Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

This has come up before. People bitching about the disrespect of MN hunters when they are in another state.

I'm here to tell you that it wasn't me, because I haven't hunted outside of my own state in over a decade now. If you think MN bird hunters are being disrespectful or unethical, come here or visit Wisconsin during the week of deer firearms season. Its a much bigger clown show and everyone is slinging long range rifle ammo or inaccurate slugs around the country side at 4-legged rats. Better put on some body armor.

Road hunters that walk the edge of your posted property instead of ditch and also let their dogs run free on the field while they are walking to road.

Road hunters that walk the edge of your posted property instead of ditch and also let their dogs run free on the field while they are walking to road.
I imagine it can be frustrating. It took twenty years before I really did much road hunting in SD. Living and growing up in Kansas where it is not allowed, it never felt right.

It’s funny how certain states get bad reputations. In Kansas for me it was always the hordes of Texas guys in their King Ranch trucks and ten hole dog trailers. Funny thing was the western Kansas crowd hated us rich eastern Kansas liberals more 😂. I have had more than a couple SD farmers say we could hunt as long as we weren’t from Wisconsin.

A group of 10, spaced 30 yds apart, with almost as many dogs, could sort of cover 2/3 of a 1/2 section of thick cover in an up-&-back. But they'd be dumb to try. It's such a big area, & the "up" would take so long, birds would filter in behind them. Around here a 1/2 section is plenty big for 2 much smaller groups.
Agreed 100%. I have zero problem with another group coming in from the other end and working together. The guys I hunt with sometimes split up. Then we come back together and look where the others are walking and try and be somewhat of a blocker if you will for them. Works out really well.

Usually not and the cover will be thick. That said I usually take a walk and listen to the dog put up grouse in the cover that I can't see into. Dog appreciates it and I enjoy it. I usually don't get excited till mid Sept or after the first frost, in the interior that can happen a couple weeks earlier. I'm coastal on the Kenai.
I have fished the Kenai, beautiful area.

Growing up in NW IA in the 90’s, all I saw the first few weekends (while riding with dad on opening trapping weekendthe weekend after) were MN trucks. Everywhere. And my old man and his buddies hated it. Most were pricks, we were gonna catch their dogs or interrupt their hunt. All private land. Fun fact-dad caught a dog in a conibear from a MN guy who is on the Forbes list-a billionaire. Dead. All while beaver trapping upon that guy’s family request who dad was friends with. Guy apologized his dog messed up the trapping once he figured out who Dad was. Those beavers needed outa there. Dad still felt horrible. Dogs are dogs no matter who owns them and most are awesome, whether they hunt or not. But not all MN guys were horrible we found out😊

The Missouri river in South Dakota.
I was gonna say, if you were talking the Mississippi in Red Wing, then all the complaints are coming from MN/WI directed at Iowans coming up and throwing everything in the livewell they can. I've never put much stock in judging people as sportsmen based on their state of origin. You either have ethics in how you hunt and fish or you don't.

A separate story that always puts a smile on my face, we were duck hunting in NoDak, and my buddies saw a field full of fowl. They drove to the house to door knock. The owner was out in the driveway and before they could even get a word out he said, "It's posted for a reason." They hopped right back in the truck and drove away😂 . Ah north dakota duck hunting, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

Back