Christmas hunt

well gentlemen after presence this morning me and the boys went out and we put a hurt on the pheasants with four of us we ended up with our limits in pheasant and 2 persons limit on quail the wind was howling and it was snowing but man what a memorable christmas hunt

Awesome!

Are you seeing any chicken in your area? I would sure like to take a nice lesser here at the ranch for a mount, but the season is just about over.

Congrats on the success GB! That's probably a tough to repeat occurance this year. In my last 4 hunts twice I shot the only bird I moved all day. It's tough, especially on WIHA.

mr byrd we havent seen any chickens this year and PD walk in no way its all about private ground we hit 1 wiha spot and only walked 20 yards before we got into them

Holding out on me again I see!!! Nice job Joe!!! Where was the camera girl?:cheers:

mr byrd we havent seen any chickens this year and PD walk in no way its all about private ground we hit 1 wiha spot and only walked 20 yards before we got into them

At the LEPC meetings that I attended, an unnamed KDWPT biologist said that Gove County had the highest density of LEPC. Gotta know, is he right?

i would say no but i may be wrong blue she is over the camera stage and hamging out with dad i think i was just a phase

xmas hunt

you guys keep getting it wrong, a puss in the bush is worth two in the hand. anyway only got to hunt pheasants a few hours, got my second double of the year and missed one, had snow but not a lot of birds, to break things up i went turkey hunting, on pheasants i seeing maybe 40 birds in a few hour hunt, turkeys are in the hundreds. here are two different birds from the last couple of days, both shot with my 14 ga. someone out there wanted to see a pic. of it, here it is, so much for needing a turkey gun

Last edited:
How many turkeys are you allowed in Kansas? They just raised our fall limit from one bird to two for the fall season. I had a shot on one big flushed tom while pheasant hunting but passed because I was way back from the truck and didn't want to lug him all the way out.

turkey

quail hound, i have been hunting in kansas and depending on the area, you can shoot 4 in the fall and at least 2 in the spring. just to make you feel badly, one flock this year by actual count had 527 birds in it but usually i would see a couple of them at between 250 and 300 birds. two days ago one bunch had 84 mature toms in it, no hens or jakes, that's a lot of birds bucko. kansas has two problems, too many turkey and not enough pheasants

cheers

Doesn't make me feel bad at all. We have a lot of turkeys as well but mainly in the foothills. I don't like when turkeys and pheasants range over lap. Hen turkeys out compete pheasants for prime nesting cover. I'll take a hen turkey over a tom in pheasant country everytime. Spring turkey season is to boring for me, I prefer to take a turkey on the wing flushed by my springers.:cheers:

Why? What is the point?

It's ok KB it doesn't make me feel bad at all, heck I don't even like turkeys. The dogs and I moved probably 150 quail this morning, what do I have to feel bad about?:cheers:

We do have a lot of turkeys here. I have seen several flocks in this winter over 400 birds.

Wish I could convert that many pounds of turkey, into the same weight in quail. :cheers:

It's ok KB it doesn't make me feel bad at all, heck I don't even like turkeys. The dogs and I moved probably 150 quail this morning, what do I have to feel bad about?:cheers:

QH, I know you can handle yourself. I was on a mission to improve upon my people skills. mustistuff interacts with the world differently than I do. I hold nothing against the guy, but I am interested in what makes him tick. Constantly grinding on people, wishing bad feelings on folks, and just trying to get under the skin of another human being in general does nothing for me. I was asking him what the advantage or logic is in being that way. Learning that he means well, he just lacks tact or has a slight case of social ineptitude, may serve me well in dealing with folks like him that I may meet later in life. In person it's incredibly difficult to remain cordial with someone that speaks to folks that way. Once I master this element of communication I'm running for President:rolleyes:

150 quail this morning? Really? Were I a well-healed man, I'd make it to CA soon.

Sorry bout the mess in your thread there Joe.

BTW, Joe, congrats! What a day with the boys:cheers: I planned to give you hell for not posting pics, but I got nothing after dropping the nugget above:rolleyes::D

Last edited:

You should feel bad for not inviting me or KB!!!! LOL!!! Have a great New Year!!

We do have a lot of turkeys here. I have seen several flocks in this winter over 400 birds.

Wish I could convert that many pounds of turkey, into the same weight in quail. :cheers:

NO DOUBT! I strongly prefer quail meat to turkey.

Imagine seeing 400 turkeys' worth of weight in quail distributed across a full section!

pics are overrated and are really for those who have something to prove i myself and others who have hunted with me and the boys now what the truth is about our hunting spots and how well they produce and my phone is shi&&&t and takes pictures acordingly

NO DOUBT! I strongly prefer quail meat to turkey.

Imagine seeing 400 turkeys' worth of weight in quail distributed across a full section!

If the turkeys average 18 lbs and the quail average 6 oz, thats 48 quail per turkey. So we would have 19200 quail. or 30 quail per acre :eek:
I would love to hunt that section :cheers:

Back