Canceling season

I just talked to a guy who said they were canceliing the rest of pheasant season for this year and next year i looked on the KDWP site and didn't find anything to back up his story has anyone heard or read anything about this

I just talked to a guy who said they were canceliing the rest of pheasant season for this year and next year i looked on the KDWP site and didn't find anything to back up his story has anyone heard or read anything about this

My first thought would be NO Flipping Way.
There would be no reason to. Its not like hens are being shot.

I told him he was full of shit but he insists the gamewarden said so and i said well whatever he also said they released 40,000 birds around these counties again also call bullshit

it wouldn't make any sense....proven over the years, closing the season doesn't make any difference......unless you are out there shooting hens.
although the Iowa lawmakers want to start a stocking program instead of a habitat restoration....so you never know??????

if the government would stay on task about the things they know about and leave us alone we sportsmen would get along fine OH WAIT THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO ANYTHING THATS PART OF THE PROBLEM IN TODAYS WORLD

The tourism part of the wildlife and parks would NEVER allow the pheasant season to be closed in this state. They have spent waaaaay to much money advertising for that to happen plus the state needs every last penny that some poor OOS'r may bring in when he comes here to walk around the fields. If they did can you imagine the impact it would have on pheasant hunting in the state for the next few years?

Well they got the license fees anyway. If they admit it's that bad, maybe they could give everybody a $1.00 free pass with a 2012 license next year! Seems fair. Heck their already hatching the eldery for licenses now, after being except before. They could do it for a dollar, if what they say means a way to count participants for their federal dollars, but low and behold they don't!

Didn't I just read a thread here where the research was saying that it is best for the population to shoot as many roosters as possible, especially when the cover it thin?

So why would you reduce the limit?

Steve I've read the same thing. According to the KDWP the hens are the ones that count. One rooster can breed as many hens as he can find (oh the life of a rooster pheasant right up to opening day!).

It's not like a Canada goose in that they mate for life (until one dies then they find another after a period of mourning) or a Mallard drake that gets picked by one hen and that's the one he is with during the mating season.

But, it makes me wonder why some states only allow 2 roosters, some 3 and others 4 per day.

I don't know about the limits of 2,3,4... but KS has had 4 as a limit for as long as I remember, and the only thing that seems to change the bird numbers is the hatch. And cover and weather seem to be the big factors there.

Season is over

ATT25108_zps5e5511a6.jpg
:cheers::cheers:

it wouldn't make any sense....proven over the years, closing the season doesn't make any difference......unless you are out there shooting hens.
although the Iowa lawmakers want to start a stocking program instead of a habitat restoration....so you never know??????

at 14-20K per acre, Iowa cannot afford any kind of habitat restoration on land it has to purchase, and no producer in their right mind, would sign off productive ground to them Productive ground is whatever they can turn black, before the rains set in..

Didnt mean to hijack...

back to your conversation..

Everytime somebody around me says something stupid like that, be it hunting, guns, vehicles, or quantum physics, I ask for them to cite their source. Shuts them up real fast.

I told him he was full of shit but he insists the gamewarden said so and i said well whatever he also said they released 40,000 birds around these counties again also call bullshit

Is it possible people tell you things just for fun, to see your reaction?

looks like alot of horns laying around.do you do your own work?nice looking picture,made me chuckle.
as to different limits,i remember sometime back,that kansas allowed 3 roosters and 1 hen.not for sure when that changed,i am sure that someone on here can help me out.
Guys,this isn't the first time this has happened.we have had bad bird numbers before,and we will have great bird numbers again.The good Lord has ways of taking care of things.
i can remember back in the late 80's,early 90's walking all day just to see 1 bird,then just a few years latter,having to slow the truck down not to drive into a large flock flying across the road.
I do admit,that this years bird numbers seem scary,but it will work itself out.
just think,only 4 and 1/2 mths until turkey season.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Actually, if I recall correctly, in the early sixties there was a time with a limit of five and one could be a hen. Back in the soil bank days. Lots and lots of birds.

Back