Looking for a one day hunt around New England

dvmweb

Our group has hunted nw ND for the past 7 years. We have friends in the area and have been able to hunt private land. There are 4-6 of us, depending on who goes.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on Pay to Hunt in SW ND for one day, Wednesday October 19, 2011? I understand that is how it is done, usually, in that part of the State. We are looking for the "clouds of wild birds experience".

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the very insightful response.

We would like to do this on our way home. Any inside info would be appreciated. Ie, reviews, personal contacts, constructive suggestions.

look up hunting for humanity , it is a large ranch that uses funds from hunters to raise money for housing projects. They offer guided, and unguided hunts. VERY good reputation, and they do have Clouds of Pheasants! Spend the money, you wont be dissapointed. Friends have gone and raved. :)

I 2nd 'Hunting For Humanity' = top notch folks & reasonable - not Free (or dirt cheap), but just as good an operation as any of the top dawgs out in sw ND & a lot cheaper than the competition. Anybody who does the kind of things they do with the profits can't be all that bad of a person/outfit! :thumbsup:

ONLY $100 per bird...and "cheaper" than the competition you say? What a bargain! I will head the the grocery store and pick up a chicken before I waste that kind of money on a canned 'hunting experience'. Might be time to consider hanging up the shootin iron if this is what it comes down to. :cheers:

Last edited:
Whoever said $100 per bird??? :eek: It was $100 per day/per person (late season & still plenty of birds) when I was there...which is why I hardly ever pay hunt in the 1st place. BUT, in the grand scheme of things if a man is gonna pay-hunt anyway that is a pretty reasonable price at the low end of things NATIONWIDE for prime "clouds of pheasants" turf - anything less in most cases & a man will figure out real quick he ain't gonna get what he didn't pay for...

The Hunting For Humanity guys are good, honest people & the money if you're gonna spend it anyway goes to a worthy cause! And I can promise you, there were CLOUDS of pheasants!!! BTW, be4 you pre-judge - go hunt 'em & you'll find out in short order just how "canned" the psychotic WILD little devils are (just cause they're there, doesn't mean you're gonna get close enough to get any of em very easy)... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I was just attempting to honestly answer the question of the original poster who asked for a PAY-to-hunt place with the "clouds of birds" experience...Unless you or I happen to know someone or are content with less than "clouds" of pheasants, do you have any idea how many thousands of $$$ & back-breaking labor are spent in habitat improvements & otherwise to produce CLOUDS of wild-pheasants (yeah, they do exist - and no, I don't need them to make my rooster-chasin days happy). It never ceases to amaze me how many people want somebody else to do all the work & spend all the money, then just let any-&-everybody trample all over it at will for free as if it is owed like some kind of God-given right. :confused:

Yeah, OK - would somebody please find me "CLOUDS" of wild pheasants on some of the very best rooster-turf in North America for say $20 or $50 total for the day or week & include me in the deal - I'm ALL IN, pen & check in hand (cash if you like)!!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

It may not be your or my style, but it is still a free world in America at the moment & people can pay for whatever they want. I was just trying to legitimately help the guy find what he asked for at as "reasonable" a price as it's gonna be found. I know the dudes I'm talkin about & believe me - they ain't rich, drivin Lexus & Benz's or livin in big, fancy homes. Perhaps the guy should just mosey over to Cannonball or one of them fancy SD joints & find out what "clouds" of wild pheasants can really cost...

Now if y'all will excuse me - I will go back to being content with the pooch & I scratchin out a few for a hard days work on public & a few lesser-than-clouds private properties. Sheez, this can be a prickly, self-righteous bunch sometimes... :cheers:

Last edited:
Whoever said $100 per bird??? :eek:

BTW, be4 you pre-judge - go hunt 'em & you'll find out in short order just how "canned" the psychotic WILD little devils are (just cause they're there, doesn't mean you're gonna get close enough to get any of em very easy)... :thumbsup:

THEY said $100 per bird. $300 per man per day...3 bird limit...complete the math. I guess you can get er down a tad cheaper with a big group...but still!

BTW, I can "pre-judge". I have lived and hunted in ND for the better part of 50 years. We (residents) dont pay to hunt. The ancillary costs of fuel, shells, license etc are high enough. If I have to add in paying some %&*#er to get on his land, so he can point me where to walk for a crack at a rooster, it is indeed over for me. Wild birds or not...that is what I call a "canned hunt". Driving to some resort/ranch and handing cash to someone to get on their land (to shoot birds that they have purposefully CULTIVATED), is NOT 'hunting'. At least thats not the tradition of 'hunting' that I grew up to respect and cherish.

We are looking at super lean times for birding (TRUE, WILD birding) in the vast majority of the state...for some time to come. The last 5 years or so (prior to 2010) were as good as any in my lifetime (for rooster hunting). I will remember them fondly.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm not pointing any fingers at anybody,but, those that have easy access to phez should feel lucky. There are people that have to go out of their home state and pay to have access to wild phez.I know I'm one of those people that has to travel out of state to get truly wild phez and not pen raised then released to possibly make it through the winter.This makes it hard for people that don't have money because of the prices that are charged for access to phez. For me to go out of state I have to save for 1 year for just 1 trip to anywhere that has phez,some people it's longer.

please remember this was a post looking for advice on getting great hunting by someone who was willing, and able to pay. Additionaly the people doing the outfitting guiding in this case actually do something unselfishly with the money for the good of other people.

That in my mind is a double whammy for the good of all!

We all wish we could go walkin out in the neighbors fields to hunt on a brilliant october evening after work, but the vast majority of people who hunt wild pheasants have to pay one way or the other, time, travel, saving money , equipment, dogs, and being away from family .

No disrespect for any, but the fact is , there isnt very much FREE hunting for wild birds any where ,when you take all the Costs into consideration, unless you have relatives or friends in a handfull of states!

good hunting this fall, this weekend it opens!

I was just attempting to honestly answer the question of the original poster who asked for a PAY-to-hunt place with the "clouds of birds" experience...Unless you or I happen to know someone or are content with less than "clouds" of pheasants, do you have any idea how many thousands of $$$ & back-breaking labor are spent in habitat improvements & otherwise to produce CLOUDS of wild-pheasants (yeah, they do exist - and no, I don't need them to make my rooster-chasin days happy). It never ceases to amaze me how many people want somebody else to do all the work & spend all the money, then just let any-&-everybody trample all over it at will for free as if it is owed like some kind of God-given right. :confused:

Yeah, OK - would somebody please find me "CLOUDS" of wild pheasants on some of the very best rooster-turf in North America for say $20 or $50 total for the day or week & include me in the deal - I'm ALL IN, pen & check in hand (cash if you like)!!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

It may not be your or my style, but it is still a free world in America at the moment & people can pay for whatever they want. I was just trying to legitimately help the guy find what he asked for at as "reasonable" a price as it's gonna be found. I know the dudes I'm talkin about & believe me - they ain't rich, drivin Lexus & Benz's or livin in big, fancy homes. Perhaps the guy should just mosey over to Cannonball or one of them fancy SD joints & find out what "clouds" of wild pheasants can really cost...

Now if y'all will excuse me - I will go back to being content with the pooch & I scratchin out a few for a hard days work on public & a few lesser-than-clouds private properties. Sheez, this can be a prickly, self-righteous bunch sometimes... :cheers:

before this year in ND I have seen clouds on non posted land in ND. I will let you know if I find any this season.... very doubtful.
I didn't see anyone going over board on thier posts . But I am with the ones that think $100.00 a bird is high. I will run my dogs all day for 1 bird if I have to. I just love to hunt and I think most of the guys on the thread do too.

I do not pay to hunt ,but this year is no gaurantee to clouds of birds and if there is can we even get close to them.

Also people that charge to hunt must have birds to shoot so they have to raise the birds and build their habitat for the birds to stay in, that costs money of course. But they choose to do it and it is a business just like anybody in businees they do it to make money. Some do and some don't.

I'm just saying, it's my opinon, just like everyone elses.

here's a thought.... what if they only shoot 1 is it $300.00 per bird then??:confused:
too funny!

Does anyone have a good suggestion on Pay to Hunt in SW ND for one day, Wednesday October 19, 2011? I understand that is how it is done, usually, in that part of the State. We are looking for the "clouds of wild birds experience".

Thanks for your help.

I don't have a problem with anyone hunting however they see fit (& just for the record, I don't pay either), but since the above direct-question was clearly the intent by the original poster of this thread, I was just trying to stay on track & answer the question. I don't really see the need for a sermonizing tirade against the poor man's question - perhaps there just needs to be a totally separate thread started up by one of you guys against the evils of paid hunting.

I do find several things implied so far to be a bit ironic: As to "cultivated" birds, every single rooster in this country has been cultivated in one way or another because there were ZERO native to North America before we brought 'em over & they don't tend to take root well where the habitat is not constantly "cultivated" to their liking (thriving best nationwide in the same basic mosaic/mix of corn, wheat, CRP grass, shelterbelts, ect - regardless of who is paying for it & why). Secondly, pheasant-hunting is a fairly expensive sport any way you look at it whether you purchase & manage your own land, pay outright for the privilege or burn up years worth of miles and gasoline & bust your @$$ scouting and knocking on doors like I have to find the kind of freelance honey-holes I have slowly accumulated. Avoid the fuzzy math & you will quickly conclude that no method of pheasant hunting is "free" or cheap - unless you happen to be one of the very few lucky enough to live right down the road from a friend or landowner & can simply mooch.

Lastly, if you peruse a little further down Hunting For Humanity's page you will easily find this which I simply copied & pasted straight from their website:
Some lodging available
Managed hunts - $180/hunter/day-Oct
Managed hunts - $150/hunter/day-Nov.
Managed hunts - $120/hunter/day-Dec/Jan.
Umm, that would be for guys like me who just want to be turned loose with their dogs & not have a bib put on them & their @$$ wiped for them (that type of pampered hunting always comes with a rather hefty fee)...AND, notice the downward sliding scale as the season progresses - of course the Oct beginning/opener of the season is rightfully-so gonna be more expensive (I am not even allowed to set foot on some of my best FREElance properties until the landowner, friends, family & yes sometimes paying customers have had first crack - but there are always plenty birds left over & in fact my best hunts are usually late in the year when the snow flies anyway).

I have no connection whatsoever to Hunting for Humanity & am not trying to sell anyone or anything - other than I just met them one time, hunted with them & REALLY LIKED both them as people & the definite clouds of pheasants I experienced - they just happened to be who immediately came to mind in the exact New England area where the original inquirer above was specifically asking about.

As to any $250-300 a bird (if you want to count it strictly that way), there are MANY places a man can do that outright in ND, SD, KS & all the rest to the tune of $700-$1000 per day all-inclusive with meals & lodging...Not my cup of tea either, but I begrudge no man who wants to pay his own hard earned money for a vacation with the full VIP experience (which usually comes with turned-down sheets, steak dinner, hot tub, bird cleaning, ect, ect, ect)...

Sheez dudes, nobody asked any of you to pay one red cent for anything or even to go pheasant hunting at all if you don't want to. How bout we just answer the man's question & not castigate him for asking... If that doesn't work, how about one of you with all that free access to clouds of pheasants simply share the privilege with him, me or ALL the rest of us free-of-charge??? Yeah, that's what I thought... :D :p :cheers:

Last edited:
Just a reminder, Those pricey outfits raise and release many thousands of pheasants even during years when the wild population is good.

They have to, why? they have to satisfy customers, want repeat customers.
A steady supply of pen raised birds are released as needed when groups of hunters show up.

They advertise wild pheasants because usually there is a good early supply. But they thin down after the first few days, survivors get very hard to hunt. So, the steady supply of pen raised birds.

That said, $180 per day day isn't all that bad, if you consider the cost of the average vacation day.

Jeez! Sorry I asked. Silly people here? We've got it figured out, and, thanks?

brother i am sorry if some of the pheasant hunting " elitists" beat you up a little on your question. I have hunted pheasants for many years in many different states. I have hunted public, private, preserve, for free and paid trespass fees. I for one encourage people to hunt them any way you can. Whether or not you pay to hunt makes you no less of a hunter. Instead of discouraging hunters, we need every person we can get.

Back