Boss shotgun ammunition

Roy B

Is this ammo worth the price? I have never used it and I don't know anyone that has so I am wondering if it's worth the cost.

For bismuth the consensus is kent and boss are the best brands at the best prices. Hevi-shot for whatever reason is a very untrustworthy brand. Winchester and Federal have both come out with bismuth loads but they are way overpriced. The federal ones they slapped the "meateater" brand on the box and increased the price an ungodly sum, what a joke.

Take a 1-1/4 oz 3" load of steel 2s that's an appropriate pheasant load. With 1-1/4 oz of bismuth 4s in a 2-3/4" hull, your pellet count goes up considerably, and pellet penetration at 50 yds improves. Bismuth is a far superior killer than steel, so for me, it's worth it. Plus, it can be shot safely in all shotguns, regardless of age, choke constriction, religion, or ethnicity, even if you shoot a Franchi or Beretta that thinks it identifies as a Browning.

I shoot Boss and the guys I hunt with all shoot Boss and we love it, none of us have anything bad to say about it. I shoot a 20 & 28 all season on birds and have no issues even late season taking down birds with my 28ga.

I shoot Boss and the guys I hunt with all shoot Boss and we love it, none of us have anything bad to say about it. I shoot a 20 & 28 all season on birds and have no issues even late season taking down birds with my 28ga.
Are you using 3" or 2 3/4" on those late season hunts?

I am going to try # 7 for Grouse. Need to order and pattern them.
I use 7.5s for Ruffed Grouse all the time. Plenty of stopping power for them. Heck I even use 7.5s on pheasant early in the season when they're holding tight. Sometimes even later in the year too. A good pointer and 7.5s is all you need when they're getting up close.

That seems small, but what do I know? Never hunted grouse in my life. With bismuth, go 1 shot size bigger than you would with lead. With steel, go 3 shot sizes bigger than you would with lead.
A-5, Well you are missing out then. Extremely challenging, and great eating.

I inherited a Browning A5 12 guage from my late gramps; the gun was manufactured in the early 50's so I can not use modern steel. Finding 2 3/4" bismuth locally is a challenge, so I've tried boss, kent, and hevi-shot. I use #5's for pheasant and late season field mallards and it works great. Boss and hevishot have provided consistent results for me so far. I've had one issue with kent so far where the primer never went off, so I stopped pursing them. Hevishot was a tad cheaper than boss per shell the last time i ordered a few weeks ago.

That seems small, but what do I know? Never hunted grouse in my life. With bismuth, go 1 shot size bigger than you would with lead. With steel, go 3 shot sizes bigger than you would with lead.
If a pellet flies by a grouse they fold, doesn't take much to bring a grouse down. I shoot 7.5 or 8's.

When I hunted, ALWAYS used copper plated 6's. Usually Federal, used them day 1 and last day, and all days in-between. Never, ever did I have any problems.

Back