Moving to Regent,ND

all locals were like go south birds down around here... met 1 local who got a limit but of course was hunting private lands... them birds get educated fast on public lands out in popular areas of ND just like SD but theres way way more birds left after the season starts in SD just my observations on public land hunting...

Yeah, it seemed some of the locals I spoke with had a system for public land birds (on larger habitat areas). They would wait to watch the birds come into roost then form a circle around the birds until they were on top of them. Birds flushed, they'd shoot them as they flew outside of the circle.

They would either hit them that evening or wait until the next morning (before they moved out).

Nick

Pretty excited about this and hope it happens.

Moving to Regent is about the last thing anyone should be "excited" about. Yes, there are roosters everywhere....but you can only pursue them for about 80 days each year and as others have stated, hunting is viewed as a major source of revenue by the locals now. They are very reluctant to GIVE access away. The other 280 days (or so) you are stuck in the middle of NOWHERE. There's absolutely nothing to do. There are legitimate reasons why next to nobody lives there.

Many ND residents just shoot pheasants. They road hunt as they scout for waterfowl feeds or simply to get birds early and late in the day.

I grew up in ND and pheasant hunt there most every year. There are some real tricks to consistently getting birds on public land (akin to what was mentioned above). Typically once you have developed a "spot" it will be consistent producer most years (some years more birds than others, but birds).

I agree with the assessment above, I now put MN above ND for public land pheasant hunting. I am consistently killing more birds with less effort in my current home state.

The best part about ND & SD is it draws a ton of MN hunters out west. ;)

Moving to Regent is about the last thing anyone should be "excited" about. Yes, there are roosters everywhere....but you can only pursue them for about 80 days each year and as others have stated, hunting is viewed as a major source of revenue by the locals now. They are very reluctant to GIVE access away. The other 280 days (or so) you are stuck in the middle of NOWHERE. There's absolutely nothing to do. There are legitimate reasons why next to nobody lives there.

Well some people must like it, or no one would live there. Count me as one that loves living in a Small town in ND, where there is nothing to do. Also it's different when you live there gaining access. I know when a guy in town asks us to hunt our farm we let him 80% of the time, when guys show up with out state license plates and ask for permission we say yes 0% of the time. And we are not the only ones.

Well some people must like it, or no one would live there. Count me as one that loves living in a Small town in ND, where there is nothing to do. Also it's different when you live there gaining access. I know when a guy in town asks us to hunt our farm we let him 80% of the time, when guys show up with out state license plates and ask for permission we say yes 0% of the time. And we are not the only ones.

You live in WI or ND ?

The opposite is often true with some landowners too. They know that giving permission to out of staters is typically a one time or once a year event ... locals often take the yes as a season pass / if not life long acceptance.

My relatives farm and ranch along some of the best deer land in ND. It was interesting to watch my uncle work through that quagmire with the locals. His usual perspective is locals can access the land after opening weekend and/or once our party filled our tags. Local "tresspassers" were common during the week and he typically did not confront them or call them in... he always said you have to live with these people the other 364 days of the year.

small munsterlander owner:

ND pheasant population along the lake across NC and C ND down to the Oaks & east area have been rather low in population.

Good pockets here and there - of course, but generally much lower population than years prior. ND had a couple of bad consecutive winters and tough springs ... The amount of CRP lost (whether you hunt it or not) has not helped one bit.

Last year probably was not quite the year to go out and try it in that area.

SW ND and the core area of SD simply hold more birds and even in down years - more birds will be present.

You live in WI or ND ?

The opposite is often true with some landowners too. They know that giving permission to out of staters is typically a one time or once a year event ... locals often take the yes as a season pass / if not life long acceptance.

My relatives farm and ranch along some of the best deer land in ND. It was interesting to watch my uncle work through that quagmire with the locals. His usual perspective is locals can access the land after opening weekend and/or once our party filled our tags. Local "tresspassers" were common during the week and he typically did not confront them or call them in... he always said you have to live with these people the other 364 days of the year.

I lived in ND for 34 years had to move to Wisconsin 6 years ago for a job. Should be able to move back in 5 years. I hope. (I never said I currently live in small town ND, Just wish I still did) :)

We find it opposite in our area in North Dakota. We give locals access if they ask because we have to see them in church every Sunday or at the grocery store. Etc. The out state hunters you tell them no and you never see them again.
We also don't believe in charging people of paying to hunt land. But have no problems with people that do, it's a resource.

As far as people trespassing without permission (we usually catch 2 per year) it's usually out of town hunters. Lot of time it's out state hunters thinking it's like SD where you can hunt the ditches without permission that happens a lot.

We don't have that issue that yor relatives have with saying yes means yes always.

It's interesting that your relatives feel that way. I guess different parts of states have different attitudes towards local hunters. For me if a guy I went to school with for 13 years asked me to hunt and I said no, I would feel bad. But if some guy from out state asked and I said no it doesn't bother me, for me it's harder to tell someone you know and see all the time no then a complete stranger.

I know when I ask other farmers in the area if I can hunt there land, I never have been turned down. But that might because my family have lived there since 1903.

I personally believe locals have an easier time accessing land for pheasants especially after the first two weeks then non residents..imo.

Now for deer that's another ball game. We don't hunt deer with a gun. Only bow. People get crazy about deer land in ND.

Last edited:
small munsterlander owner:

ND pheasant population along the lake across NC and C ND down to the Oaks & east area have been rather low in population.

Good pockets here and there - of course, but generally much lower population than years prior. ND had a couple of bad consecutive winters and tough springs ... The amount of CRP lost (whether you hunt it or not) has not helped one bit.

Last year probably was not quite the year to go out and try it in that area.

SW ND and the core area of SD simply hold more birds and even in down years - more birds will be present.

i do understand more birds means more birds in SW ND but i seen lots of hunters in a not so
good area of ND imagine if i went to the #1 region in the state known for its pay to play hunting more hunters that not why i went to ND to hunt i thought id see less hunters then SD not the case...

the ND game & fish pumps lake sakakawea as 2nd best hunting in the state i wish they were as honest as a few locals & brittman ...

i agree with brittman about 3-4 times locals at the bar or cafe even motel ownwer was like we dont hunt pheasants like u guys do with dogs or line up & walk not enuff birds we just either walk ditches surround birds early or late in day or just hit a bunch of areas they seen birds prior most times near food plots on public land they would walk a good looking area fast if no flushes move on & repeat i wondered why the birds on public were so scarece lol

ive never herd u dont need a hunting dog to kill pheasants as much as i have from no dak hunters??? i agree most just shoot pheasants big pushes to posters/blockers no need for a dog doing that most times...

for a complete starnger to move to middle of no place ND from a urban type city would probably be culture shock??? i like small town america thats why i go to these places but to visit to live i mite need a area a bit to the east of regent...

Last edited:

Deleted for open hostility.

(Sorry it took so long to find this post. It's 4/14/2016 and I'm just going through and seeing (so far) 2 out of 8 posts that are mean-spirited.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing your warm attitude toward 'outsiders'. You are obviously a stereotypical, close minded, small town ND resident and one of the reasons why it's the kind of place most people have no interest in living.

most people who live there are trying to get away from the people who have no interest in living there so its a 2 way street....

as far as hunting ND thats why i hunt public lands & dont knock on doors to ask for permission i wouldnt like out of staters either... thats what SD is for...

Outside of the oil patch and maybe Fargo, the vast majority of North Dakotans live there because that is where there ancestors ended up.

Most North Dakotans are rather proud of their community and state.

That said,

North Dakota is a heavy alcohol consuming state with a high level of binge drinking. Alcohol consumption even surpasses WI on a per capita basis. Most surveys put it in the top 3 or top 5.

North Dakota is also top 10 in obesity rankings.

North Dakota pumps out a high number of college educated graduates to other states. Many of the smart kids have to move out to follow the "better" jobs. I know a lot of ex-ND people in the Twin Cities. Alot.

Town by town in can be interesting. Some small towns work hard at having fairs and community events and work hard to keep small local industry thriving while other towns are ghost towns with near zero community spirit and next to no interest in small town sports.

If you get involved with the community and a local church - you may see the same people much of the time, but you can be far from lonely.

Thanks for sharing your warm attitude toward 'outsiders'. You are obviously a stereotypical, close minded, small town ND resident and one of the reasons why it's the kind of place most people have no interest in living.

I grew up in a small town in ND, population 1500 in the NE corner and have hunted in ND all my life. Now, thanks to my lovely wife, we moved from Fargo to Moorhead, so I've lost my resident hunting privileges. It's great to know that when I come back to hunt in my home state that there will be people that welcome me with open arms. Speaking of which...anyone know why ND doesn't offer a legacy license similar to what MN does?

...anyone know why ND doesn't offer a legacy license similar to what MN does?

Why live on the other side ?

NoDak legislature has had many bills over the past 15+ years on legacy licenses, discounts, extend days, special treatment, etc... think about all the retirees in AZ, FL etc... It never gets out of committee.

The area we hunt n ND has plenty of public land access thankfully. With that being said , we get a lot of private land access as well , more than most. As a matter of fact we are the only outsiders who get to hunt most of the private land we get access to. Now , my friend has been hunting there for 23 years and this will be my 8th year. We have worked really hard gaining trust , buying beers at the bar and doing exactly what we are told to and not to do by the land owners. One of the farmers we hunt on found out I could drive a tractor and I spent all day mowing hay for him on one of our trips , he needed help , I was happy to do it. We exchange christmas cards with a lot of families up there every year. I have found ND residents to be very hospitable unless provoked not to be (like us southerners).

Yes I agree that North Dakota small town living is not for everyone, Just as living in a big city isn't for everyone either. I think the reason you don't get access to farmers land is because you seem like an angry person to me. I looked at ALL your post and it seems like to me you are on this forum to pick fights. Well, I wish you all the luck with that.

We let our friends hunt our land, not strangers. Sorry if that offends anyone on this forum. I am just wondering how many people on here would let a complete stranger use their house or car if asked? But, I bet you would let a friend use either. I am not saying these are the exact same thing, but are similar.

We have quite a few friends that hunt our land, and between them and us there isn't much time for strangers to hunt.

The area we hunt n ND has plenty of public land access thankfully. With that being said , we get a lot of private land access as well , more than most. As a matter of fact we are the only outsiders who get to hunt most of the private land we get access to. Now , my friend has been hunting there for 23 years and this will be my 8th year. We have worked really hard gaining trust , buying beers at the bar and doing exactly what we are told to and not to do by the land owners. One of the farmers we hunt on found out I could drive a tractor and I spent all day mowing hay for him on one of our trips , he needed help , I was happy to do it. We exchange christmas cards with a lot of families up there every year. I have found ND residents to be very hospitable unless provoked not to be (like us southerners).

That is smart, we have guys from New York, Michigan, and Chicago Illinios, that we met through friends, or at Bar or at the DU banquet, that we hit it off with, that Now hunt our farm every year. They usually bring us food from from their state, which is always a great Thank You gift. Never had anyone drive tractor, that's a great touch!!!

That is smart, we have guys from New York, Michigan, and Chicago Illinios, that we met through friends, or at Bar or at the DU banquet, that we hit it off with, that Now hunt our farm every year. They usually bring us food from from their state, which is always a great Thank You gift. Never had anyone drive tractor, that's a great touch!!!

Yea , it wasn't planned that way. He had a guy call him and tell him he was about to burn off a bunch of CRP the next week and if he wanted the hay , come and get it. All his other help were in combines , he was complaining , I volunteered. He didn't hesitate. I felt weird mowing down good habitat , but was a good chance to help out.

Mott house

You can buy our house in Mott! Tons of birds between Mott & Regent. My group got too old to go anymore. It's 36 hours of drive time.

Back