Hunting in NE KS

CT20

I am planning a hunt to NE KS around the Hiawatha area. It has been several years since I have been there, can anyone tell me what the quail numbers have been like in recent years? Also pheasant in that area?

Thanks

i wouldnt waste your time there, drive 2.5 hrs west on hwy 36, itll be worth the drive

i wouldnt waste your time there, drive 2.5 hrs west on hwy 36, itll be worth the drive

I would agree thats what my brother and I did last january when we were there stayed around Smithcenter and phillipsburg. I was told the further west and south you are the better.

it is definately better here around the gove county area I grew up around norton phipsburg area and the hunting hasnt been the same for a long time

How are the farmers/land owners in that area 2.5 hours west? We have always had good luck with farmers allowing us to hunt their land.

Hunting in NE Kansas

I have hunted that area from Seneca on back to Hiawatha for the last two years. Last year it appeared that there was a decent increase in quail numbers, with a decrease in pheasant numbers. Then the snow came, with drifts 4-5 feet tall for 30+ days, made hunting nearly impossible, some east west roads impassable. I hunt 1300 acres of private, plus walk-in areas. If I had to drive any distance, I would go elsewhere. Bird numbers are very light. I also agree that the Phillipsburg- Mankato area is not what it was either. In the 70's and 80's, I shot many limits of quail, and pheasants in both areas, I won't even try to tell you how good it was, because you wouldn't believe it anyway, been long enough, and so dismal now, I wonder if I even believe it! Sadly, I will tell you that the Harlan-Phelps-Kearney county, Nebraska, and the southeast counties of Nebraska, are in the same situation. I am considering hunting less days, and going farther afield, this season, in an effort to find a legitimate multi-bird pheasant flush, so my young hunters know what they look like. In the areas you mention, you will walk through what seems to be excellent cover for hours to flush a small covey or isolated rooster or two. Gove, saId it best, look at the Kansas crow count, last spring. Good Luck.

I have hunted the Smith Center/Philipsburg area for the last 7 years and the numbers have been steadily declining every year, the cover is great, the farmers are friendly, but the bird numbers are not.

Rut

How are the farmers/land owners in that area 2.5 hours west? We have always had good luck with farmers allowing us to hunt their land.

its tough getting on private land out there, but there is plenty of good wiha. just stop at walmart, get an atlas and youre good to go!

Back