Faulk County Report

JMD

Hunted private land in Faulk county the 22nd - 25th. Numbers are definitely down but still had a great time actually hunting pheasants rather than just shooting into a sky filled with roosters...All beans were out (at least in our areas) and most of the corn was out (probably 80% out).

Sat - got a late start (12:00ish), hunted with eight guys, four dogs and had 20 - 21 roosters by 5pm - called it a day after a long night of driving to get out there.

Sun - started around 10:30, hunted with three guys, two dogs and had our limit by 3PM!!! Mostly swails out in the middle of some fields. Nice 15-20mph north wind made easy work for the dogs (E-Pointer & my Lab). Roosters were sitting tight and our shooting was actually on - :), that was a nice change!Finishing at 3pm was a great, but made for a long night of :cheers:

Mon - started at 10:00, hunted with three guys, three pointers and had our limit by 5pm. A little tougher hunting, wind was down, temps were up and the roosters seemed to be hanging in the little bit of corn that was left standing. Found most in/around some watering holes, tree lines and finished the day walking some ditches.

Tues - started at 10:00, hunted with four guys, three pointers and it was ROUGH going! Weather was finally getting more like hunting weather (40's, windy, little drizzle);) We hit the swails, trees, ditches, and came up with one rooster by 3pm. Two of us were hitting the road by 4pm so we called it a day. The others stayed and ended up with five roosters for the day.

Like I said, the numbers are down but it's all relative and a 'down' year in SD still beats anything I can get back here in the midwest. Saw a lot of small, young roosters - like the size of a chukkar type small. We refrained from taking any of those but not sure we did them any favors, gonna be a rough winter for them I am afraid. A side note, what was lacking in roosters seemed to be made up in skunks - saw/pointed/smelled probably four or five of them in the four days we hunted, nasty varmints.

Well, sorry for the looong post - hope everyone has a great/safe hunting season!

Back