Youth Opener Results

:10sign: I couldn't have scripted our 2008 youth opener hunt any better than it was! I'm going to make this broad because I've noticed that there are a lot more people taking in information than are sharing information on this site. I don't wish to be attacked or harassed or whatever after this post, for those of you who like to criticize my comments made in an effort to enhance someone's experience. For those of you newer folks that would like some more specific locales, PM me because I wish all of you an enjoyable hunt and wouldn't mind sharing info with those who aren't fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to scout areas before season.

We left eastern KS at 4:00 AM with 3 bright eyed 13 year old boys for the youth opener. 2 of the boys had never hunted any birds at all, but were very excited about the opportunity. We picked a WIHA spot that opened Sept. 1 (brown square) that had some grass and waited for shooting hours to begin, while we covered the basics of safety one last time. In that field we kicked up 2 prarie chickens, a group of 6 pheasants (2 roosters), then had 2 rooster points, and another couple of roosters get up out of range. Only 2 shots were attempted out of 5 or 6 roosters that were well within range. One of the kids who'd never been simply watched those big pretty birds fly away through the first field, which is fine by me, he was enjoying the experience anyway. We also saw 2 does, a flock of ducks, and a flock of geese while we were in that first field. We drove down to the road a ways and hunted some grass next to wheat stubble, seeing about 40 more chickens on our drive. There was also a real nice thicket in the middle of the grass. We saw about 8 more pheasants there and a covey of quail. No birds in the bag yet, but at least we had led flying from ALL 3 of their barrels this time:thumbsup:

We drove toward Hill City, but never made it there. Too many crops still in, the roads were muddy, and we were getting hot. One of the kids had to head home, so he and his youth minister took to the road. They called about 5 minutes after we split and said they found a dead rooster where they were getting on the highway. The rest of our group headed south about an hour south and west of Hays, then worked our way back east. The roads were still muddy, but at least some of the crops were harvested. Didn't see a harvested milo field anywhere!!!

We ended up finding 2 more coveys of quail (nice coveys w/ around 30 birds) and a few pheasants in every grass patch we stepped into. We also pushed a nice whitetail buck out of one of the grass patches. Each of the boys ended up finding their zone in one of the final CRP fields and harvested a bird each within about a 3 minute stretch. At that moment, me and the other boy's father were elated! There is nothing I would've have rather spent a little money and some time doing yesterday than introducing the next generation of pheasant addicts to our tradition. Best of luck to everyone this fall!

Introduce someone new to the outdoors!

Last edited:
Youth Hunt Host

Sounds like the chaperons had a nice time too!

I don't wish to be attacked or harassed or whatever after this post, for those of you who like to criticize my comments made in an effort to enhance someone's experience. For those of you newer folks that would like some more specific locales, PM me because I wish all of you an enjoyable hunt and wouldn't mind sharing info with those who aren't fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to scout areas before season.

IMO anybody that wanted to know your exact spots should have grabbed a couple kids and gone with you.:D

As a new reader/poster on this site, I am not looking for anybody to give up their private land or WIHA tract numbers or anything like that. I would be happy just to read about other peoples' experiences and pick up a few tips here and there. I would never expect to read "Go to WIHA tract 37 in X County and start at the South end, and hunt the big waterway that divides the the milo stubble..."

General information can be plenty useful. Anyway, thanks for posting about the youth pheasant hunt. I enjoyed reading it, and hopefully more people will get involved.

:10sign: I couldn't have scripted our 2008 youth opener hunt any better than it was! I'm going to make this broad because I've noticed that there are a lot more people taking in information than are sharing information on this site. I don't wish to be attacked or harassed or whatever after this post, for those of you who like to criticize my comments made in an effort to enhance someone's experience. For those of you newer folks that would like some more specific locales, PM me because I wish all of you an enjoyable hunt and wouldn't mind sharing info with those who aren't fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to scout areas before season.

We left eastern KS at 4:00 AM with 3 bright eyed 13 year old boys for the youth opener. 2 of the boys had never hunted any birds at all, but were very excited about the opportunity. We picked a WIHA spot that opened Sept. 1 (brown square) that had some grass and waited for shooting hours to begin, while we covered the basics of safety one last time. In that field we kicked up 2 prarie chickens, a group of 6 pheasants (2 roosters), then had 2 rooster points, and another couple of roosters get up out of range. Only 2 shots were attempted out of 5 or 6 roosters that were well within range. One of the kids who'd never been simply watched those big pretty birds fly away through the first field, which is fine by me, he was enjoying the experience anyway. We also saw 2 does, a flock of ducks, and a flock of geese while we were in that first field. We drove down to the road a ways and hunted some grass next to wheat stubble, seeing about 40 more chickens on our drive. There was also a real nice thicket in the middle of the grass. We saw about 8 more pheasants there and a covey of quail. No birds in the bag yet, but at least we had led flying from ALL 3 of their barrels this time:thumbsup:

We drove toward Hill City, but never made it there. Too many crops still in, the roads were muddy, and we were getting hot. One of the kids had to head home, so he and his youth minister took to the road. They called about 5 minutes after we split and said they found a dead rooster where they were getting on the highway. The rest of our group headed south about almost an hour south and west of Hays. The roads were still muddy, but at least some of the crops were harvested. Didn't see a harvested milo field anywhere!!!

We ended up finding 2 more coveys of quail (nice coveys w/ around 30 birds) and a few pheasants in every grass patch we stepped into. We also pushed a nice whitetail buck out of one of the grass patches. Each of the boys ended up finding their zone in one of the final CRP fields and harvested a bird each within about a 3 minute stretch. At that moment, me and the other boy's father were elated! There is nothing I would've have rather spent a little money and some time doing yesterday than introducing the next generation of pheasant addicts to our tradition. Best of luck to everyone this fall!

We should of have joined you KB...My buddies daughter shot 1 rooster with a .410, killed it dead. it was a great shot. We saw a ton of birds and didn't really walk that much. We're still planning a day trip the second weekend if you're still in. The Milo should be pretty much out by then. The farmer whose land that I hunt told me that he doesn't care if I hunted the standing crops just not alot of people, but I just can't bring my self to do it. There is plenty of other land to hunt besides the milo. Just call me later this week and we'll lock in our plans. Congrats on gettnig the boys hooked for life.

I was in the Olathe Gun Shop on Saturday and overheard a guy say that there were a lot of pheasants in Franklin County this year. Being an old SW Kansas farm boy, I am not used to hearing eastern Kansas being heavy with pheasants. I hope it is so. I have only hunted eastern Kansas for waterfowl.

Just hope you all have some time in the field chasing some roosters.

I was in the Olathe Gun Shop on Saturday and overheard a guy say that there were a lot of pheasants in Franklin County this year. Being an old SW Kansas farm boy, I am not used to hearing eastern Kansas being heavy with pheasants. I hope it is so. I have only hunted eastern Kansas for waterfowl.

Just hope you all have some time in the field chasing some roosters.
M.R. Byrd, were you by chance at the gun shop that is about 155th and I-35? Do they have a gunsmith on-site by chance?

That was my first time there, but I did see people bringing guns in for service and repair, so I would say, "Yes". Seemed like a nice shop and I will stop in again when in KC, which is about every four weeks.

Several of my hunting friends and I put on a youth hunt every year. In fact this is the 5th year in a row that we've done it. This year we hosted 6 youths. I started this hunt for my son who was 10. This year his twin sister decided she wanted to participate also. The hunt took place in the Liberal area. We are fortunate to own a small farm outside of town that has a 3 bedroom house that I use as a hunting camp during season. The hunt always starts the evening before with a warmup shooting trap followed by a cookout. The following morning the kids hunt while guided by my hunting friends and any dads that come along. We always have several dogs that add to the excitement of the hunt. This year the kids shot 10 roosters in all. They had ample opportunity to finish out their 2 birds limit however the wind came up late in the morning and their shooting percentage went way down. The highlight was my daughter shot her first pheasant. The good news was that I was pleasantly surprised at the number of birds that we put in the air. Even though there aren't nearly as many as last year I would say this looks like an above average year.

girls hunting

I am very jealous of you, Dogman. My daughter is 3 1/2 this year, and I am very much looking forward to taking her hunting with me when she gets older. She is already an accomplished fisher, having started crappie fishing at age 2. This year, she mostly liked riding in the tube with mom and driving the boat with me, although she did fish a few times also. Her curiosity and excitement about new things makes the experience even more fun, even though her attention span is pretty short and I always pack up still wanting more.

So anyway, I guess I have a question for y'all. This would be a question for anybody that cares to weigh-in... I don't think she's ready to tag along on a bird hunt just yet.:D So, when did you guys start taking your kids bird hunting with you? What age is about right to let them walk along beside you (without a gun)? What age did they take hunter safety? I took hunter safety at age 19, and hunted the first time at age 20, so I can't really draw on personal experience.

What is the best kind of hunting to take a kid the first time? I thought maybe a duck or goose hunt would be relaxed and fun, but still have enough action to keep a kid interested. Plus, if nothing is flying it would be easier to talk or read or pet the dog since you're not walking and searching for game.

I realize this is all a couple years off at least, but it sure is fun for a dad to daydream about. What are your guys' thoughts?

I am very jealous of you, Dogman. My daughter is 3 1/2 this year, and I am very much looking forward to taking her hunting with me when she gets older. She is already an accomplished fisher, having started crappie fishing at age 2. This year, she mostly liked riding in the tube with mom and driving the boat with me, although she did fish a few times also. Her curiosity and excitement about new things makes the experience even more fun, even though her attention span is pretty short and I always pack up still wanting more.

So anyway, I guess I have a question for y'all. This would be a question for anybody that cares to weigh-in... I don't think she's ready to tag along on a bird hunt just yet.:D So, when did you guys start taking your kids bird hunting with you? What age is about right to let them walk along beside you (without a gun)? What age did they take hunter safety? I took hunter safety at age 19, and hunted the first time at age 20, so I can't really draw on personal experience.

What is the best kind of hunting to take a kid the first time? I thought maybe a duck or goose hunt would be relaxed and fun, but still have enough action to keep a kid interested. Plus, if nothing is flying it would be easier to talk or read or pet the dog since you're not walking and searching for game.

I realize this is all a couple years off at least, but it sure is fun for a dad to daydream about. What are your guys' thoughts?

Take her on a spring turkey hunt. Not too cold, lots of wonderful sounds in the morning, and it is pretty easy to get a Tom close enough for her for see and hear. I take my sons that are too young to walk through the pheasant fields out and let them sit with the blockers. They love it!!!

I have 3 sons and I introduced all of them to hunting as soon as they showed an interest. I took my 2 oldest boys dove hunting when they were 3 & 4 yrs old. My best friend sat with one and I sat with the other. We were hunting over a water hole and we did quite a bit of shooting so the boys got caught up in the excitement. My friend showed the boys how to remove the heads which added to the excitement as they couldn't wait for the next bird to be shot so they could pull the heads off. My yongest son started going dove hunting when he was 5 yrs old. I started taking the boys pheasant hunting when they were 5 yrs old. They all got to take their BB guns into the field at age 6. When they reached 9 they took hunters safety got to start hunting at that age. Many will say that's too young I don't know. I did it that way because that was how my dad did it with my brother and I. Now that I'm older and have grandchildren I wonder if 11 or 12 would be a better age. I do know one thing and that is that I have instilled the thrill of hunting in them. They have the same passion for the sport that I have. I do think that the best way to get a kid hooked on hunting is to take them dove hunting. The weather is nice, there's nothing demanding about it, there's lots of action to hold a child's attention and when they start handling a gun you have the opportunity to watch and teach good safety and shooting skills. One other thing I do is buy each of my sons a Kansas lifetime hunting license on their 16th birthday. I tell each of them with this they will always be able to come back home and hunt with dad.

I say get em' out when ya can!

I have 3 sons and I introduced all of them to hunting as soon as they showed an interest. I took my 2 oldest boys dove hunting when they were 3 & 4 yrs old. My best friend sat with one and I sat with the other. We were hunting over a water hole and we did quite a bit of shooting so the boys got caught up in the excitement. My friend showed the boys how to remove the heads which added to the excitement as they couldn't wait for the next bird to be shot so they could pull the heads off. My yongest son started going dove hunting when he was 5 yrs old. I started taking the boys pheasant hunting when they were 5 yrs old. They all got to take their BB guns into the field at age 6. When they reached 9 they took hunters safety got to start hunting at that age. Many will say that's too young I don't know. I did it that way because that was how my dad did it with my brother and I. Now that I'm older and have grandchildren I wonder if 11 or 12 would be a better age. I do know one thing and that is that I have instilled the thrill of hunting in them. They have the same passion for the sport that I have. I do think that the best way to get a kid hooked on hunting is to take them dove hunting. The weather is nice, there's nothing demanding about it, there's lots of action to hold a child's attention and when they start handling a gun you have the opportunity to watch and teach good safety and shooting skills. One other thing I do is buy each of my sons a Kansas lifetime hunting license on their 16th birthday. I tell each of them with this they will always be able to come back home and hunt with dad.

Great post!!! My 6yo certainly enjoyed dove hunting this year and that is probably a better recommendation than a spring turkey hunt. It isn't easy to keep the youngins still.:rolleyes: About the age thing.....that's is a judgement call to be made by the parent IMO. I carried a shotgun for the first time when I was 6, which was too young. No accidents thankfully, but I consider my ole' man lucky. I fully expect to let my first son carry a .410 on hunts with me only when he is 8. He handles his BB gun appropriately now and follows safety rules well and I think 1 more year of doing that will prepare him. The younger boy is only 3, so it is too early to tell when he'll be ready to carry a gun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and advice. I had been wondering if she might be ready to tag along next year, but didn't know if that was too young. I guess we'll put in another season of fishing and see if she is interested in going hunting next Fall.
Best of luck to everybody this weekend. :thumbsup:

We do the same in Indiana, although the "hunts" are put on before the regular season with planted birds. I wish we would have a youth opener on public land with wild birds.

Seems like it's harder and harder to get a full complement of kids to hunt.

Yor're so right on finding kids to hunt. I feel bad for my son because he's developed this passion for hunting and he has very few friends that he can share his experiences with. I keep thinking as he gets older he may develop more friends that take up hunting. He is 15 and no one his age hunts. The people he knows that hunt are all younger than him.

Sorry it took so long, I know I started this thread a long time ago, but here is a pic of some excited youngsters. This is a first pheasant for one of em'!

Back