Luck

Heck, it ran out for me on day one. Only a few birds out there and those flush wild in Colorado this year. The few times I've been out was just to get the dog some work. I'm finishing out the season with Scales. It feels rather strang hunting short grass praire after 30 yrs of hunting pheasant cover.

I had shots on roosters this morning and tanked hard i think the shell greatlawn gave me had no lead in them and then we found the quail and it was like i was a retard on meth i couldn't make up my mind wich one to shoot at and thats when the dogs looked at me in discust and walked back to the pickup good thing they cant drive or i would still be walking home

I had shots on roosters this morning and tanked hard i think the shell greatlawn gave me had no lead in them and then we found the quail and it was like i was a retard on meth i couldn't make up my mind wich one to shoot at and thats when the dogs looked at me in discust and walked back to the pickup good thing they cant drive or i would still be walking home

And you were all anxious to show off those pictures your new phone would take:D.

Maybe your luck rubbed off on me. I took my son and his buddy on his buddies family ground. We easily could have limited if we'd shot better and been positioned a bit better, but we came home with 7 and had over 24 points on birds. Young Trapper had his first 2 points on wild pheasants and retreived a couple. He also pointed dead on one. We probably moved close to 100 pheasants! Nice to finally have a quality outing!

Ha ha! That happened to me yesterday. Quail were getting up around my EP and I was shooting to beat heck but nothing was falling. He looked at me like WTF? Am I the only one thats going to do anything here?

I did connect with a couple finally and he got to get some retrieving done. :cheers:

When I went in November I should've had around 15 in the bag and came back with 4. It could've been a long walk back to Texas for me. Had some unhappy dogs.

Gove County Brit,
Don't go blaming your friends dog, and yes I have heard you called a dumb A$$ but never no mind, ifin ya doesn't get out of bed before 9 am you ain't gonna do no good no ways, the boys said they had to pull you outta bed, said ya been drinking some of Kansas's finest the nite before. Ya needs to borrow a short hair:)

those britts again

mr. gove county, just couldn't pass this one up. one, there have been many post on loaning out your dog, most of them didn't deal with the smarts it takes to borrow a good dog. another thing, the problem with britts is if a guy wanted to do a lot of hunting he would need a couple doz. of them as they just can't keep up, therefore ya need to beg or borrow whatever your buddy has to offer and as the other guy said, if you had a shorthair, problem solved. snowing really hard in greeley today, hope some of it drifts your way, probably would help your dogs some, kinda like it bunches of the birds and even poor noses can smell birds by the bunch

cheers

hell, we all know the problem, it was the dogs

What????? You sir are a real tool. Did your parents not teach you, that if you have nothing to say that is NICE, don't say anything at all. Do you know any of the people that have posted on this thread??? I bet you don't and to attack them for there dogs, have you hunted behind there dogs???

You need to figure out how to behave on this sight. :mad:

britts

you need to lighten up a bit, not good for your health, if you are that sensitive it really might be your dogs otherwise you would brush it off. maybe just maybe you ought to become familiar with o' spaulding hoffhacker, i suspect that you do a fair amount of hunting and do quite well at it and enjoy your dogs, that's what this thing is all about, can't take a ribbing or the heat, maybe you ought to get out of the kitchen or find something you can handle

you need to lighten up a bit, not good for your health, if you are that sensitive it really might be your dogs otherwise you would brush it off. maybe just maybe you ought to become familiar with o' spaulding hoffhacker, i suspect that you do a fair amount of hunting and do quite well at it and enjoy your dogs, that's what this thing is all about, can't take a ribbing or the heat, maybe you ought to get out of the kitchen or find something you can handle

Your Right I need to lighten up................ I will when you do.

Last edited:

one of my old brittanies(penny)was a much better hunter when we got into birds fast.with in an hour after getting out fo the truck,approximately.
if we wandered for a couple of hours with no birds than she got pretty lackadaisical. maybe it was just the scenting conditioners were better some days than others, so it was like reading a more interesting that day(for her).
point being , i've seen the dogs seem to have an opinion as to the handler's profiency at wing shooting,his choice of coverts,and do he have his mind right today?

one of my old brittanies(penny)was a much better hunter when we got into birds fast.with in an hour after getting out fo the truck,approximately.
if we wandered for a couple of hours with no birds than she got pretty lackadaisical. maybe it was just the scenting conditioners were better some days than others, so it was like reading a more interesting that day(for her).
point being , i've seen the dogs seem to have an opinion as to the handler's profiency at wing shooting,his choice of coverts,and do he have his mind right today?

I think most dogs are like that. In fact i'm like that. I don't need to shoot a limit of birds everyday, but the dogs and I start getting pretty bored if we don't at least feel a few were there recently

Ps. You guys quit picking on Mustistuff. I'm sure he needs a few friends, besides he has pretty much left us lab guys alone. For that we are gratefull.

Last edited:
I would bet that in most cases both dog and hunters do a better job if they get into birds in the first hour or so. Nobody has had time to get bored or distracted.

When my pup goes too long without bird contact, he will point meadowlarks or even mice for something to do. Its part of growing up.

Lets face it the more birds you get your dog into the more likely you well have a solid hunting dog.

Back