Governor Noem writes about her hunting dog

I don’t even know who she is and the fact she’s a politician is a moot point for me.

With the context provided she was obviously just pissed at the dog. It was just convenient dog bit her so then she felt justified to shoot it. just cause you are “ rural” doesn’t mean it’s a way of life to be a physco haha

Another deal if dog is actually aggressive or bit a kid.

Last edited:
Yes - she had (still has ?) very high ambitions to be Trump,s VP running mate. Trump has confirmed she is on his VP list. She went to IA to campaign for him. Independently (or maybe not) she had her teeth cosmetically improved in Texas (which is apparently another misfire).

The people of SD can make their own decisions on keep or dump her - that is their decision. I do not want to see her as a VP running mate. It would be as bad (if not worse) than Biden selecting Harris.

Initially, I thought this would have some damning repercussions on Governor Noem. As I see the comments in support of her, as well as the tribalistic nature of American politics, I don't think this will really have much of an effect on her career. I could be wrong. Hope I am, but there really seems to be no bottom to the character flaws that American politicians can weather.
Well said..strange times indeed
There should be a rule....bimbos and dip-----s don't get (the privilege) to own a wirehair, or any other working dog for that matter..or the codes to the nuclear football
No soup for her.......(seinfeld)...
I've had them for over 30 years...they can be a handful because they are smart, full of get up and go...and many can have what I call a sense of independence.
Poor little Cricket deserved so much better....all the lame half assed excuses don't cut it by a country mile...and then some.

Well said..strange times indeed
There should be a rule....bimbos and dip-----s don't get (the privilege) to own a wirehair, or any other working dog for that matter..or the codes to the nuclear football
No soup for her.......(seinfeld)...
I've had them for over 30 years...they can be a handful because they are smart, full of get up and go...and many can have what I call a sense of independence.
Poor little Cricket deserved so much better....all the lame half assed excuses don't cut it by a country mile...and then some.
Also....putting an animal down with a shotgun is just not right...birdshot ? Gimme a break...sounds like the billy goat put up a bit of a fight..
Maybe she could hook up with the pyscho wolf abuser in wyoming and make some helpful youtube videos on how to get er done...

My how things have changed. Used to be any posts remotely political resulted in mass pearl clutching and cases of the vapors.
Don't think for most of us this is remotely political. I personally could care less about her beliefs and views. The only thing I find important here is that she used poor judgement in a fit of anger and then wrote about it. This was in poor taste. Her political views could be 100% aligned with mine(have no idea and could care less) but after what she wrote about I could never look he in the eye or share a hunt with her, or even a cup of coffee. Not many people I can say that about. Maybe I'm just sensitive about dogs, but generally speaking I've met more nice dogs than bad ones and can't say that about people.

Also....putting an animal down with a shotgun is just not right...birdshot ? Gimme a break...sounds like the billy goat put up a bit of a fight..
Maybe she could hook up with the pyscho wolf abuser in wyoming and make some helpful youtube videos on how to get er done...
A 12 gauge with pheasant loads would be fine, I haven't shot any dogs with it, but a few coyotes died without a twitch. If I had to do the deed, this what I am grabbing, I have heard way too many stories of ill placed rifle shots. I will refrain from comments on the governor's actions.

A 12 gauge with pheasant loads would be fine, I haven't shot any dogs with it, but a few coyotes died without a twitch. If I had to do the deed, this what I am grabbing, I have heard way too many stories of ill placed rifle shots. I will refrain from comments on the governor's actions.
Different experience for me...In my youth I laid into coyotes with the shotgun while chukar hunting. Rolled em hard, but they always managed to get up and get away...after a couple times I decided that wasn't very nice and they got a pass after that. The 6mm was a different story.
That said...I'm no expert on how best to put down animals in the gravel pit....I'll leave that to others to sort out.

Don't think for most of us this is remotely political. I personally could care less about her beliefs and views. The only thing I find important here is that she used poor judgement in a fit of anger and then wrote about it. This was in poor taste. Her political views could be 100% aligned with mine(have no idea and could care less) but after what she wrote about I could never look he in the eye or share a hunt with her, or even a cup of coffee. Not many people I can say that about. Maybe I'm just sensitive about dogs, but generally speaking I've met more nice dogs than bad ones and can't say that about people.
That sums it up 100% for me as well......

Used to shoot lame sows with a 20 gauge. Worked well.
Dispatching and doctoring animals on the farm and ranch is a necessary part of rural life, and it's usually done directly, not by someone else who has to be paid.

Yes - she had (still has ?) very high ambitions to be Trump,s VP running mate. Trump has confirmed she is on his VP list. She went to IA to campaign for him. Independently (or maybe not) she had her teeth cosmetically improved in Texas (which is apparently another misfire).

The people of SD can make their own decisions on keep or dump her - that is their decision. I do not want to see her as a VP running mate. It would be as bad (if not worse) than Biden selecting Harris.
According to what I've read now she is no longer on Trump's VP list. She crapped in her own bed! :)

Just saw a clip of her defending it. She claimed her home was the second chance for the dog, it being too aggressive for the 1st owners. She claimed said it killed neighbor's livestock and bit her, so she killed it before it bit one of her kids. Called it a dangerous animal. If the neighbor's livestock she is talking about were chickens that's totally understandable. It was a bird dog for goodness's sake. She also called it a working dog. Never heard a wire called a working dog. So, I'm still on the fence. Even if she made a bad decision, compare her to the present V.P.

They say no publicity is bad publicity.
Seems like a dumb thing to write about to me.... But maybe she was deemed to unknown to be a contender for VP. Many of us on her call SD home or at least a second home, but the rest of the US doesn't think twice about SD and their governor.

Many of us on her call SD home or at least a second home, but the rest of the US doesn't think twice about SD and their governor.
Your are totally incorrect in your statement about the rest of the country doesn't think twice about her. I winter in Arizona and when someone sees my SD license plate they come up to me and say "we just love your governor". This has happened many times from people all over the US. I think it largely has to due with how she handled things in SD during the Covid. Not shutting schools and businesses down. She actually got a very good rep because of that. But this shooting the dog deal has destroyed her political career. It was a dumb thing to do 20 years ago and even dumber to write about it now.

It was a dumb thing to do 20 years ago and even dumber to write about it now.

This is the ironic part. We've all done things we regret in life. But to publish it in a book while having VP aspirations is the epitome of stupidity. Especially in a state where upland bird hunting and hunting dogs are a massive part of the state's economy and tourism.

Back