Moving to Regent,ND

mstand

I may have an opportunity to relocate to the Regent area. What types of upland birds will be available in that region?
Is it mostly Pheasants?
How are the rattlers there?
Are there bowhunting for white tailed deer or mulies around there or is it all rifle?

Pretty excited about this and hope it happens. I have already looked up NAVHDA groups.

Thanks in advance

OK wait a minute! Regent has less than 200 people in it! You dont have to be specific but how does a person get relocated to a tiny town like that? It looks like its in the middle of nowhere as the saying goes..:)

Regent = Ground zero for pheasants

Mostly pay to play but I am sure if you lived there you wouldn't have a problem getting on some land.

OK wait a minute! Regent has less than 200 people in it! You dont have to be specific but how does a person get relocated to a tiny town like that? It looks like its in the middle of nowhere as the saying goes..:)

Yeah, I dont want to get into specifics yet. Have you ever had a good thing coming and then talked about it to much and it disappeared......That is why I dont want to go into specifics.
If this does happen it will happen spring/early summer of next year.

What about other species of birds?

Yes it mostly Pheasants, and by some, its considered the best pheasant hunting in the country (Hettinger county).

You will also find Sharptail and Huns there, just nothing compared to the amount pheasant you will see.

Most People Hunt deer in ND with Rifles, But you can find spots to Bow hunt. I know a lot of guys that do, its just a different hunting experience then Minnesota and Wisconsin. Nd doesn't have the wide expanse of trees that other states do. But guys do well Bow hunting in ND, mostly cause there isn't much competition.

Its 45 minutes from Dickinson and 1:30 from Bismarck-(I think).

hope this helps.

Jim

Just so you know,

it is really tuff to get a buck License (rifle) in ND. unless u own land, if you own land you are guaranteed a gradus buck license.

License are way down in ND last couple of years. So, getting a bow license is one way to be able to guarantee the opportunity to shoot a Buck every year.

Have you ever had a good thing coming and then talked about it to much and it disappeared

I group those instances in with Murphy's law. Yeah, keep your trap shut!:D

Nick

Thanks all for the input.

But seeing as I am allergic to venomous snakes.:p.............How bad is the snake population?

Availability of quality ground blinds has really helped the bow hunters.

Big bucks tend to hang on and around cattail sloughs (fewer of these in SWND), wooded draws, old abandoned farms, and farm shelter belts. It is traditionally at very low light (dusk and dawn) that traditional bow hunting methods work.

Spot and stalk works too.

Thanks all for the input.

But seeing as I am allergic to venomous snakes.:p.............How bad is the snake population?

There are snakes around the buttes. I wouldn't say they are too bad, but definitely something to be alert for. Especially in warmer weather. Never saw one while hunting in the fall, but I have seen them while hiking in the summer.

Jerry

Regent Hunting

I have been hunting in the Regent area every year since 2009. Moved to ND from the Winner, SD area. SD just priced us out of hunting there. Had some guys in our SD group that also hunted in the Regent area each year. moved in 2009 and haven't looked back. It is pay to play but much less than SD and way more birds........... Can't wait to get back there, heading there the end of Oct.

I have been hunting in the Regent area every year since 2009. Moved to ND from the Winner, SD area. SD just priced us out of hunting there. Had some guys in our SD group that also hunted in the Regent area each year. moved in 2009 and haven't looked back. It is pay to play but much less than SD and way more birds........... Can't wait to get back there, heading there the end of Oct.

I have heard the same. And this area of ND is better than any county in SD for bird numbers. just what I heard.

hope it works out.

I hunted 3 years in a row in Regent area....2009 2010 2011....was AWESOME then.....we lost our land connection there.....I moved my pheasant hunting to South Dakota...it's closer for me but boy do I MISS NoDak.

It is pay to play but much less than SD and way more birds........... Can't wait to get back there, heading there the end of Oct.

I hunted the Mott/Regent area for 16 years starting in 1992 and quit going after 2008. I can't speak for pay to play in SD, but the MOTT/Regent area is almost exclusively pay to play unless you have friends or relatives who farm in that region. It's not impossible to find someone to let you on for nuttin, but you'll be spending far more time knocking on doors than hunting if you go that route. A lot of the landowners that have not leased their property to outfitters may charge a trespass fee for the day, $100/day per person etc..

Last edited:
from my experience in ND vs SD or even MN you better have private lands to fall back on in ND i hunted ND last year very much a let down i shot the season average if like 6-7 roosters in 6.5 days of hard hunting... think out of 6 guys 4 dogs we shot 12 birds i shot 7* my self... nobody shot a limit... hunted oct. 24-30... never again will i hunt ND with crops up...

all the guys on here or most all pumping NO DAK either pay to play or have the run of killer private lands in ND we hunted 100% public lands & maybe we just are bad hunters or crops hide birds but we do as good in MN when we hunt 6-7 days on 100% public lands...

in SD my 1st year there 2013 last year they harvested under 1 million birds i limited daily with a young newbie hunting dog... i dont think i shot at 15 roosters in ND hunted around lake sakakawea to oaks north dakota all was tuff hunting... seen more hunters in ND then i see in SD was a real shocker...

we hunted wear we did to avoid the crowds & pay to play guess we shoulda hunted the most pppular area & took the chance?

from my experience in ND vs SD or even MN you better have private lands to fall back on in ND i hunted ND last year very much a let down i shot the season average if like 6-7 roosters in 6.5 days of hard hunting... think out of 6 guys 4 dogs we shot 12 birds i shot 7* my self... nobody shot a limit... hunted oct. 24-30... never again will i hunt ND with crops up...

all the guys on here or most all pumping NO DAK either pay to play or have the run of killer private lands in ND we hunted 100% public lands & maybe we just are bad hunters or crops hide birds but we do as good in MN when we hunt 6-7 days on 100% public lands...

in SD my 1st year there 2013 last year they harvested under 1 million birds i limited daily with a young newbie hunting dog... i dont think i shot at 15 roosters in ND hunted around lake sakakawea to oaks north dakota all was tuff hunting... seen more hunters in ND then i see in SD was a real shocker...

we hunted wear we did to avoid the crowds & pay to play guess we shoulda hunted the most pppular area & took the chance?

Yeah, ND is a vast state with some very large grassland/public areas. Knowing where they roost seemed to be a common theme with the guys hitting limits everyday. Other than that you may be doing a lot of walking for very little in return. Early morning or late evening can bring great results if you know how birds pattern within an area. Awesome state though. Would go back in a heart beat.

That said, their are parts of the state with very good bird numbers. Regent being one of them.:)

Nick

Last edited:
2 guys from ohio who stayed next to us & had 4 griffons trained also had hunted the area 12 years prior either of them guys got a limit in 6 days hunting... 2 dogs sprayed by skunk 1 got in fight with a racoon 1 was un harmed lol

they also hunted 100% public lands they said this is hard hunting but great to us guys from ohio with no wild birds etc. so???

all locals were like go south birds down around here... met 1 local who got a limit but of course was hunting private lands... them birds get educated fast on public lands out in popular areas of ND just like SD but theres way way more birds left after the season starts in SD just my observations on public land hunting...

a guy with no dog can walk ditches & get a limit in SD most every day think we seen 4 or 5 birds drive n around in ND i hit 1 rooster with car outta frustration lol my vans 1st rooster it was bad out there on public land... only reason id go back is to get 1 good hunt... i didnt even use my 2nd hunt period in ND last year... MT be better i think ND = hype...

Last edited:
Back