28 guage

I had M/M in my red label in Sept for prairie birds…I’ll go back to IC/M next year. My Ugartechea S x S is IC/M. My Parker Repro is IM/F…may have it opened a bit more.

My 1st-choice gun for Sept sharpies & huns is a 28ga o/u. It had the IC/Mod choke tubes in it when I got it, and I haven't taken them out, and probably won't.
Haven't hunted pheasant with it yet, but I do intend to at some point because I shoot it better than pretty much all my other guns.
I've got a few boxes of the 1 oz loads that BB mentioned above, and also some Golden Pheasant 7/8 oz of 6's that should work well.

I like M and IM in my 2 28 ga. Just seems like it hits much harder with those. Might be all in my head too. Guess you just have to center the birds no matter the choke. But at 64 my reactions have slowed a bit and those seem to add a few yards to range.

My 1st-choice gun for Sept sharpies & huns is a 28ga o/u. It had the IC/Mod choke tubes in it when I got it, and I haven't taken them out, and probably won't.
Haven't hunted pheasant with it yet, but I do intend to at some point because I shoot it better than pretty much all my other guns.
I've got a few boxes of the 1 oz loads that BB mentioned above, and also some Golden Pheasant 7/8 oz of 6's that should work well.
I was thinking IC and Full.

Mod and full. Goose, keep in mind that if you hunt pheasants with a 28 you will need to shoot the very best ammo you can find, and they won't be cheap. I love my 28 but have gravitated back to the 20's.
I have found that the older I get, the more my go to gun is a 12 guage automatic, or a 20 guage side by side.Kind of strange,but its my personal experience with many shotguns. I had a big slump with my sweet 16, after starting out nicely.

All about pellet count. You gotta get that pattern tighter the fewer pellets you have, to limit the amount of holes a phez vital can slip into. You might be able to be okay with IC if you use 6s up close, probably need modified or full for 4s.

A 28ga 1oz shell is going to be the same as a 20ga 1oz shell, which I probably dont need to point out. So theoretically the same choke would be used, however the bigger bore usually patterns a little more uniformly. A 3/4oz would theoretically need slightly more choke than the 20, but the pattern board would tell you. I have only shot 28ga once and used a M/M and it seemed to do well, wasn't my gun so no clue how it patterned.

Similarly I am going to take a rooster with a 410 next week, i am going to hunt until I can make it happen. I loaded some 3" 3/4oz of nickel plated 6s, so it should be equal to a 28ga 3/4oz 6 shot just slower. It patterned absolutely good enough at 25 yards which will be my limit, using IM choke.

All about pellet count. You gotta get that pattern tighter the fewer pellets you have, to limit the amount of holes a phez vital can slip into. You might be able to be okay with IC if you use 6s up close, probably need modified or full for 4s.

A 28ga 1oz shell is going to be the same as a 20ga 1oz shell, which I probably dont need to point out. So theoretically the same choke would be used, however the bigger bore usually patterns a little more uniformly. A 3/4oz would theoretically need slightly more choke than the 20, but the pattern board would tell you. I have only shot 28ga once and used a M/M and it seemed to do well, wasn't my gun so no clue how it patterned.

Similarly I am going to take a rooster with a 410 next week, i am going to hunt until I can make it happen. I loaded some 3" 3/4oz of nickel plated 6s, so it should be equal to a 28ga 3/4oz 6 shot just slower. It patterned absolutely good enough at 25 yards which will be my limit, using IM choke.
Cool challenge. A 410. will kill a pheasant cleanly, IF HE LEAVES THE GROUND WITHIN A FEW FEET OF YOU AND YOUR READY. Let us know how it goes.

Cool challenge. A 410. will kill a pheasant cleanly, IF HE LEAVES THE GROUND WITHIN A FEW FEET OF YOU AND YOUR READY. Let us know how it goes.

Absolutely will. I will be hunting private land with good friends so i will just let others shoot anything that is not in my range. Hopefully i can get it done cleanly and ethically, i just want one for pictures and a memory.

Appreciate the report. I'm looking into a 28.
This is a perfect thread as I am looking into a 28 as well. I love my 16b, but am looking to toy around with a 28 using #5 shot. There is a regular YouTube guy that duck hunts almost exclusively with a 28 and does really well with Boss #5.

This is what I used during this years SD trip.
1700592582133.png

Killed them just as dead as my 12 or 20 did last year.

Probably 6-7 DRT and only one cripple the dog had to chase down.

Just didn’t see that many with all the corn still in.

Back