American Lab vs. English Lab

NC IA Tail Chaser

I am interested in hearing your views about the two different types of Labrador retrievers. I own and hunt an American bred lab and she was easy to train, has good hunting instincts, finds & retrieves very well, has lots of stamina and is great family dog.

I am asking because my better half is looking at an English bred lab. I would assume that they have about the same train ability , retrieve well but I am wondering if there is a big difference in hunting ability, and stamina. They look to be a little shorter heavier boned and more round muscled than my lab.

Any information would be helpful.

I assume you mean a British lab. British labs tend to be a little smaller and some lines have good looks and some do not just like the American bred labs. I would put more stock in the breeder and their program over a "british vs american" thing. If you want a more honest opinion post the particular pedigree on the dog in question and I can give you more. My labs are american bred and my male looks like Charles Atlas so there goes the theory on british being more muscled. If your dog is what you describe why would you consider anything else? Does the dog your "Better Half" is considering come from titled parents with OFA hips and elbows, Eye Cerf, EIC, and CNM clearances? Those are the most important factors. British breeders will tell you their dogs are superior and vice versa for the field trial bred dogs.

American Lab vs. English Lab Reply to Thread

Well the better half and my son seem to like the British labs for some reason. The kennel claims the following certifications: OFA Hip and Elbow Certification -Hips: Excellent - Elbows: Normal -CERF: Clean.

Wife & son are more interested in having a family dog than a hunting dog. I was just wondering because I am sure I will have to see what it can do hunting. I did finally look at the website and both stud and bitch look nice but it appears that they may be bred more for show than hunting dog.

You are probably right to put more stock in the breeder and breeding than the whole British vs. American thing.

Well the better half and my son seem to like the British labs for some reason. The kennel claims the following certifications: OFA Hip and Elbow Certification -Hips: Excellent - Elbows: Normal -CERF: Clean.

Wife & son are more interested in having a family dog than a hunting dog. I was just wondering because I am sure I will have to see what it can do hunting. I did finally look at the website and both stud and bitch look nice but it appears that they may be bred more for show than hunting dog.

You are probably right to put more stock in the breeder and breeding than the whole British vs. American thing.

That is kinda what I thought. When a breeder claims "English" it is usually a show dog breeding. If a breeder claims "British" it is generally hunting lines. Sorry but I thought all hunting dogs were family dogs, at least they should be. If your "better half" is serious about a british bred dog then check out this site, you might not find better and it is located about an hour from me. http://www.britlabs.com/

My goodness....this is a topic that has the potential to bring out the lawn chairs and popcorn.

Sent you a PM.

Only on the retriever training forum. I actually really like some of the British lines. You can get a great dog from either type. Most important is that the breeder is breeding for the right traits with health clearances.

http://www.britlabs.com/ again check this out.

My son actually has a yellow Lab bitch from Double TT. Family dog (he has two youngsters) and hunting dog.

This pic was taken in SD this hunting season (at sundown). All of these Labs are UK line and all from hunting stock. The marks under the eyes of the yellow bitch in the middle are scabs; she wore all the hair off under her eyes poking into the brush and grasses over the 10 days. Kinda has that raccoon bandit look, eh?

The Double TT britlab is the bitch on the left. She's just a shade over two years old in that pic. She is on the small side (as we like them), she is absolutely tireless and has a very good nose. My one gripe is that he has let her run a bit wide for my taste. I like them to range pretty close. I worked with her on the hunt and things did improve a bit. Good dog though.

PB071091_zpszbne5lzz.jpg

My son actually has a yellow Lab bitch from Double TT. Family dog (he has two youngsters) and hunting dog.

This pic was taken in SD this hunting season (at sundown). All of these Labs are UK line and all from hunting stock. The marks under the eyes of the yellow bitch in the middle are scabs; she wore all the hair off under her eyes poking into the brush and grasses over the 10 days. Kinda has that raccoon bandit look, eh?

The Double TT britlab is the bitch on the left. She's just a shade over two years old in that pic. She is on the small side (as we like them), she is absolutely tireless and has a very good nose. My one gripe is that he has let her run a bit wide for my taste. I like them to range pretty close. I worked with her on the hunt and things did improve a bit. Good dog though.

PB071091_zpszbne5lzz.jpg

Nice looking dogs. I like em a little smaller but my male is 91 lbs with ribs showing. My female is 52 lbs.

My vet sees a lot of orthopedic issues on the large labs, even when they have all the guarantees, they don't age well. I don't hunt with Labs much, but there are simply hundreds of them in my area. There is always a half-dozen ads in the paper. I never go to the dog park without seeing several. The variation is stunning. I would stay away from the large-boned, oversize Labs, regardless of bloodlines, which I know nothing about.

Only on the retriever training forum. I actually really like some of the British lines. You can get a great dog from either type. Most important is that the breeder is breeding for the right traits with health clearances.

http://www.britlabs.com/ again check this out.

My son got a Lab from TT Kennels. I've spent a lot of time w/ the dog both in the house & in the field. He's the only "British Lab" I've worked with personally but he's really a remarkable dog. Incredibly mellow & obedient in the house but hunts pheasants like they owe him money!

Weighs 65 lbs with an excellent nose & total desire to please. I've owned 4 American field bred labs. One had more talent than my son's dog but he was a PITA to hunt with on a slow day.

As mentioned elsewhere, if a breeder is advertising "English Labs", they're selling heavy boned show dogs. They aren't bred to be hunting dogs any more than a German Shepard. You'd have a better chance getting a rescue that looks like a Lab.

My vet sees a lot of orthopedic issues on the large labs, even when they have all the guarantees, they don't age well. I don't hunt with Labs much, but there are simply hundreds of them in my area. There is always a half-dozen ads in the paper. I never go to the dog park without seeing several. The variation is stunning. I would stay away from the large-boned, oversize Labs, regardless of bloodlines, which I know nothing about.

My 95 lb lab says otherwise! So does his big sire and grand sire. And his large dam!

That Double TT bitch is 52 lbs.

The 11 year old next to her is about 78 right now but she has an injured left elbow that has seriously and permanently restricted her exercise/hunting. In full working trim she was about 72.

The young UK bitch next to her is a bit large boned to my liking and she's running 74 right now but all muscle. I didn't expect her to be as big overall considering the size of her sire and dam.

The black male is about the same size as the young yellow next to him overall; small for a male and he's at 75.

The 12 year old chocolate is a small dog, pretty much the same size as the TT bitch. The chocolate weighs 54.

Dysplasia is primarily genetics, not size. Unfortunately, I am coming around to the view that OFA is not necessarily the best test. I am kind of leaning towards PennHip as a more reliable indicator.

Dysplasia is primarily genetics, not size. Unfortunately, I am coming around to the view that OFA is not necessarily the best test. I am kind of leaning towards PennHip as a more reliable indicator.

100% agree!

I had penhip done on at 6 months as well as ofa. I had to do both per my health contract with the breeder. The vet said he felt the penhip was a better test in his opinion.

My 95 lb lab says otherwise! So does his big sire and grand sire. And his large dam!

Your right, that's one thing you never see, a huge old lab, just barely limping along. I should start to video them, I see them daily.

Like I mentioned before, I suspect that an 8 mile dirt bike run at 6k feet would expose they aren't in the kind of shape you think.

Last edited:
I had penhip done on at 6 months as well as ofa. I had to do both per my health contract with the breeder. The vet said he felt the penhip was a better test in his opinion.

My breeder doesn't even test hips, I don't even care about a piece of paper. what I care about, is that there is no history of serious genetic defects going back several generations. That's where I trust my breeder to do the right thing, choose her breeding stock wisely, then guarantee the overall health of the dog, which she does. If the genetics are chosen carefully, the dogs are not bred until mature, and by people who know what they are doing, the piece of paper is irrelevant.

Labs

I have a British lab 65 lbs and is a great house pet and when we go hunting
She has a great prey drive.My only problem when she was a pup was keeping her close.Now at 2.5 years old she is a great hunting companion.i could not ask for a better dog.i live in CA so wild bird hunting limited.i have hunted her each of last two years for 10 days in the Dakotas.For hunting wild birds only 10 days a year she is great, all that I can expect.
I got her from know breeder of chocolates only and known for working dogs .
I was more interested in 4 or five generations of no defects.Also got a limited
AKA registeration, they don't want me to breed her.
I love this dog

My breeder doesn't even test hips, I don't even care about a piece of paper. what I care about, is that there is no history of serious genetic defects going back several generations. That's where I trust my breeder to do the right thing, choose her breeding stock wisely, then guarantee the overall health of the dog, which she does. If the genetics are chosen carefully, the dogs are not bred until mature, and by people who know what they are doing, the piece of paper is irrelevant.

You have the right to buy dogs from any breeder you choose.
However I find it irresponsible to promote buying from breeders that don't do recommended and widely accepted health testing. The only reason to skip testing is to save a couple bucks. It's not like the test is risky or painful...... it's a couple of x rays and $200ish. Many buyers are not going to research (or even know how to) the pedigree of a perspective pup.

If a breeder doesn't test for the usual breed specific "problems". Run away fast as they are only in it to make a buck. I hate when money trumps improving the breed.

Rancho go ahead a flame away at me. I stand behind my statement 100%

Sorry for going off topic, I didn't want to hijack the thread but I couldn't let an irresponble statement go unchecked.

Steve

Back