Governor Noem writes about her hunting dog

The only way it makes any sense that this was published is like A5 and a couple others mentioned, in that a witness of this event had been found and it was going to come out so her camp tried to get in front of it and control the narrative. Once that was mentioned I thought on it, I agree and that's the only way it makes sense to put that out.

Initially, I thought this would have some damning repercussions on Governor Noem. As I see the comments in support of her, as well as the tribalistic nature of American politics, I don't think this will really have much of an effect on her career. I could be wrong. Hope I am, but there really seems to be no bottom to the character flaws that American politicians can weather.
The floor does get lower and lower. Reminds me of an old alcoholic I used to know. He said every time he thought he was at his bottom, he would borrow a shovel and dig a little deeper.

New story says her book was ghost written

Last edited:
New story says her book was ghost written
I saw that, from the NYT:

“Ms. Noem’s new book also includes an error about when a phone call with Nikki Haley took place. That will be corrected in future editions of the book, too, said Ian Fury, the chief of communications for Ms. Noem.

“It was brought to our attention that the upcoming book ‘No Going Back’ has two small errors,” Mr. Fury said. “This has been communicated to the ghostwriter and editor. Kim Jong-un was included in a list of world leaders and shouldn’t have been.”

How do mistakenly put meeting the leader of North Korea in your book ? Something is really fishy.

Not political? Hah.

A large number of the posts discuss the effect on Noem’s political career/politics.

This thread is very political. If it weren’t the discussion would be about whether the shooting of the dog was justified, if the situation was truly as reported and if the somewhat common practice of shooting a dog to put it down for any reason is acceptable.

But it’s centered on Noem’s political future for the most part now.

Not political? Hah.

A large number of the posts discuss the effect on Noem’s political career/politics.

This thread is very political. If it weren’t the discussion would be about whether the shooting of the dog was justified, if the situation was truly as reported and if the somewhat common practice of shooting a dog to put it down for any reason is acceptable.

But it’s centered on Noem’s political future for the most part now.
Yes...the question about her career,which happens to be politics(at least for now...lol) does enter into the discussion.
Would be exactly the same...or worse..if it was a sports athlete or a hollywood star....this isn't political as much as it is karma centered around the actions of one individual.
In my opinion a lot of politcians want to be seen as celebrities and go too far out of their way to gin up attraction/votes...so if it comes back to bite them, so be it...they own it.

Narcissism and a feeling of invincibility is the downfall of many (politician, celebrity, pro athlete). Then when the hammer falls (you get caught, exposed, or called out) you resort to blaming others around you. So, Noem did not bother to read her own ghost-written biography ?

Again, the people of SD can have whoever they want as governor that is their choice ... hope Zeb is right, and she is off the list for VP.

Last edited:
Yes...the question about her career,which happens to be politics(at least for now...lol) does enter into the discussion.
Would be exactly the same...or worse..if it was a sports athlete or a hollywood star....this isn't political as much as it is karma centered around the actions of one individual.
In my opinion a lot of politcians want to be seen as celebrities and go too far out of their way to gin up attraction/votes...so if it comes back to bite them, so be it...they own it.
So we can start a thread about Biden’s dog biting multiple people at the White House and everyone will be ok with that?

So we can start a thread about Biden’s dog biting multiple people at the White House and everyone will be ok with that?
It's a free country...start whatever thread you want.
As far as Bidens dog biting people...I would say thats on him and it's bullshit. Not much different from pandering his youngest son and not showing some tough love..
There..satisfied..is that political enough for you? Still doesn't have a damn thing to do with a 14 month wirehair getting offed because the owner"hated" that dog. Again, ad nauseum it's not about her politics....don't understand why you are so defensive on this. Care to explain? Seriously, I would like to know why you have a burr in your bonnet..Is she like someone special to you ?

It's a free country...start whatever thread you want.
As far as Bidens dog biting people...I would say thats on him and it's bullshit. Not much different from pandering his youngest son and not showing some tough love..
There..satisfied..is that political enough for you? Still doesn't have a damn thing to do with a 14 month wirehair getting offed because the owner"hated" that dog. Again, ad nauseum it's not about her politics....don't understand why you are so defensive on this. Care to explain? Seriously, I would like to know why you have a burr in your bonnet..Is she like someone special to you ?
Is that why they call you haretrigger 😆

Man this threads run its course

It's too bad that some folks have to "yeah,but" this in regards to politics. This story was striking because the leader of the largest pheasant hunting state was proud of the fact that she killed her own hunting dog after a bad hunt that seemed to directly stem from her inability to handle a high drive hunting dog.

Shame on her.

She needs to take her handlers and her publicists to the gravel pit.

They might be stupid, but they're not THAT stupid. They must've had reason to believe the story was going to come out. They must have calculated that to reduce damage, the story needed to come out with HER spin on it, rather than somebody else's. So she/they hammered out a book real quick. Basically, she leaked it herself.
Thinking some more...actually, maybe her handlers/publicists DO need to be taken to the gravel pit.

I still believe the story was leaked to control the narrative, which is understandable if they suspected the story was about to be broken. That's politics.

But what a crappy job they did. What I understand is essentially, "I made the tough decision to shoot my dog because it ruined a hunt, killed some chickens, snapped at me, & I was protecting my kids."

Smarter people might've added, "Since then I've learned that probably wasn't the best decision. My life with dogs & the outdoors has taught me that whatever Cricket did, I should've prevented. I put Cricket in positions I hadn't equipped him/her to deal with. To this day, I feel pretty badly about the situation, but like all mistakes, I've tried to learn from it & believe that I have."

But she/they haven't said that, to my knowledge. Goes to show the whole bunch of them really AREN'T dog/outdoors people, even though we see her "hunting" on TV a couple times each fall. Any one of us (REAL dog/outdoors people), given years to reflect & grow through our experiences, would've reached the truth about the situation & decided the truth was the best way to minimize the damage.

Last edited:
It's too bad that some folks have to "yeah,but" this in regards to politics. This story was striking because the leader of the largest pheasant hunting state was proud of the fact that she killed her own hunting dog after a bad hunt that seemed to directly stem from her inability to handle a high drive hunting dog.

Shame on her.
Yep...this is where a lot of us are on this....
Lots of passion about our 4 footed hunting partners...mine are surrogate kids as well

“ would like to know why you have a burr in your bonnet.”

Happy to explain. It wasn’t that long ago that even a whiff of a political post was immediately cause for outrage. Posters upset because they came here to get away from politics. Complaints to Webguy, the owner of the site. Warnings issued about political posts.

Even my sig block encouraging joining gun rights groups was cause for upset.

So I’m just amazed that things have changed so much.

Or maybe I’m amazed at the hypocrisy.

“ would like to know why you have a burr in your bonnet.”

Happy to explain. It wasn’t that long ago that even a whiff of a political post was immediately cause for outrage. Posters upset because they came here to get away from politics. Complaints to Webguy, the owner of the site. Warnings issued about political posts.

Even my sig block encouraging joining gun rights groups was cause for upset.

So I’m just amazed that things have changed so much.

Or maybe I’m amazed at the hypocrisy.
Ok, thanks for the reasonable response....agree with you on not needing politics as part of this forum.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the whether this thread has a politcal basis...yes, it involves a politician....I don't see that as evidence alone that the motives/ opinions shared have much to do with where folks are at from a "political" perspective...jmo
Mutt summed it up pretty damn well

This is an election year, we have two well known candidates, neither of whom are truly statesmen "worthy"or capable of leading the country with the most potential in the world (free or not free world, makes no difference) to make it a better place. There is belligerence and dissension everywhere you look, prices on the items we need to live our daily lives are outrageous, there are some who would take our guns, etc. I was a high school senior when people were getting shot in the streets and on campuses in 1970. This is about as chaotic a time as that was, and the implications for all of this going nuclear are about as bad as ever. So hell yes, it's political and anyone who would keep their head in the sand and pretend it isn't, just is not realistic. Stay away from politics? Do it at your own considerable risk.

This is an election year, we have two well known candidates, neither of whom are truly statesmen "worthy"or capable of leading the country with the most potential in the world (free or not free world, makes no difference) to make it a better place. There is belligerence and dissension everywhere you look, prices on the items we need to live our daily lives are outrageous, there are some who would take our guns, etc. I was a high school senior when people were getting shot in the streets and on campuses in 1970. This is about as chaotic a time as that was, and the implications for all of this going nuclear are about as bad as ever. So hell yes, it's political and anyone who would keep their head in the sand and pretend it isn't, just is not realistic. Stay away from politics? Do it at your own considerable risk.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Back