GoPro recommendations & accessories???

Shawk

I read through the old posts. What are the must haves you'd recommend when I buy one of these? Planning on a Silver unless convinced otherwise...

Here's all I have at this point... no doubt, I'm sure I'm missing some things? This is a case where I'd rather buy a little extra than wish I has something later.

GoPro Silver (haven't decided on a 3+ or 4 yet)
Extra battery
Headstrap

I looked at these a while back but never bought one. I will shortly now though to use the rest of the season. Tell me the must haves... Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the Hero 4 silver. Make sure you have a good micro SD card. I bought a 64gig. I primarily use the head strap. I also like the wifi remote. It gives you all of the functions of the camera and you can wear it like a watch or put it on a lanyard.

Awesome... good to know. I'll check out the remote and good chance I'll grab one then.

I'm planning to buy a dual charger and an extra battery or two. It sounds like an hour or two is the going rate on the batteries. Do you have an extra battery or two as well?

Thanks dh!

Thanks Steve... so you guys pretty much added a head strap, an extra battery or two, 64 card and you're set to go (along with possibly the remote)?

Thanks Steve... so you guys pretty much added a head strap, an extra battery or two, 64 card and you're set to go (along with possibly the remote)?

The extra batteries are needed if you are doing a very long day of hunting. I have 3 batteries.
64 gig card is what I have as well.

Perfecto guys... thanks!

Planning to grab things so I can start tinker on next Tuesdays hunt. ;)

So... I'm planning to grab at this point now:

4 Silver
Remote (sounds handy, checking out more and likely may get)
2 extra batteries
dual charger
head strap
64gb card

That should set up well.

Then you are going to have to fine the best settings.
I am using the medium field of few. Wide is too fisheyed and you can't see the birds at a distance. Narrow you miss too much of what is going on.

Play with it some and see how it works for you.

That should set up well.

Then you are going to have to fine the best settings.
I am using the medium field of few. Wide is too fisheyed and you can't see the birds at a distance. Narrow you miss too much of what is going on.

Play with it some and see how it works for you.

Thanks! I read most of the old stuff posted here and caught your recommendations and others on settings already. HUGE help to get started. :cool:

I have the Hero 4 silver. Make sure you have a good micro SD card. I bought a 64gig. I primarily use the head strap. I also like the wifi remote. It gives you all of the functions of the camera and you can wear it like a watch or put it on a lanyard.

I'm checking into the remote and see some negative feedback on battery life on the old remote and possibly the new one as well. Have you found battery life to be a little on the short side?

It can be a little short. I make sure to shut it off when not in use and try to remember to plug it in to the truck in between fields. If your wifi is on, the remote will find it and may turn on by itself. To keep this from happening when you are not filming, make sure the wifi on the camera is off.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Here's what's on the way...

Silver 4
head strap
2 extra batteries
double charger
64gb card

I'm going to hang tight on the remote and run a few times without then decide on that later.

Thanks RB! I did check out those cameras a bit too and they look like a very good camera at a pretty good price. But one of the deciding factors for me were the reviews on Amazon. The GoPro had over 1000 reviews and had a VERY high percentage of happy customers. The Muvi had decent reviews but not near what the GoPro's had. I'd love to go with a lesser dollar camera, but this was a case I decided to pay for the brand and go with the best product feedback and history. Good to hear another recommendation for your camera though. I ordered today but will still do a little homework over the weekend to be sure I'm comfy with what I'm getting.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Here's what's on the way...

Silver 4
head strap
2 extra batteries
double charger
64gb card

I'm going to hang tight on the remote and run a few times without then decide on that later.

Ok So Santa brought me the same set up as you ordered. I too have looked through the posts and saw that the medium setting seems to work best.
Any further advice on settings? Going out Tuesday for a two day hunt and have been playing with, but any further advice would be appreciated!
Happy Holidays

:cheers:

Ok So Santa brought me the same set up as you ordered. I too have looked through the posts and saw that the medium setting seems to work best.
Any further advice on settings? Going out Tuesday for a two day hunt and have been playing with, but any further advice would be appreciated!
Happy Holidays

:cheers:

Very cool! I've been running mine mostly on 1020/60/medium/low light on. I tinkered a bit with 720/120/medium and the quality was great with those settings as well. Someone else may jump in and give you a definite of what they like the best but I think you'll be happy with either of those. I haven't tinkered with narrow view but may this week when I'm back out. Have fun and post your vids. ;)

oh btw... a good tip someone else passed on was not running the camera 100% of the time as battery life will drain much quicker. I turn it on when I get to areas I think we have a better chance of finding a bird and every time one of my dogs appear to get birdy.

Below is the last thread I posted a few of my videos in... I've been downloading them to Photobucket. The picture quality goes down a bunch when I put them on PB... but you'll be pleased with what you see on your computer. Others have put theirs on YouTube which keeps the quality better than what I'm doing. At some point I may load a few over there as well. Good luck!
http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20081

Thanks,

The quality settings are helpful as I have been running on 1060-? and it seems to run the battery down fairly fast. oes the resolution setting extend battery life or just less memory? Hopefully can get into some birds tomorrow. I enjoyed your vid's. Nice dog! and good shooting.

:coolpics:

Thanks,

The quality settings are helpful as I have been running on 1060-? and it seems to run the battery down fairly fast. oes the resolution setting extend battery life or just less memory? Hopefully can get into some birds tomorrow. I enjoyed your vid's. Nice dog! and good shooting.

:coolpics:

I don't know the answer to that... I'm assuming the higher quality may drain more battery but I wouldn't think it would be a huge difference. Did you get an extra battery or two? I have 3 total and that's perfect for an entire day for my use. I typically only need to change the battery out once though if I'm starting/stopping as mentioned throughout the day.
Thanks for the compliment on our pup. They are our lapdogs that happen to hunt too... ;) Looking forward to yours! Best wishes!

Back