot of land being hayed, the pheasant numbers are definitely up from last year. Not as good as the have been, but there is more promise in eastern and central ND this year.

Back