A few observations from SD

That photo of the two roosters flushing is really a good one, just beautiful

I think a big help nationwide for wildlife would be to repeal the requirement to mix ethanol in gasoline

Let that industry make it or die without tax subsidies and eliminate the tariff on foreign ethanol

Ethanol for the phony global warming issue has been a boondoggle and even the greenies have realized it was a mistake. It’s been very hard on
Habitat

That photo of the two roosters flushing is really a good one, just beautiful

I think a big help nationwide for wildlife would be to repeal the requirement to mix ethanol in gasoline

Let that industry make it or die without tax subsidies and eliminate the tariff on foreign ethanol

Ethanol for the phony global warming issue has been a boondoggle and even the greenies have realized it was a mistake. It’s been very hard on
Habitat

Might be beneficial for you to keep that opinion to yourself in South Dakota.

Bobman is right...ethanol as an alternate fuel is a joke. How is it that these same farmers functioned in the days prior to that stupid program??? Bring back the days of rotating crops and keeping hedgerow strips between fields. Not sure how to fix all of this government dependency stuff. All the chemical use hasn't helped matters either. We "advance" technology to make this grow faster, bigger, tastier whatever but don't think of the consequences.

From a "green" perspective ... Sierra Club is certainly there. Here is their take (2016).

About 35 percent of the U.S. corn crop, or around 50,000 square miles of our cornfields, is devoted to ethanol production, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Two-thirds of this corn goes straight into ethanol, while the remainder (distillers grain) is fed to livestock.

Is ethanol's vast need for prime farmland a sensible deal? We produce 14.3 billion gallons of it a year, or the energy equivalent of roughly 10 billion gallons of gasoline. (Ethanol has less energy than gasoline.) But since producing ethanol requires so much energy, we're down to the equivalent of around 5 billion gallons' worth of gasoline.

Ethanol was pushed as a virtuous alternative and a renewable fuel, but the land it requires—as well as the fact that until 2012 petroleum companies got a 45-cent tax credit per gallon of ethanol blended into their fuel (and they are still required to blend it with their gasoline)—makes it not so laudable. The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) estimated that this subsidy cost the U.S. government $5.7 billion in revenue in 2011 alone. Corn growers, some of them agribusiness giants, benefit from this arrangement as well. Before ethanol took off, corn acreage was below 80 million; it has reached as high as 95 million.

So this political, technical, economic, and agricultural machinery begins to look like a bizarre contrivance dreamed up by Rube Goldberg. The fuel that ethanol replaces could be matched by requiring slightly better fuel efficiency. Or, as the GAO notes, reducing the speed limit to 55 miles per hour could save as much gasoline as the ethanol brewed to replace it. (The Sierra Club is opposed to further deployment of corn ethanol.)

From a "green" perspective ... Sierra Club is certainly there. Here is their take (2016).

In farm country quoting the Sierra Club would maybe be a little worse than knocking ethanol.

Just trying to help.

I don’t care to run the debate any further.

Trump has alienated the farmers with the soybean tariff issued by China.......he just endorsed a year round ethanol quota at a rally in Iowa a few weeks ago. there will be more corn grown ethanol next year and going forward.....CRP is a subsidy no longer needed. as the government sees it now.

Practically without exception, whenever the gov't involves itself in something whose sole purpose is something other than those listed in the Preamble to the Constitution, it fails in some respect. It's just impossible to please everyone. Do I like ethanol? Yes and no. Do I like CRP? Yes and no. And the list goes on. (In a perfect world, the first question they'd ask about any program would be how does it affect pheasants?)

Picture from yesterday. Area we were in birds were up for sure from
Last 2 years. Hopefully the rest of the week continues the same.

294qe5y.jpg

Awesome picture Matt. Can't wait to make my own. Glad you are finding the birds. sjohn

Went out and hunted a few days last week, here's my observations.

Day One: Hunted Public land by myself and my dog within a 60 mile radius of Mitchell. Started hunting about 1:00 on a piece of land I did well on last year. Only saw 1 rooster and got him. 2-4:00 was a lot of driving and a little walking as a tried finding new ground. I just wasn't coming across much of what I like (corn, cattails, tree line, prairie, different types of grass, water all within a half mile or so of each other), just a lot of public land surrounded by cattle pastures and not much else. Found a new piece at 4:00 and got my final 2 roosters by 4:30. Lots of birds in this spot. Got back to the truck and sat on the tailgate with the dog until it got dark, just enjoying the sunset and hearing all the cackles around me.

Day Two: Hunted private land with a group of 5 and 2 dogs, about 20 miles from Platte. We got 12 and certainly had our chances for our 15. Most birds were shot out of walking tree lines and shelter belts, not a lot in the prairie. It was also very windy, so that may have made a difference.

Day Three: Hunted public land with a group of 7 and 4 dogs within a 90 mile radius of Mitchell. I never have high hopes on public with large groups. I think public birds are smart and when I hunt them myself I usually do okay but really make sure not to talk with my dog, slam car doors, or hit the lock button on my car's remote to sound the hound 2 times... Large groups in public is just too loud when you enter, too much talking while walking, too many people yelling at dogs. We got 4 for the day, and should have just split up into smaller groups so each group had a dog. In a large cattail area we saw one of the bigger bird flushes I've ever seen on public land about 200 yards ahead of us. Must have been about 300 birds that got up over 3 minute time span as we entered the area.

Day Four: I did not hunt this day, but a group of 7 got 17 on private land.

Overall: If you are a group of 1-2, maybe even 3, with a good dog, you can reasonably expect to get your limit of roosters on public land with a full days work and putting all your effort into it (meaning you are an individual that is in shape and has no problem walking 10am to sunset while high kneeing it through thick grass). If you drive slow and road hunt the final 90 minutes of the day, you could also see some birds. Overall bird numbers are fine. Sure you won't limit by noon, but you can still have a good time and enjoy your trip. Not many birds relating to cattails yet, but a fair amount in the grass next to them. Look for grass, tree lines, shelter belts, harvested corn, cattails, water, and you'll find birds somewhere in the area.

One other thing to note. Between 5 years of living in SD and 6 years of going back to hunt every year, I ran into the GFP for the first time ever. Started off as not a big deal, checking shells and licenses. Then started calling each member of our group into his truck one on one. Turns out 4 guys in our group unknowingly left public land for a tiny bit and they all got trespassing tickets. They walked inside the public land heading north and planned on heading west when they got to the boundary sign. The piece of public land wasn't a square section, and they knew it didn't go all the way to the road. As they got closer to the road, they realized something must be up because according to the map the public land should have ended by now, but they never saw a boundary sign or fence line or anything. They then turned around and heading back south a ways then west towards the parking lot. They got back to the parking lot with GFP waiting, and all got issued trespassing tickets and fines.

They did not knowingly trespass, and turned around once they started realizing the public land shouldn't be going this far north. There was no sign. GFP said there does not need to be signs and each hunter should have GPS on their phone and know the boundaries from that. Really wasn't a very pleasant situation. You got 4 guys who are trying to do the right thing who get tickets. You get who knows how many people who knowingly go onto private land to chase a bird who get nothing. One thing we asked was that the $500 the state made off of their fines that day, that the money goes directly towards signs or a fence on the north part of this public land. The GFP response, "I might bring it up to my supervisor." It also took him 2.5 hours to write the 4 tickets, who knows why it took so long.

Moral of the story, while we thought we were being safe and following rules, and studied the property in the public land book, we still violated the rules. And since we took the time to study the map, the guys knew the property didn't go all the way to the road which is why they turned around as they kept getting closer and closer to the road and still no boundary sign they could see.

What a depressing ending to a very informative hunting story - thanks!

Now we're supposed to carry a phone with boundaries? Wonder if it's worth contesting the fines due to poor signage?

What a depressing ending to a very informative hunting story - thanks!

Now we're supposed to carry a phone with boundaries? Wonder if it's worth contesting the fines due to poor signage?

Some guys debated about adjusting the dates of their return trip to line up with the court date. But otherwise you'll end up spending more traveling out there than the hundred something dollar fine. I have little doubt that if they showed up to the court date they'd get it dropped. I didn't get one, so I don't know the specifics. Not sure what it does on your record either, if its similar to a speeding ticket or if it's actually like a misdemeanor or something since it was trespassing. Tough situation, guys trying to do the right thing.

Nice report. Sounds like you had moderate success & I agree w/ your assessments, especially about being extra quiet on public land. It’s a must.

That sucks about the trespassing. There’s plenty of public land that’s not well marked, so you really have to do what you can to keep track of where you are. Sometimes it’s nearly impossible. Obviously this warden had been glassing you, so he should’ve been able to tell, based on what he saw & the guys’ explanations, what was transpiring & that it was more than likely inadvertent (not that that makes it OK). A reasonable person, then, wouldn’t issue tickets. Sounds like this guy, with his comment about each hunter having a GPS, must’ve had an axe to grind. My guess is that normally if this same situation occurred, most guys wouldn’t issue tickets unless a landowner called to complain about it. Then he’s pretty much obligated.

If this happened either Saturday or Sunday, you could blame your misfortune on deer hunters. They were out in full force & my experience has been that rifle deer season makes game wardens really edgy.

I hunt public land 20-25 times a year & most years don’t get checked by a game warden. This year I’ve been checked twice already. However, never once have I had my shells checked.

Day One: Hunted Public land by myself and my dog within a 60 mile radius of Mitchell. Started hunting about 1:00 on a piece of land I did well on last year. Only saw 1 rooster and got him. 2-4:00 was a lot of driving and a little walking as a tried finding new ground. I just wasn't coming across much of what I like (corn, cattails, tree line, prairie, different types of grass, water all within a half mile or so of each other), just a lot of public land surrounded by cattle pastures and not much else. Found a new piece at 4:00 and got my final 2 roosters by 4:30. Lots of birds in this spot. Got back to the truck and sat on the tailgate with the dog until it got dark, just enjoying the sunset and hearing all the cackles around me.

Day Two: Hunted private land with a group of 5 and 2 dogs, about 20 miles from Platte. We got 12 and certainly had our chances for our 15. Most birds were shot out of walking tree lines and shelter belts, not a lot in the prairie. It was also very windy, so that may have made a difference.

Day Three: Hunted public land with a group of 7 and 4 dogs within a 90 mile radius of Mitchell. I never have high hopes on public with large groups. I think public birds are smart and when I hunt them myself I usually do okay but really make sure not to talk with my dog, slam car doors, or hit the lock button on my car's remote to sound the hound 2 times... Large groups in public is just too loud when you enter, too much talking while walking, too many people yelling at dogs. We got 4 for the day, and should have just split up into smaller groups so each group had a dog. In a large cattail area we saw one of the bigger bird flushes I've ever seen on public land about 200 yards ahead of us. Must have been about 300 birds that got up over 3 minute time span as we entered the area.

Day Four: I did not hunt this day, but a group of 7 got 17 on private land.

Overall: If you are a group of 1-2, maybe even 3, with a good dog, you can reasonably expect to get your limit of roosters on public land with a full days work and putting all your effort into it (meaning you are an individual that is in shape and has no problem walking 10am to sunset while high kneeing it through thick grass). If you drive slow and road hunt the final 90 minutes of the day, you could also see some birds. Overall bird numbers are fine. Sure you won't limit by noon, but you can still have a good time and enjoy your trip. Not many birds relating to cattails yet, but a fair amount in the grass next to them. Look for grass, tree lines, shelter belts, harvested corn, cattails, water, and you'll find birds somewhere in the area.

One other thing to note. Between 5 years of living in SD and 6 years of going back to hunt every year, I ran into the GFP for the first time ever. Started off as not a big deal, checking shells and licenses. Then started calling each member of our group into his truck one on one. Turns out 4 guys in our group unknowingly left public land for a tiny bit and they all got trespassing tickets. They walked inside the public land heading north and planned on heading west when they got to the boundary sign. The piece of public land wasn't a square section, and they knew it didn't go all the way to the road. As they got closer to the road, they realized something must be up because according to the map the public land should have ended by now, but they never saw a boundary sign or fence line or anything. They then turned around and heading back south a ways then west towards the parking lot. They got back to the parking lot with GFP waiting, and all got issued trespassing tickets and fines.

They did not knowingly trespass, and turned around once they started realizing the public land shouldn't be going this far north. There was no sign. GFP said there does not need to be signs and each hunter should have GPS on their phone and know the boundaries from that. Really wasn't a very pleasant situation. You got 4 guys who are trying to do the right thing who get tickets. You get who knows how many people who knowingly go onto private land to chase a bird who get nothing. One thing we asked was that the $500 the state made off of their fines that day, that the money goes directly towards signs or a fence on the north part of this public land. The GFP response, "I might bring it up to my supervisor." It also took him 2.5 hours to write the 4 tickets, who knows why it took so long.

Moral of the story, while we thought we were being safe and following rules, and studied the property in the public land book, we still violated the rules. And since we took the time to study the map, the guys knew the property didn't go all the way to the road which is why they turned around as they kept getting closer and closer to the road and still no boundary sign they could see.

well, that goes to show you, there are some chickenshit game wardens everywhere.......probably lost the state some future revenue to prove a point.....trespass with intent is a different story.

Sometimes it’s nearly impossible. Obviously this warden had been glassing you, so he should’ve been able to tell, based on what he saw & the guys’ explanations, what was transpiring & that it was more than likely inadvertent (not that that makes it OK). A reasonable person, then, wouldn’t issue tickets. Sounds like this guy, with his comment about each hunter having a GPS, must’ve had an axe to grind. My guess is that normally if this same situation occurred, most guys wouldn’t issue tickets unless a landowner called to complain about it. Then he’s pretty much obligated

Warden said a nearby landowner called him and specifically requested they get a ticket.

Back