My Pet Peeve During Yesterday's Hunt...

It sure does. I do it every season for pheasants in the fall and turkeys in the spring. I haven't run into another pheasant hunter in over a decade because of it. It pays off in the form of private, untouched land that produces a lot more roosters that receive almost no hunting pressure.

Most hunters probably don't realize they could do the same thing if they put some time and effort into it. Either that or they aren't willing to.
Well, maybe you have the knack. There is an art to getting permission. Being by yourself helps. In south Dakota, I guess all those guys charge people to hunt.I just can't afford that.Montana, will eventually be that way. When billy bob down the road, is charging 100 dollars per guy, and the guy next door is letting people on for free, he realizes he can make some good cash on pheasant hunters who are monied up. It's sad, but that is why public land gets hammered by hunters.

Ya I wouldn't be hunting if I had to pound public pressured land every time or pay hundreds of dollars to hunt private land.

I mostly hunt solo mission and during a pandemic even more so.

Read all, or most of the posts,....try Pennsylvania.... you'd all be thankful for what you have.. stocking of penned birds midweek, shot out by late Friday... locations and numbers posted on GC website with an interactive map...80% roosters... that a third of the time fly up into a tree ( where I leave them)... the only consolation is Jack the dog doesn't care, he's here to work.
Made it to SD early season, one gun, one dog...no scouting, few tips... hunted only public AND we got birds, we got tired, and it didn't require a stock truck.

Worry about tomorrow, not the day you won't see. And count your blessings.

Attachments

• IMG_20201106_144203904_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201106_144203904_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
Two weeks ago I was hunting a mile long section of CRP by myself with my dogs. I was about 50 yards off the road and about 1/2 mile through the field when a group of for guys drove by me and jumped out to hunt the rest of the field in front of me. I know they saw me because the driver waved. They were from out of state and evidently have no manners. A couple of years ago I would have confronted them but after my experience on opening day with a landowner running some guys from the same state off his property, it was easier (and safer) to go somewhere else.

Ya I wouldn't be hunting if I had to pound public pressured land every time or pay hundreds of dollars to hunt private land.

I mostly hunt solo mission and during a pandemic even more so.
Hunting alone is key.Knowing a local helps.I will give it 20 years before all private land will charge money for pheasant hunting.

Back