American Lab vs. English Lab

You have the right to buy dogs from any breeder you choose.
However I find it irresponsible to promote buying from breeders that don't do recommended and widely accepted health testing. The only reason to skip testing is to save a couple bucks. It's not like the test is risky or painful...... it's a couple of x rays and $200ish. Many buyers are not going to research (or even know how to) the pedigree of a perspective pup.

If a breeder doesn't test for the usual breed specific "problems". Run away fast as they are only in it to make a buck. I hate when money trumps improving the breed.

Rancho go ahead a flame away at me. I stand behind my statement 100%

Sorry for going off topic, I didn't want to hijack the thread but I couldn't let an irresponble statement go unchecked.

Steve

You are better off just to ignore his nonsense.

There are greater differences in individual lines of Labradors than in supposed nationality of those lines. Find a line of dogs you like from someone you know who owns one you like and buy a pup from those lines (try your local Hunt Test or Field Trial club). Even then there can be pretty stark differences in attitude and sometime ability between littermates.

How will your wife know if the lab you are getting is American or British? If you find one you like and it's not British, just don't tell her.

If you are dead set on a British dog (and I'm not judging, I was when I first bought a lab), there are a couple kennels that are nearly universally praised and recommended. Double TT is one of them. I bought a dog from Double TT about 4 years ago, and that dog was so close what is usually advertised with British labs that I did not consider another Labrador breeder when I bought a second pup.

Last edited:
David0311

However I find it irresponsible to promote buying from breeders that don't do recommended and widely accepted health testing. The only reason to skip testing is to save a couple bucks. It's not like the test is risky or painful...... it's a couple of x rays and $200ish. Many buyers are not going to research (or even know how to) the pedigree of a perspective pup.

If a breeder doesn't test for the usual breed specific "problems". Run away fast as they are only in it to make a buck. I hate when money trumps improving the breed.

Sorry for going off topic, I didn't want to hijack the thread but I couldn't let an
irresponble statement go unchecked.

Steve

X-10

Steve--thanks for that reply---saved my a lot of typing

David0311

Your right, that's one thing you never see, a huge old lab, just barely limping along. I should start to video them, I see them daily.

Like I mentioned before, I suspect that an 8 mile dirt bike run at 6k feet would expose they aren't in the kind of shape you think.

Yep --running a dog 8 miles a day--behind a dirt bike-(or so you say) would be really good for their hips--(or do they just nug along--opp's sorry wrong thread-)

Do you make this run (where you run into the mountain lions-badgers all the time-- oop's wrong thread again :rolleyes:)on your way to the dog park where you see all these crippled up dogs?

British Labs

Aye Mates,
Here's me own British Lab out o' DOUBLE TT BRITISH LABRADOR KENNELS.:thumbsup: BIRD DRIVEN, HUNT AND HUNT TEST PROVEN, AND AN ABSOLUTE JOY AS A COMPANION RETRIEVER. I have had him tested for OFA Certification of hips and elbows, CERF, EIC, CNM and Brucellosis, and all being completed recently studed him to another very nice British female.

The retrievers produced through the selective breeding program of Haynes and Colleen Floyd are superb.👌

Cheers,
Irishwhistler ☘️

HR TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH

Sorry for going off topic, I didn't want to hijack the thread but I couldn't let an irresponble statement go unchecked.

Steve

And I find it responsible to promote world-class breeders like Glenwood Kennels. You know not of what you speak. If you have documented generations of world class dogs devoid of health issues, it's a waste of money, because there is no problem, if a problem arose, my breeder would first be horrified, then she would buy my dog back.

I know nothing of pedigrees, but I am not a fool, I am a simple man. A simple man gets in the truck, drives to the kennel, checks out its condition, the condition of the breeding stock ( I do know what a world-class spaniel looks like, at a glance), the condition of the pups, and the breeders willingness to allow this inspection. Armed with this info I can tell you if I would consider buying a dog from that breeder.

BTW, if you want to look at pedigrees, search "Glenwood Kennel", check their posted pedigrees, then educate me about the quality of their dogs. For instance, if my dog has the 1983 UK National Champ in her bloodlines, is that a good thing?

You aristocrat types think you are soooo smart, I beg to differ. A dog is a dog and I know them well.

Yep --running a dog 8 miles a day--behind a dirt bike-(or so you say) would be really good for their hips--(or do they just nug along--opp's sorry wrong thread-)

Do you make this run (where you run into the mountain lions-badgers all the time-- oop's wrong thread again :rolleyes:)on your way to the dog park where you see all these crippled up dogs?

Been doing it for years, my last two dogs were still hunting in their fifteenth year of life. No running a dog does not hurt them a bit.

And yes.

Been doing it for years, my last two dogs were still hunting in their fifteenth year of life (albeit at a much slower pace). No running a dog does not hurt them a bit.

If you think that running dogs is bad for them, do the right thing, join PETA and let's put those nasty sled dog mushers out of business.

And yes.

I can vouch for the quality of Double TT labs. My one year old BLM is absolutely incredible. He is a hunting dog if there ever was one, and is an excellent house pet too. He is everything the website says he would be. We're fixing to get another Double TT pup in a couple of months. You can't go wrong with a dog from Haynes Floyd. If you go the Double TT route, I can guarantee you that you'll have a relationship that you will cherish for years.

I have a double tt lab. 9 years old developed severe issues with back legs over the last 6 months and also had issues with right shoulder on and off since 4 years old. Great dog, great hunter, but wish I could have gotten a few more years out of her. :( House dog now.

Could be just luck of the draw and I still would get another lab from same double tt kennel just because of the ability and temperament of the dog.

American vs. British Lab

Aye Mates,
I have complete faith in Haynes and Colleen Floyd and their breeding program at DOUBLE TT Kennels. I have trained, hunted and hunt tested with Labs for o'er 35 years and I highly recommend the pups from DOUBLE TT. The health clearances on breed stock are documented and totally available for perspective buyers of pup resulting from said breedings. I have repeatedly recommended DOUBLE TT to a number of folks that have been exceedingly pleased.

View attachment 7402
Here is my gun dog HR TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH from a HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN MH x FTW LEAWYN LAINEE TARA BREEDING in 2013.

View attachment 7403
Here is ALLIE MAE, a pup out of a breeding of HR TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH x TTF BIRCH BRANCH MAGGIE. This wee lass now just nearly 5 months old has been amazing to work with and is going to be one incredible gun dog. Full health clearances were done on sire and dam prior to this breeding with regard to hips, elbows, eyes, EIC, and CNM. ALLIE is going to be a pup to keep any eye on.👌

I have already received multiple inquiries as to when a repeat breeding might be done.:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Irishwhistler

UPDATE:

I ended up moving away from Labs and ended up getting a Pudelpointer. I was 10 months on various lists (very difficult dog to get), and finally got the call a few months ago.

If I was to get another Lab it would be a Double TT lab. But I wanted to try a Versatile breed that is super smart, points, tracks fur, and also a great duck dog and hopefully have a shot better luck with long term dog health. Would love to get 10 -12 years of solid hunting out of this dog as it could be my last.

UPDATE:

I ended up moving away from Labs and ended up getting a Pudelpointer. I was 10 months on various lists (very difficult dog to get), and finally got the call a few months ago.

If I was to get another Lab it would be a Double TT lab. But I wanted to try a Versatile breed that is super smart, points, tracks fur, and also a great duck dog and hopefully have a shot better luck with long term dog health. Would love to get 10 -12 years of solid hunting out of this dog as it could be my last.

Hey Pheasant, my first and current 8 year old lab is a brittish lab, i was toying with the idea of going to a pudelpointer for our 2nd dog, but the cost is whats kind of holding me back, along with it being a pointer in MN on a late season hunt in cattails doesnt seem like they would work too well? i dont know what to do, now i'm thinking back to another british lab and all of the hair it sheds :D

Hey Pheasant, my first and current 8 year old lab is a brittish lab, i was toying with the idea of going to a pudelpointer for our 2nd dog, but the cost is whats kind of holding me back, along with it being a pointer in MN on a late season hunt in cattails doesnt seem like they would work too well? i dont know what to do, now i'm thinking back to another british lab and all of the hair it sheds :D

This is my first "Pointer" but the Pudelpointer is a Versatile breed, so if it is retrieving ducks in those cattails it will be as good or better than a lab - they are supposed to have a phenomenal nose - but I am not "Expert" on the breed yet but like what I see so far. The minimum shedding was a big selling point with the wife and I am tired of 10 years of complaints about all the shedding in the house with current lab.

As far as price, I paid $1000 - $1200??? for my lab 10 years ago - the PP was $1800 but I think I overpaid a bit because I was tired of waiting. The biggest issue is finding a breeder that has one to sell to you. The lists are long my friend.

I have them both British lab 4 years old great hunter excellent pet
Paid 1400 for lab .I have pudelpointer that is 1 1\2 years old paid 1600
Both are great dogs but totally different hunting and as a pet.
The PP is very smart and a bit stubborn good pet not like lab
As far as all-around P P is the best faster i n water than lab unbelievable
Hunting drive this dog swims under water like a fish.PP born to hunt
Taking them to N Dakota this Monday .I can not hunt them together
Because PP loves to retrieve also she will steal labs birds.They do not respect each other's birds ha ha.I still love my lab

who cares what you pay for them they are worth every penny both
Dogs.If I wanted pet first hunter second i would go with a lab.If l wanted hunter first pet second I would go with PP.
I have the best of both worlds in my opinion

who cares what you pay for them they are worth every penny both
Dogs.If I wanted pet first hunter second i would go with a lab.If l wanted hunter first pet second I would go with PP.
I have the best of both worlds in my opinion

My English lab has been an amazing house dog from 12 weeks on - never a problem and very calm. Before arthritis set in, he was a strong methodical hunter, great at all retrieves, and natural very soft mouth. Very easy to train. My only knock is he was a bit to passive in the field.

Before the English lab I had and American lab, she was much more of a handful in the house until 2 years old. Chewed off my window sills when I trusted her in the house for about an hour uncrated at 14 months. Was very driven hunter and was also easy to train and was doing retrieve drills and basic left right back handling when she was 14 - 16 weeks to the amazement of people who happened by and watched. She also could catch a frisbee with some amazing athletic skills. Current English lab would jog after frisbie, let it drop then do a perfect retrieve. (I bring up frisbie because if you can teach your dog to play frisbie, it is a great way to exercise and tire them out quickly without having to do an hour walk!)

Pudelpointer so far is more like the American lab in the house. Fast learner, knows right from wrong but buzzing with energy multiple times throughout the day. Also, much more vocal than my labs. Will bark at me when he wants something or just playing - my labs hardly ever barked. Sometimes I just want to relax and this is impossible until I do a big feeding and walk and then I get a 3 hour break. I can tell you, I have been getting record daily steps in during the 6 weeks I have had this dog. It is early, but I can tell just from the way he is already play hunting in the woods and fields he will be a fine hunting dog. Retrieve drive seems good but not as strong as my labs IIRC. Slowly doing a few retrieve per day and getting much better. Yesterday I tossed a tennis ball in the house a few times, once it bounced around and ended up under a bar stool. He went into a 15 second point on the tennis ball then did a pounce on it which was pretty cool to see.

I think bottom line, every dog is different and my sample of dogs is very small.

Back