Boss shotgun ammunition

That's fair. I didn't mention I'm gonna run the 410.

Just think the 1/2 ounce plus 1 ounce steel is unnecessary recoil. I personally would like to see half and half ounce to make lighter recoil but plenty of pellets. If you need 12 guage shell. But the 410 resurgence with TSS makes so much sense to me.

I liked the idea of HW15 especially with the softer metal, but the price I found was comparable to TSS.

If you buy the HW15 shot from BPI, its actually more expensive than buying TSS from a couple of the specialized tss sellers. I just have it left over so might as well use it up.

I would love to shoot tss in my 410, however my 410 is a tubed 20ga gun and I cant run TSS in that. My next purchase probably needs to be a dedicated 410, then I can move over to TSS for everything out of it.

That's fair. I didn't mention I'm gonna run the 410.

Just think the 1/2 ounce plus 1 ounce steel is unnecessary recoil. I personally would like to see half and half ounce to make lighter recoil but plenty of pellets. If you need 12 guage shell. But the 410 resurgence with TSS makes so much sense to me.

I liked the idea of HW15 especially with the softer metal, but the price I found was comparable to TSS.
I bet the TSS would be wicked good in a 28ga!

Salt Creek has 20 gauge loads for about 1/2 the price…currently out of stock…I’m buying some when available, cut back on strippers that day. I’m buying some…might prefer shooting a slightly heavier gun for purposes of balance, less whippy, etc…I like the 3-4 20’s that I shoot…I like my 28’s as well…$10/shell would wear on me if I was missing! I could live with $5…🥳🍻👍

Federal custom shop has 7/8 oz of TSS #9 shot in a 2 3/4” 28 gauge load for about $9.40/shell….
Yeah you really need to either reload or catch a great year end clearout. 1 ounch of TSS should be around $2.50 raw shot. But even 7/8 ounce #9 is 312 pellets. That's like using a 1 7/8 ounce of lead 5s which anyone would say is extreme overkill on pheasants. Even 3/4 ounce tss is overkill. And that's why I think companies aren't loading them in a good way. Way too expensive and way overkill.

Tss on a pheasant seems like overkill any way you slice it.
In what way? TSS is just about density. That's it. Running 1+ ounces is when it's over kill.

For a good comparison to this thread. My 1/2 ounce #9 tss was $55/box of 25. And it has the same pellets as the Boss (any bismuth) #3 1 1/2 ounce. Boss is ~$45/box of 25. So I am paying more, but I still have more range from tss and recoil is a measly 4lbs vs 40lbs from the bismuth. If you compare to equal lead load, it is harder to justify, but non tox on pheasant is worth the extra price.

Tss on a pheasant seems like overkill any way you slice it.

A gentleman gifted me a box of TSS (12 gauge 8.5 shot) to try out on pheasants. Two things that I came away with -

1. Wickedly lethal
2. I would not buy it or use it ever again as the damage the pellets did to the meat was not something I liked. Countless tiny little pellets that penetrated well into the breasts/thighs/legs.

I killed a lot of pheasants with #2 steel and while I don't know if I necessarily lost any more cripples, I do know that the boss #4 leaves most birds deader.

I bought a box of TSS last spring for turkey hunting. It destroyed a tom at 30 yards. I didn't have time to pattern it before I went hunting with it but I am going to do that before the spring hunt this season. I need to see what kind of range I have with it.

I was previously using Winchester Longbeard XR and my range was 65 yards.

I don't mind paying more for turkey ammo. One shot is all I need (if I'm lucky). Completely different ball game than upland hunting.

A gentleman gifted me a box of TSS (12 gauge 8.5 shot) to try out on pheasants. Two things that I came away with -

1. Wickedly lethal
2. I would not buy it or use it ever again as the damage the pellets did to the meat was not something I liked. Countless tiny little pellets that penetrated well into the breasts/thighs/legs.

I killed a lot of pheasants with #2 steel and while I don't know if I necessarily lost any more cripples, I do know that the boss #4 leaves most birds deader.
This just sounds like you had too high payload in the TSS, which is part of the problem with companies loading them. Although if you want to smack a pheasant from 70+ yards away then that's when pellet count is perfect with TSS 1 ounce. Otherwise I see the best benefit from TSS for upland is in the reduced recoil with just 1/2 to 3/4 ounce.

This just sounds like you had too high payload in the TSS, which is part of the problem with companies loading them. Although if you want to smack a pheasant from 70+ yards away then that's when pellet count is perfect with TSS 1 ounce. Otherwise I see the best benefit from TSS for upland is in the reduced recoil with just 1/2 to 3/4 ounce.
1/2 ounce in a 12 gauge seems like an unusually high amount of filler.

Oh yeah, pure 1/2 ounce tss in 12 gauge doesn't make any sense. And I suppose buying a new gun in subgauge is not something everyone would want to do just to shoot some tss. As KE had said, adding steel makes a lot of sense to then get usable filler. Really just need 1/2 ounce of steel #BB to compare with the TSS#9 in ballistics. Should fill out the cup and would still be better recoil than most other loads. Honestly I might try reloading that one but I'm just beginning all to figure out what I want to try and I think I'll reload the 410 first in pure TSS to make it easier.

Im guessing he had too much choke. It patterns like a rifle, sub 40 yards a cylinder choke should be extremely tight. Mod will take a turkeys head off at 30yd so that should say something...

Patterning it for duck hunting, i can say most guns would be perfect with cyl choke for pheasant hunting. And around 250 or less pellets is ideal, which is 1 1/8 lead 6s, 3/4oz tss 9 or just under 7/8oz of tss 8.5.

Should have been no pellets in the bird with tss 8.5, not unless you shot the bird at 80-85 yards. If there was tss 8.5 in the bird sub 50yd, something is wrong with the shells.. tss 8.5 = lead BB penetration wise.

Its not possible without a duplex with steel shot. But tss is meant for subgauge when wingshooting. If you are shooting a 12ga you might as well shoot a heavy load of bismuth, just a waste of money shooting tss.

20ga is about the maximum bore for upland, as you can buy/load 3/4oz which is about perfect. Apex sells upland 3/4oz shell but I think they stick it in a 3" hull and run it fast for some reason.

28/410 it shines!

Nice to have options. We all drive different cars, hunt with different dog breeds, different shotguns, etc. Why not TSS?
I agree on options, I was just stating my opinion on it. I don't have much desire to pop off 70 yard shots on roosters. It does bring up concerns when group hunting as well. Price is prohibitive for a majority of hunters etc. Lots to consider.

I agree on options, I was just stating my opinion on it. I don't have much desire to pop off 70 yard shots on roosters. It does bring up concerns when group hunting as well. Price is prohibitive for a majority of hunters etc. Lots to consider.

I am only doing it to get 100% passthrough on my birds. Tired of picking shot out of every bird. Like already said, its great to have options. My shells are going to come in at $1.80ea. i couldn't afford a $9 shell.

I have a few boxes of old Federal Tungsten Iron shells left over from my waterfowl days. They were wicked on ducks and geese. I don't think they would be the best for my old LC Smith barrels.

Back