Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

A couple seasons ago, on opening day, I was out with my lab on a good familiar 1/4 section of CRP. Over the rise come 4-5 guys and some dogs headed right at me on a line. Not sure why the didn’t see me. Turns out they parked a short distance from me too. Initially upset, I decided to leave. Decided to look for a different field and actually found a couple of good fields a few miles down the road. Hunted those fields multiple times that season and since and often have found birds there. Funny thing is that I likely wouldn’t have found the new fields if I hadn’t left that old familiar field opening day. Lesson learned.
thats called good karma!

I have hunted with some off of this forum before and with the exception of a couple, would do it again. I hunted with one guy I have known for 35 years. He was a good friend, and we had many adventures pushing birds in 5-6 different states. He had many annoying qualities but we got along fairly well. Unfortunately his alcoholism got the best of him and became more than I could put up with. Our last interaction was when he blew me off on a Wednesday morning when we were heading north. I went into the city to pick him up at 5am, and neither him or his truck were anywhere to be found. He did call me at 9 or so to tell me he ended up at some bar skanks house and he was sorry, but I was done. I don’t mind hunting by myself, but I do prefer the company of a couple others.

C, Yes I lost a good hunting buddy due to alcoholism. He died a few years back. He introduced me to Grouse hunting 20+ years ago. Lost another hunting buddy due to a heart attack.

Last edited:
Carptom1 said: "I don’t mind hunting by myself, but I do prefer the company of a couple others." Carptom1 is a boon hunting companion.

Last edited:
People that yell "HEN!" when hunting. Noise tips off other birds to your presence so stop yelling. We all know what the difference is between a rooster and a hen.

Dogs that don't obey. They get way too far ahead of the guns, their owners are constantly yelling, and they chew birds into a pulp. And then when you tell them that their dog is ruining the hunt, they get upset.

Lately, lack of rain has really been starting to bother me too. We get a mountain of snow in the winter and then it goes directly to bone dry parched summer.

Last edited:
A square mile patch can definitely handle more than one hunting party. Even a half square mile is a big area.
How little do you walk that a half square is big? If you walk down and back you've covered 2/3s of that property. Not much room left for a stranger to hop in the same field.

A group of 10, spaced 30 yds apart, with almost as many dogs, could sort of cover 2/3 of a 1/2 section of thick cover in an up-&-back. But they'd be dumb to try. It's such a big area, & the "up" would take so long, birds would filter in behind them. Around here a 1/2 section is plenty big for 2 much smaller groups.

Last edited:
A half square mile. So like a 1/2 by 1 mile section. You walk 1 mile down and then quarter mile in and back. You've done 2.5 miles of walking and covered 2/3 of the area depending on grass thickness and how much your dogs run.
Man your dog must run big.. if you took it in 100 yd swaths it would take you 8 miles to cover it all

Man your dog must run big.. if you took it in 100 yd swaths it would take you 8 miles to cover it all
100-150 yards to each side. So 200-300 yard swaths. But you don't need to hit those swatchs right next to each other. I'll typically do 2 there and backs on those sections which makes for 5ish miles. That assumes the dogs are getting birdied in the field. It's not uncommon around us to do those fields and only kick out 2 roosters. Which someone coming into the field while you are working it is essentially coming in to kill those 2 roosters you were pushing.

100-150 yards to each side. So 200-300 yard swaths. But you don't need to hit those swatchs right next to each other. I'll typically do 2 there and backs on those sections which makes for 5ish miles. That assumes the dogs are getting birdied in the field. It's not uncommon around us to do those fields and only kick out 2 roosters.
If the closest you come to the edge of the cover is 100-150 yds, that may have something to do with not seeing many roosters. How many dogs are you using to "cover" a 300-yd swath?

Well you missed several hundred others maybe
100-150 yards to each side. So 200-300 yard swaths. But you don't need to hit those swatchs right next to each other. I'll typically do 2 there and backs on those sections which makes for 5ish miles. That assumes the dogs are getting birdied in the field. It's not uncommon around us to do those fields and only kick out 2 roosters. Which someone coming into the field while you are working it is essentially coming in to kill those 2 roosters you were pushing.
well you missed several hundred others maybe they are hunting those. I’m just giving you shit man , I guess if it bothers you it bothers you. It wouldn’t me , maybe on a quarter

Back