My Pet Peeve During Yesterday's Hunt...

Labs

Want to preface this and say that I'm not a fan of push & block hunting nor more than 4 guns in the few times I hunt with a group for anything. My concern is safety, as in my experience it defaults to the least experienced, least safety conscious, or least ethical member of the group. Nor am I a fan of getting involved hunting with people I don't know. Nothing personal, but when there's excitement, guns, and my dogs involved, I want to know, not guess, how everyone carrying a gun will react when a rooster flushes or geese are feet down 10 feet over the spread.

That being said, if big group and push & block hunting is your thing, more power to you...

My biggest upland hunting peeve is when one or a group of hunters actively interferes with another's hunt. The ones I detest most are those who see someone hunting a field, then hustle into the line of fire and post in hope that a rooster will flush and fly over. In my experience, these are often guys that will do anything legal or illegal, ethical or not, if it means they might get a shot at a bird.

So anyway, yesterday morning the Wrecking Crew and I are working a PLOTS south of New England. Good looking cover but birds were scarce, the Crew had only put up one rooster in a half mile and it had not presented a shot. We reached the north end and and began to hunt back to the south side. There is an east-west prairie trail along the south side, my plan was to hunt to the trail then swing east and hunt back to the truck.

When we were about 250 yards from the trail, a pick up and a soccer mom SUV came slowly down it from where my truck was parked. There is absolutely no question they could see me and the Crew as they stopped on the trail directly in my line of fire. Three guys w/o dogs got out, spoke together briefly, then spread out along the trail facing me.

By this time, we were about 150 yards away and I was about to swing east to create a safety buffer and deny them the use of the Crew to push any birds to them. It was at that moment that Harley flushed a rooster about 10 yards in front of me that stayed low and flew straight at the group, then took a hard left about 100 yards from them.

I couldn't safely shoot, and was damned mad this bunch of lazy iceholes had screwed up my one shot at a rooster in nearly a mile of walking cover. One of these idiots had the gall to point at the rooster and yell "rooster" while looking at me. I yelled a few things back and pointed at him too, but only used one finger.

They again had a group discussion as the Crew and I swung east. I kept an eye on them in case they decided to meet me at my truck for a discussion on ethics & communication, which I was more than ready to engage in. One stayed on the road, the other two began to walk down a fence line on adjacent posted land. They flushed a rooster about 100 yards down the fence which they missed, then the two hustled back to the road. My guess is they didn't have permission to go on that heavily posted land (that's the only kind of private land down here. You want on, be prepared to open the wallet and pay a per gun fee.)

The three then began to walk the PLOTS that the Crew and I had just hunted. Good luck with that, my labs are very thorough hunters. We then worked another nearby PLOTS and never heard a shot from these guys...

Last edited:
Sorry it ruined your day.

I figure they thought they were doing you a favor. As in, “let’s help that fella out and block for him, we all know those roosters like to run.“ Hard for them to discern your favorite hunting style and just went with their default, that behavior wouldn’t be uncommon around here. I guess I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.

Presumptuous of those folks. Some things I like about bird hunting are the solitude one feels and the connection to the dogs even when hunting with others if of longstanding friendship. Suddenly three strangers show up on your cloud. It just ain't the same.

Last edited:
I agree. I hate when people do that. I had a similar experience about 5 years ago in western MN. Me and my group of 3 were pushing towards a cattail slough down in a little low spot. Out of nowhere we hear this guy yelling at us about cutting him off. I walk up to the crest of the hill and there's about 5 guys walking our way. I have no idea where they came from as we were the only car parked at the spot when I showed up and never seen them pull in. They had to of seen my truck parked when they pulled up. I hate when people come into a piece of public when they don't know where I am or make themselves known when were out in the open. I never hunt a piece of public when another vehicle is there. Especially when I don't know where they might be.

Has anyone else noticed that complaints like this seem more frequent on this forum this season than in past seasons?

It seems there are more user conflicts with more people out on public lands.

BTW, I am not excusing the behavior of the guys that gigged your hunt.

Has anyone else noticed that complaints like this seem more frequent on this forum this season than in past seasons?

Just speaking for out here, there are lots more people hunting late season this year than normal. I would say it's because it's pretty much still October weather & doesn't require slogging through knee deep snow and below zero wind chill. If a guy is hunting on the weekend and hasn't hit a PLOTS by 0900 hrs, it's a good bet someone else (or more than one someone else) has been there already...

Last edited:
I think anyone who has hunted much public land has probably seen this before. Not sure how it could be prevented other than just trying to foster the ethic in the upland community. Kind of like what is going on here.

I know it's been going on a long time. I was seeing this back in the 80s in KS on public ground.

Want to preface this and say that I'm not a fan of push & block hunting nor more than 4 guns in the few times I hunt with a group for anything. My concern is safety, as in my experience it defaults to the least experienced, least safety conscious, or least ethical member of the group. Nor am I a fan of getting involved hunting with people I don't know. Nothing personal, but when there's excitement, guns, and my dogs involved, I want to know, not guess, how everyone carrying a gun will react when a rooster flushes or geese are feet down 10 feet over the spread.

That being said, if big group and push & block hunting is your thing, more power to you...

My biggest upland hunting peeve is when one or a group of hunters actively interferes with another's hunt. The ones I detest most are those who see someone hunting a field, then hustle into the line of fire and post in hope that a rooster will flush and fly over. In my experience, these are often guys that will do anything legal or illegal, ethical or not, if it means they might get a shot at a bird.

So anyway, yesterday morning the Wrecking Crew and I are working a PLOTS south of New England. Good looking cover but birds were scarce, the Crew had only put up one rooster in a half mile and it had not presented a shot. We reached the north end and and began to hunt back to the south side. There is an east-west prairie trail along the south side, my plan was to hunt to the trail then swing east and hunt back to the truck.

When we were about 250 yards from the trail, a pick up and a soccer mom SUV came slowly down it from where my truck was parked. There is absolutely no question they could see me and the Crew as they stopped on the trail directly in my line of fire. Three guys w/o dogs got out, spoke together briefly, then spread out along the trail facing me.

By this time, we were about 150 yards away and I was about to swing east to create a safety buffer and deny them the use of the Crew to push any birds to them. It was at that moment that Harley flushed a rooster about 10 yards in front of me that stayed low and flew straight at the group, then took a hard left about 100 yards from them.

I couldn't safely shoot, and was damned mad this bunch of lazy iceholes had screwed up my one shot at a rooster in nearly a mile of walking cover. One of these idiots had the gall to point at the rooster and yell "rooster" while looking at me. I yelled a few things back and pointed at him too, but only used one finger.

They again had a group discussion as the Crew and I swung east. I kept an eye on them in case they decided to meet me at my truck for a discussion on ethics & communication, which I was more than ready to engage in. One stayed on the road, the other two began to walk down a fence line on adjacent posted land. They flushed a rooster about 100 yards down the fence which they missed, then the two hustled back to the road. My guess is they didn't have permission to go on that heavily posted land (that's the only kind of private land down here. You want on, be prepared to open the wallet and pay a per gun fee.)

The three then began to walk the PLOTS that the Crew and I had just hunted. Good luck with that, my labs are very thorough hunters. We then worked another nearby PLOTS and never heard a shot from these guys...
That's crazy.Ive never had that happen up north.If one member of the crew gets on a bird, what do the other 2 do?

Lots of people out of work including me because of government reaction to covid.

That's crazy.Ive never had that happen up north.If one member of the crew gets on a bird, what do the other 2 do?
They all keep an eye on each other & on me, and kind of do a natural Thatch Weave (WW2 naval fighter plane defensive weaving) to my front & sides. Harley is the most rangy of the group so I often have to page him back in, Boogie tends to hunt a bit closer, and Jetta usually closest of the group.

Harley is the upland machine of the group, he finds & flushes the majority of the birds. Jetta has learned this and tends to hunt close to him to try to beat him to any falls, although she is a talented hunter in her own right. Jetta also tends to hunt closer to me and long ago has learned to watch the gun if she doesn't see the flush. Boogie is more independent & not quite as good as Harley but finds & flushes plenty of birds. She tends to her own hunting unless one or both of the others get birdy. If one gets birdy, all converge on the spot unless there is an immediate flush. With this bunch, very few birds go undiscovered and lost cripples are very rare...

Last edited:
Some things I like about bird hunting are the solitude one feels and the connection to the dogs even when hunting with others if of longstanding friendship.
This is why I mostly hunt solo mission. On occasion I will take a trusted friend or relative with. You won't catch me hunting in a group or on public land either for these very reasons stated by the OP.

Surprised to see that reference here. <Salute!> 🙂
Used to fly SEL (still have my license) and have been a WW2 era aviation buff since I was a kid back in the 60s...

Last edited:
This is why I mostly hunt solo mission. On occasion I will take a trusted friend or relative with. You won't catch me hunting in a group or on public land either for these very reasons stated by the OP.
The thing is, it takes time to find good, free, private land. Lots of driving, and looking.

They all keep an eye on each other & on me, and kind of do a natural Thatch Weave (WW2 naval fighter plane defensive weaving) to my front & sides. Harley is the most rangy of the group so I often have to page him back in, Boogie tends to hunt a bit closer, and Jetta usually closest of the group.

Harley is the upland machine of the group, he finds & flushes the majority of the birds. Jetta has learned this and tends to hunt close to him to try to beat him to any falls, although she is a talented hunter in her own right. Jetta also tends to hunt closer to me and long ago has learned to watch the gun if she doesn't see the flush. Boogie is more independent & not quite as good as Harley but finds & flushes plenty of birds. She tends to her own hunting unless one or both of the others get birdy. If one gets birdy, all converge on the spot unless there is an immediate flush. With this bunch, very few birds go undiscovered and lost cripples are very rare...
With 3 labs, I'll bet you see a lot of birds.Ive hunted with 3 dogs before, but my dads dogs were never very good.They only hunted one hunting trip per year.Having 3 dialled in Labs is a treat.

The thing is, it takes time to find good, free, private land. Lots of driving, and looking.
It sure does. I do it every season for pheasants in the fall and turkeys in the spring. I haven't run into another pheasant hunter in over a decade because of it. It pays off in the form of private, untouched land that produces a lot more roosters that receive almost no hunting pressure.

Most hunters probably don't realize they could do the same thing if they put some time and effort into it. Either that or they aren't willing to.

It sure does. I do it every season for pheasants in the fall and turkeys in the spring. I haven't run into another pheasant hunter in over a decade because of it. It pays off in the form of private, untouched land that produces a lot more roosters that receive almost no hunting pressure.

Most hunters probably don't realize they could do the same thing if they put some time and effort into it. Either that or they aren't willing to.
I guess for me I've always taken a sense of pride when I get birds off of public land.

Not knocking people who hunt private nor do I think I'm better than folks who hunt private only. I just personally feel a sense of accomplishment when I get birds off of public land. Especially as the season progresses and they get educated. Same goes for turkeys. It feels like I worked for it more than a private land bird. I've hunted both.l private and public. But I've hunted public 95% of my life.

But I also get a kick out of looking at maps and habitat when looking for new spots or going to a new area. The scouting piece. That I'd lose if I hunted private.

I can understand that. I deer hunt on both public and private land and I do get more satisfaction from filling my tag on public land, even though its a huge national forest with minimal hunting pressure.

At least I know I'm not going to run into some jackasses or knuckleheads on private land, like the OP described. Plus the other issue is that there is virtually no public hunting within a reasonable distance of my home. Its all at least 2 hours away, or more. I get a sense of accomplishment because I know I put in a lot time ahead of the season scouting, driving, and asking for permission.

Last edited:
Back