Lost GSP in central SD,trying to locate owner

reddog

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/South-Dakota-Game-Fish-and-Parks/277814678738

South Dakota Game Fish and Parks posted this on their Facebook page earlier today.

This beautiful German shorthair was found in a field in central SD with a tracking collar and orange collar, but no tags. The hunter who found him looked for the owner for hours, drove to nearby farms and ended up at a local vet to check for a chip - no chip. The vet kept the dog for a few days, but called the finder to come pick him up. He's a great dog - any ideas on how to find his owner would be appreciated. Email toc@state.sd.us

Later update:

The finder did have him checked several times for a chip, and has called on the serial number and it's not registered. He contacted hunting dog clubs, vets, humane societies, the sheriff's office and left his number with the tracking collar company. No luck so far.

315060_10150386087308739_277814678738_8286052_679573777_n.jpg

If anyone has any information, please contact the email attatched.

Thank you.

Great job in trying to find the owner. May I suggest the Town or County it was found in and also Male or Female with an estimated age.

I appreciate your efforts:10sign::10sign::10sign:

Great job in trying to find the owner. May I suggest the Town or County it was found in and also Male or Female with an estimated age.

I appreciate your efforts:10sign::10sign::10sign:

OKIE,

I would love to give that information out, but it hasnt been released yet for some reason, even though everyone is asking for a more detailed location rather than central SD.

The dog is a male, that I do know.

Ill keep posting more information as it becomes available.

From SDGFP Facebook site this morning..

Update: No owner has been found as of Saturday morning. To answer a lot of questions, the finder checked for ear tattoos, Called the track collar company (the collar was never registered), drove for 2 hours to check with hunters, went to 7 nearby farms, left the dog for 3 days with a vet nearby where he was found, and thanks to all of you on FB, the photo has gone out to 185 other locations including hunting dog groups, rescue groups, humane societies and more. If someone does come forward to claim the dog, the finder will be asking details that will identify the dog. It has several things that will make it easy for the owner to mention. Thank you, everyone, for your interest in helping this dog get home.
53 minutes ago ·

I applaud everyone's effort to get this dog to it's owner, along with that everyone reading this thread need to do at least one of the following. Get a chip placed on your dog or have a plate with a cell number on your collar. My dog has a chip and a plate on both his e collar and regular collar. They have a cell number and an address. Stuff happens, hope this dog either finds it's owner or a good home.

Not making a whole lot of sense, unless the owner is in a comma. Good work by everyone to readily and visibley display this dog.

Hayduke, you nailed it. Better too much information on our dogs. I do exactly what you said and also add a piece of athlethic tape with the hotel we are staying at. I cant imagine having to make the call home saying we lost one of the dogs. I've heard stories about people losing dogs and leaving behind a coat where the hunt started and finding the dog laying on the coat in the morning. They also sell bike saftey lights that you can clip on dogs collar that will blink at almost a 100 lumen. You can see that in daylight and especially at night. Cheap insurance for about $ 15 bucks.

Not making a whole lot of sense, unless the owner is in a comma. Good work by everyone to readily and visibley display this dog.

I'm with you on this one, something isn't adding up. Maybe something happened to the owner??? Maybe it was dumped, but the collars left on it doesn't make that seem like the answer either. My family has come across a few bird dogs left behind in Western Kansas over the years, but most of them never have collars on.

There have been 20 posts to the facebook site indicating they think it was a dumped dog, but that doesnt make any sense to dump a dog with collar and a GPS collar that can cost between 250 and 600 dollars.

Even if the dog was dumped, there have also been many posts to the facebook site indicating that it would make a great addition to a new family, so I believe that the dog is in the best hands possible, considering the circumstances.

Kudos to the man that found the dog, for the effort he has put into trying to find the owner. It would surely be disheartening to find out that it was truly a dumped dog.

Last edited:
Kudos to the man that found the dog, for the effort he has put into trying to find the owner. It would surely be disheartening to find out that it was truly a dumped dog.

Nice job reddog. I think it's great that you've posted this. God forbid this was one of our dogs. I couldn't imagine.

That looks like a fine dog. I'm sure the owner and the dog will connect again.

I applaud everyone's effort to get this dog to it's owner, along with that everyone reading this thread need to do at least one of the following. Get a chip placed on your dog or have a plate with a cell number on your collar. My dog has a chip and a plate on both his e collar and regular collar. They have a cell number and an address. Stuff happens, hope this dog either finds it's owner or a good home.

how much is it to do the chip duke? i was thinking of doing this also

I'm not Duke, but can answer the question, as I just had this done to my new GSP pup in September.

The chip that I had installed, was a Home Again chip. When I asked how much it was to have it done, I was told $49, so I said go ahead. After the chip was implanted and I was paying my bill, the receptionist asked me of I wanted to register the chip with Home Again. I thought.... Hmmm, what good will it do to have the chip, it it isnt attached to some kind of database. ( I do know that with a previous Black Lab I had years ago that went off for training/trialing for 9 some odd months, that I chipped him just to make sure that I got the same dog back, as they can change in appearance considerably betwen 6 months and 15 months)

To register the chip into the Home Again database is an additional $21, so the end cost was $70

I'm not Duke, but can answer the question, as I just had this done to my new GSP pup in September.

The chip that I had installed, was a Home Again chip. When I asked how much it was to have it done, I was told $49, so I said go ahead. After the chip was implanted and I was paying my bill, the receptionist asked me of I wanted to register the chip with Home Again. I thought.... Hmmm, what good will it do to have the chip, it it isnt attached to some kind of database. ( I do know that with a previous Black Lab I had years ago that went off for training/trialing for 9 some odd months, that I chipped him just to make sure that I got the same dog back, as they can change in appearance considerably betwen 6 months and 15 months)

To register the chip into the Home Again database is an additional $21, so the end cost was $70

oh ok thanks thats not bad at all considering how expensive dogs are and training and the time it takes to wild bird the way we like them to

I had it done a couple years ago and I believe Pointer is right on. It was under $100 for sure.

Glad you asked this question OaP. I just got curious about my chip and went to the Home Away Web site where there is a place to request information of a chip number, and low and behold, my number does not show up as a registered number at HA.

I sent an email to my vet clinic asking them to rectify this situation.

Its possible an owner has been found for this dog according to the Facebook site, but no details have been released since early this afternoon.

A Facebook poster said it was his family pet and had been gone since last month. Lets hope so, but for reasons Im not going to say at this time, lets just say..... I'm skeptical..

A possible explanation is that the owner does not want him back -- perhaps because he couldn't control his range. He ran off and the owner simply left without him. Time for someone to adopt the nice looking dog.

Alternative to a Chip: Stores like Petco have dog tag engraving machines that allow you to put whatever you want on a tag. My dog's tag says: "My Phone No. 785-[cell no.]." Of course, this is of no help if the dog is stolen and the tag removed. But I dont think stolen dogs are likely to be taken to a vet where they could be scanned for a chip. The tag costs about $12.

Last edited:
I to applaud all effort's in reuniting this fine looking dog with his owner, or being placed in a caring home. Lost my young black lab in a giant cornfield many year's ago. Had no business even walking in there, (Young, and foolish.) After a 7 hr search was found 4 mile's away exhausted in a alpha field. Hope this one also turn's out well. Great advice hayduke on the chip. It can be a life saver.

how much is it to do the chip duke? i was thinking of doing this also

We chip them ourselves right in our kennel and offer the service as part of your purchase package.

Even though many never register their dog with home again, we still have been contacted and helped get several lost dogs back to their owners safe and sound.

Last edited:
Back