A few observations from SD

Congrats Kansan!
No better way to finish a tough trip!!

There sure isn’t. They finally did like they’re supposed to, and flushed right under my lab’s nose. Regardless of the number of birds we shoot, I absolutely love coming up to South Dakota and following my dog through the prairie. Wonderful people, and a wonderful state. Kansas pheasant and quail opens next weekend, hopefully I can shoot a few back home. Good luck to all hunting SD!

There sure isnÂ’t. They finally did like theyÂ’re supposed to, and flushed right under my labÂ’s nose. Regardless of the number of birds we shoot, I absolutely love coming up to South Dakota and following my dog through the prairie. Wonderful people, and a wonderful state. Kansas pheasant and quail opens next weekend, hopefully I can shoot a few back home. Good luck to all hunting SD!

I agree. It's funny the older we get how that changes. When I was younger I used to be a "how fast can I shoot them type of guy" as I'm sure most of us where. Then the older I get I could care less about shooting them. It's just awesome being out there and wondering around the prairie with my dogs. Same way with deer hunting, I'll leave the killing to my kids, I don't need to shoot one every year to feel good. Friday evening in South Dakota it was perfect, perfect weather, perfect section of grass for watching dogs work, and yet I hadn't pulled the trigger in over 2 hours and I could care less. The smile on my face was the same!

I agree. It's funny the older we get how that changes. When I was younger I used to be a "how fast can I shoot them type of guy" as I'm sure most of us where. Then the older I get I could care less about shooting them. It's just awesome being out there and wondering around the prairie with my dogs. Same way with deer hunting, I'll leave the killing to my kids, I don't need to shoot one every year to feel good. Friday evening in South Dakota it was perfect, perfect weather, perfect section of grass for watching dogs work, and yet I hadn't pulled the trigger in over 2 hours and I could care less. The smile on my face was the same!

Well said KGsp
One of my bigger SD regrets was not taking the time to see Tom Knapp do his exhibition show as part of the Huron pheasant festival, ten or so years ago. That was at a late afternoon performance, the best time to be in the field chasing roosters. Fast forward to today, and I would not have missed it. Best of luck to all this fall! I am thankful for all SD has to offer the outdoorsman.

That's a great gun, jonnyB. My dad and I had matching light 12 A-5s we got in the early 70's; when he found that gun too heavy to swing--he was 80, as I recall--I'm nearly there now, myself--I found a used A5-light 20 for him such as you describe. I don't think he had any trouble with the magazine cutoff being stiff on it; but as I said, it was used, and well-used at that. I still have it in my gun safe...but I prefer his first gun, an Ithaca Model 37; so when the A-5 became a bit much for me, that's what I switched to; and that's what, God willing, I'll shoot Nov. 11 in South Dakota. But if it breaks...my A-5 is beside it in the gun case, waiting for the trip. Cannot wait!

Solved the difficult magazine cutoff latch issue - works fine now. The little black screw that holds the spring was too tight. This screw actually adjusts the pressure on the flat spring...
Have a successful trip on the 11th!

Solved the difficult magazine cutoff latch issue - works fine now. The little black screw that holds the spring was too tight. This screw actually adjusts the pressure on the flat spring...
Have a successful trip on the 11th!

That's so great you got help & solved your stiff lever issue. Does it appear that the tension on the spring is what keeps the screw from falling out, like a lock washer? Do you think it'd be possible/likely to loosen it to the point that the lever operates the way a person would want, but there's not enough tension to keep the screw from spinning out? Just curious. I obviously haven't gotten around to fiddling w/ mine yet.

I backed off the screw a bit so the lever is easy to operate. Yes, the spring pressure appears to keep the screw in position. I did load three in the magazine and the lever worked fine. If the screw worked it's way loose, the lever wouldn't operate correctly and the shell would cycle. Assume locktite could work on the screw.

It appears the previous owner of this gun never operated the lever and only used the gun for clays or trap. I operate the lever every time I return to the truck and put the gun away...

Jon

Observations: The birds were almost always by corn or shelter belts. The walk-in-area program is a sham. Almost everyone of them is a cut wheat field or some barren wasteland. I saw one WIA that was grazed to nothing. Even the wet spots had no cover. Why pay these guys money to give access to something nobody is ever going to hunt. Heck the farmers I talked with agreed the WIA program is messed up. I guess it gives the state more acreage of public land to brag about. It is false advertising to say these are hunt-able. The School lands are the same thing. Those things are grazed to nothing so they really aren't worth mentioning as hunt-able public land. The good public land was being pounded by serveral people each day so that made things tough. I think it is going to be interesting to see if there is a continued decline in people hunting in SD. If you look at the drop in small game license around the country its not looking good. Not everyone wants to pay to play. Personally that style of hunting isn't my thing anyway. I love to be out there with my dogs and enjoying the surroundings. As the hunting places lease up more farm land for their operations it is getting harder to get access. Not impossible but much harder. It will be interesting to see where things go in the future.

All that being said I love hunting behind my dogs and there is nothing better than the sights and sounds of a bird flushing up close. Good luck to everyone heading out.

Rude One, you are spot on about SD public hunting areas. Truly a waste and a disappointment.

Just back from North Central SD, 9 day hunt 27 Oct-4 Nov. Group of 4 "old regulars" with another 4 younger folks coming and going but only staying about 2-3 days each as we went along. So biggest party was 8, usually 4-5.

Mostly hunted private land that we've been on the last decade or more. Birds numbers WAY down from the halcyon years of pheasants every where you stepped. None the less, we got a decent bag most every day. Not everyone limited but some limited every day. Had to hunt much longer to get that decent bag; in fact, we hunted the entire legal shooting day.

As some have mentioned, corn+cover+water source = pheasants. It doesn't all have to be in the same quarter. We've all seen pheasants cruise hundreds and hundreds of yards with a few wing beats and glides. Not to mention a good sprint after they land. But all those things need to be in relatively close proximity to each other.

Many if not most of the usual sloughs were mowed like a golf fairway. A lot of good old spots just worthless this year. Some of the corn wasn't out and that might have helped. However, land that in the 2006-2011 time frame might see flocks of 50 or more flush were only holding a small handful of birds. This does not bode well for the immediate future.

We did hunt some public land and all I can say is what a disappointment. My group has always accepted that the school lands are essentially worthless for upland hunting. We were surprised however that CREP was often the same bare, heavily grazed land. CREP? The land the book tells you is "improved" for wildlife? Huh? Game production areas we >slightly< better with a few crop strips here and there. Walk-in wasn't very good either. We gave public land 2 days of effort and had our lowest reward for that effort.

I doubt it will happen but SD Game, Fish & Parks needs to SERIOUSLY overhaul their public hunting program. They should look to what Nebraska is doing. Heck, Kansas does WAY better than SD with public areas. It seems to me that SDGFP just spends/hands out $ willy-nilly with no consideration as to whether the land they're spending on has any real relationship to good upland hunting.

I'm just VERY thankful we have access to good private land.

None the less, I also echo Rude One's last statement. It's all about walking behind the Labs with a shotgun a a few shells. Nothing beats having your dog bust a big, bold, gaudy rooster out of thick, waist high canary grass right in front of you.

Good luck to you all this season. May we get the moisture and temperatures we need for a bountiful hatch next Spring.

Rude One, you are spot on about SD public hunting areas. Truly a waste and a disappointment.

Just back from North Central SD, 9 day hunt 27 Oct-4 Nov. Group of 4 "old regulars" with another 4 younger folks coming and going but only staying about 2-3 days each as we went along. So biggest party was 8, usually 4-5.

Mostly hunted private land that we've been on the last decade or more. Birds numbers WAY down from the halcyon years of pheasants every where you stepped. None the less, we got a decent bag most every day. Not everyone limited but some limited every day. Had to hunt much longer to get that decent bag; in fact, we hunted the entire legal shooting day.

As some have mentioned, corn+cover+water source = pheasants. It doesn't all have to be in the same quarter. We've all seen pheasants cruise hundreds and hundreds of yards with a few wing beats and glides. Not to mention a good sprint after they land. But all those things need to be in relatively close proximity to each other.

Many if not most of the usual sloughs were mowed like a golf fairway. A lot of good old spots just worthless this year. Some of the corn wasn't out and that might have helped. However, land that in the 2006-2011 time frame might see flocks of 50 or more flush were only holding a small handful of birds. This does not bode well for the immediate future.

We did hunt some public land and all I can say is what a disappointment. My group has always accepted that the school lands are essentially worthless for upland hunting. We were surprised however that CREP was often the same bare, heavily grazed land. CREP? The land the book tells you is "improved" for wildlife? Huh? Game production areas we >slightly< better with a few crop strips here and there. Walk-in wasn't very good either. We gave public land 2 days of effort and had our lowest reward for that effort.

I doubt it will happen but SD Game, Fish & Parks needs to SERIOUSLY overhaul their public hunting program. They should look to what Nebraska is doing. Heck, Kansas does WAY better than SD with public areas. It seems to me that SDGFP just spends/hands out $ willy-nilly with no consideration as to whether the land they're spending on has any real relationship to good upland hunting.

I'm just VERY thankful we have access to good private land.

None the less, I also echo Rude One's last statement. It's all about walking behind the Labs with a shotgun a a few shells. Nothing beats having your dog bust a big, bold, gaudy rooster out of thick, waist high canary grass right in front of you.

Good luck to you all this season. May we get the moisture and temperatures we need for a bountiful hatch next Spring.

saw several large walk in areas that you couldn't lose a golf ball in.........pitiful.

SD is beginning to lose it's appeal to the public land hunters......losing 300k acres of CRP over the next year will only make it worse.

Landowners get paid a pittance to be enrolled in the WIA program. Here's a link with info, including haying & grazing. http://habitat.sd.gov/resources/docs/wia-info-pack.pdf Not sure how it all fits into rules associated w/ CRP acres. But I think there are times when a landowner (BECAUSE he's enrolled in 1 or both programs) HAS to do something (grazing, plowing/planting, burning, etc.) in order to provide a certain type of cover, control noxious weeds, or otherwise maintain healthy habitat. Don't quote me on that though. Also, there's emergency haying, which I think is more prevalent in real dry years. I've seen WIA's mowed, disked & replanted all in the same year. I've never thought the resulting cover was any better than what had been there previously. Same with Waterfowl Production Areas that undergo similar events (especially grazing). But....I'm no expert & don't know all the rules. All I know is that for a couple years, that land is pretty much useless to me, and afterward, there aren't any more birds than before. My guess is there are loopholes, especially in the CRP program, that allow haying, grazing, etc. when & where hunters would least expect it, leaving us really scratching our heads.

We just put some of our land into CRP. So what does that mean. Next spring we will plant 15 varieties of grasses as prescribed by the NSRC. In July we are required to mow the tops off the field in order to control weeds and help the plants get a better foothold on the land. After that we have to control the weeds. We cannot plant food plots or trees on the acres enrolled in CRP. Sometime between the 4th and 6th year we have to burn or mow the entire CRP. If we have a drought we may be provided the opportunity to hay a certain amount of the property. That is about it. We did not enroll in the walk in area program due to previous bad experiences (people not following the rules, poaching, littering, driving vehicles across the property and a fire). And like what A5Sweet16 said, the re-reimbursement to the landowners was very small. Just a note all CRP programs are not the same. Our CRP was attached to Ducks unlimited requirements which meant we had to have a certain percentage of wet land to qualify and plant duck friendly habitat for nesting. Not sure why they didn't include food plots or trees in our CRP. V/r SDViking

We just put some of our land into CRP. So what does that mean. Next spring we will plant 15 varieties of grasses as prescribed by the NSRC. In July we are required to mow the tops off the field in order to control weeds and help the plants get a better foothold on the land. After that we have to control the weeds. We cannot plant food plots or trees on the acres enrolled in CRP. Sometime between the 4th and 6th year we have to burn or mow the entire CRP. If we have a drought we may be provided the opportunity to hay a certain amount of the property. That is about it. We did not enroll in the walk in area program due to previous bad experiences (people not following the rules, poaching, littering, driving vehicles across the property and a fire). And like what A5Sweet16 said, the re-reimbursement to the landowners was very small. Just a note all CRP programs are not the same. Our CRP was attached to Ducks unlimited requirements which meant we had to have a certain percentage of wet land to qualify and plant duck friendly habitat for nesting. Not sure why they didn't include food plots or trees in our CRP. V/r SDViking

Unfortunately our government could never work together. Wouldn't make more sense to include a pheasant stamp say 20 -30 bucks a license across the board. Take that money and allow it to enhance the CRP payment requiring/ allowing some food plots and paying a much higher per acre price. This of course would require the two agencies to work together which is where this fantasy ends.....

Not all WIA are intended for pheasant hunting. The old books used to provide info on what species the parcel was intended to provide access for. Not sure if that info is still out there or available as I use the phone ap now.

I have bitched about CREP properties in the past because some of them have pretty disappointing cover and as I understand it the program was implemented with a focus on public access.

I love the idea of a high dollar pheasant stamp with the proceeds targeted to provide access to better pheasant cover. 200,000 pheasant hunters (not sure if SD gets that many now) at $20 each would provide $4M to target better parcels or connect good habitat to existing parcels. Just don't think there would be enough overall support to make it happen. Resident license buyers less likely to care about free lancing on public land. Many non-resident hunters are mostly to SD for pay-to-play opportunities. Higher license fees are really unpopular in general etc. etc.

Could make it a separate program where some parcels are only available to those who purchase the stamp but that means higher administrative costs, enforcement burdens etc. As hunters in a sport that is on a fairly steep decline I think we will all need to make more of our own $$ available to improve & increase habitat, provide access etc. Just not sure if that means committing to programs like this, more meaningful support of organizations like PF, TRCP & DU.....

While we all realize that the various SD public hunting resources have different rules and requirements, I think we all realize that SD public hunting lands for pheasants could certainly be improved.

I keep mentioning Nebraska. Nebraska, after years of upland decline (I used to hunt NE pretty extensively...used to) NE Game & Parks finally quit with the excuses and took action.

NE decided to "Focus on Pheasants". http://outdoornebraska.gov/focusonpheasants/

Of course, quail benefit from this as well, making it potentially a great state to hunt.

They have implemented the Berggren Plan to get NE back into one of the top upland hunting states.

http://outdoornebraska.gov/pheasantplan/

The downloadable plan summary: http://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Berggren-Plan.pdf

IF NE can do this, SD could do it as well. It's something SD NEEDS to do, considering the decline in the pheasant population there AND the overall poor state of their public hunting lands. IMO.

SD has been coasting, relying on the reputation for a naturally high pheasant population that it justifiably earned over previous years. That pheasant population has dropped significantly post 2012. As a result this year we noticed a significant decline in hunters, down maybe 80% from the incredibly great years prior to 2012. SD shouldn't rest on its laurels. Time to roll up the sleeves and do some work.

I'll be returning to SD in 2019, but I'll also be spending time in NE. Time to check out what the Berggren plan has accomplished to date.

Spent 4 days in north central SD last week of October hunting alone with my dog. 1 day hunting public (no birds in bag), 3 days private (7 birds). Bird numbers are significantly up from last year if you can find good habitat. One 160 acre WIA I have always had good luck on was mowed clean (see photo). Sad to see. I can understand why the farmer does this but am confused why they can still enter it as WIA. In the 4 years I've hunted this area, there are less and less public lands with decent habitat. In addition, the ditches are mostly mowed now.

I didn't keep accurate count but estimate that I saw 150 birds with gun in hand. Probably 3 to 1, hen to identifiable rooster ratio. In general hens were holding tight, roosters flushing wild and running. Lots of young birds. They were really tough to identify, especially during golden hour when the sun was low. It was great weather and beautiful country. I have a head full of great memories of birds and dog to keep me happy for another year.

Just want to give a shout out for Pheasants Forever. Really enjoyed following their Rooster Road Trip this year. Just average guys hunting public lands.

the problem with charging more for a license is getting more quality habitat for that money. i have seen some WIHA and CREP ground this year that was a total waste of time....absolutely void of any huntable cover at all! SD better wake up and get their shit together, the number of hunters is wayyyyyy down. pen raised birds close to home fly well enough (high dollar lodges use them daily), i sure don't need a 1800 MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVE. time to hunt Nebraska and Kansas.

Hunter94, South Dakota habitat is declining which is unfortunate. Large farms are slowly buying out the smaller farms as our farmers age. The fields are slowly having drain tile installed so the pot holes and sloughs that were once sprinkled across most fields are now drained into larger sloughs and pastures. Fence lines that use to have some cover are being removed, along with a lot of shelter belts. Most CRP contracts are held by the smaller farmers of which there are getting fewer of. Unfortunately these events are taking place, which leads to less habitat. Plus it sure seems like there is more fall tillage than before but maybe i wasn't paying as much attention.

We are trying to improve our habitat with CRP, putting in quite a few rows of bushes and ceders, plus food plots and digging a few pot holes. But it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time. We also raise and release hens in the spring and chicks throughout the summer/fall just to keep numbers up.

Having said all the above, I did help out with some custom combining along the Missouri River and the habitat was fantastic along with the bird numbers. Definitely gives me hope.
SDviking

Hunter94, South Dakota habitat is declining which is unfortunate. Large farms are slowly buying out the smaller farms as our farmers age. The fields are slowly having drain tile installed so the pot holes and sloughs that were once sprinkled across most fields are now drained into larger sloughs and pastures. Fence lines that use to have some cover are being removed, along with a lot of shelter belts. Most CRP contracts are held by the smaller farmers of which there are getting fewer of. Unfortunately these events are taking place, which leads to less habitat. Plus it sure seems like there is more fall tillage than before but maybe i wasn't paying as much attention.

We are trying to improve our habitat with CRP, putting in quite a few rows of bushes and ceders, plus food plots and digging a few pot holes. But it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time. We also raise and release hens in the spring and chicks throughout the summer/fall just to keep numbers up.

Having said all the above, I did help out with some custom combining along the Missouri River and the habitat was fantastic along with the bird numbers. Definitely gives me hope.
SDviking

good work , TY. Unfortunately it will take money and a custom, farmer friendly program in SD to really make a difference. at this time i just don't see that happening. the guys that hunt public will eventually diminish and stay home and shoot pen raised birds. i hate it, but what else can a NR do? if i need to spend $250 per day to shoot 5-6 birds close to home, it just makes sense to do that instead of driving the distance, paying to hunt, gas and lodging.... to shoot a bird a day or less.....it's economics for the hunter too, as much as for the landowner.......we all need to remember that!

I agree with you, there just isn't enough public shooting areas that have adequate habitat to maintain pheasant populations that can keep up with the current hunting pressure. I know the public shooting areas around here are pretty darn good with good cover, water and food plots. But what has happened here is that on 3 sides of one of our best public shooting areas, two sides are now owned by pay to hunt club, they have really done well in adding to the habitat, one side is a private land owner that set up his own hunting paradise and the other side is a farmer that farms it and tills it bare. So there are a couple of people that improved their hunting situation.

What is sad is that we have large acre farmers that often ask to hunt our property because we have habitat and they don't. We have 400 acres verses them having thousands of acres.

If hunters are hoping businessmen (farmers) are going to take land out of production for the benefit of wildlife without compensation for lost revenue it will be a long wait. Plus landowners would have to provide access which around here is a tough sell.

Not all think this way but there are quite a few. Some will complain about deer eating their crops but then turn down every hunter asking to hunt deer on their property.

SDviking

I agree with you, there just isn't enough public shooting areas that have adequate habitat to maintain pheasant populations that can keep up with the current hunting pressure. I know the public shooting areas around here are pretty darn good with good cover, water and food plots. But what has happened here is that on 3 sides of one of our best public shooting areas, two sides are now owned by pay to hunt club, they have really done well in adding to the habitat, one side is a private land owner that set up his own hunting paradise and the other side is a farmer that farms it and tills it bare. So there are a couple of people that improved their hunting situation.

What is sad is that we have large acre farmers that often ask to hunt our property because we have habitat and they don't. We have 400 acres verses them having thousands of acres.

If hunters are hoping businessmen (farmers) are going to take land out of production for the benefit of wildlife without compensation for lost revenue it will be a long wait. Plus landowners would have to provide access which around here is a tough sell.

Not all think this way but there are quite a few. Some will complain about deer eating their crops but then turn down every hunter asking to hunt deer on their property.

SDviking

OK wow my previous post sounds like a real bummer. It's really not that bad but hunters should sense a change from the old days. On a good note the snows and blues are flying into our region and we still have good Canadian Geese numbers. Plus Rifle Deer season opens next weekend. SDviking

Back