Won a Guided Hunt with MN Wild Players

waterdog09

Got a call today from the marketing manager at Gander Mtn saying I won a guided all expenses paid hunt with a Minnesota Wild Player next week at Wild Wings in Hugo. Has anyone been on this or won it before? Just curious as what to expect? She stated that all the gear and shells will be provided by Gander Mtn, PF and Federal. Vests, shirts, hats, chaps and boots along with shells provided by federal. I'm going to feel kind of bad if I don't wear any of it as I have all my own stuff and don't want to hunt in anything but my Wings Works vest. They stated I could bring my dog if I want still tossing the idea around if I want to or not as they will have dogs and guides? Either way I am taking my father in law and we are both excited for the hunt and to see who we get for a player and who from PF we will be hunting with? Should be a good time!

Wild Winds is a decent operation. Hunted there twice, but with my own dogs.

I actually won a home & away Wild package which included a trip to Dallas. We stayed in the same hotel as the Wild (they did not tell us this). I brought my son along (11 at the time). This package was handled pretty well.

We were down in the lobby and it looked like a convention of TV mobsters. The Wild players were in sport coats ... some in suits ... waiting to go have a team dinner. Strong guys, some missing teeth. They had a couple of security guys that kept the ebay guys at bay, but let my son have time to get some autographs. Mitchell (traded to Dallas Stars) showed up and joined his former teammates that evening.

I stood and talked with Manny F for some time and (he) having lived in Dallas gave us some good ideas for other activities. We visited the 6th floor based on his suggestion. Also talked with the coaching staff for a bit as they sat together outside the hotel.

I guess not knowing the entire set up ... I would probably leave my dog at home even though (IMO) my dogs would be better than the guide's dogs. I suspect the guide and dog will know exactly where the birds are plant which facilitates better and I suppose safer flushes.

Congrats on winning the hunt! I remember entering into that competition a few weeks ago and thinking "what if this is a joke, they could not choose a winner and nobody would even know!" I guess there really are winners to those sweepstakes.

I think I would just go with the stuff that they provided, but maybe bring my own boots. I'd hate to have to wear a brand new pair that doesn't fit quite right and gives you blisters. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is some type of marketing or promotional pictures that they are wanting to get out of this, and therefore you do need to wear their brands, sponsors, etc.

For me, I just don't know if I would enjoy pheasant hunting too much without watching my own dog work. I think I would probably bring my dog if they said it was okay.

That sounds awesome! Congrats dude! But if I were you, I'd bring my own dogs. I know them and know how well they can perform. But I wouldn't back down from telling people they better be safe and not shoot my dog.

Congratulations!!!!

I understand wanting your own stuff, but you might just let them supply everything, they've spent a long time trying to refine all the details and do it right for the public image.

Boots and dog would be the only essentials I'd inquire about.

If you were going on your own...no question, but I favor feeding, kenneling, and taking care of my own canine partner.

Have a ball. (We're all gonna want T-shirts, you know. :) )

I'm still undecided on whether to bring my older dog with??? I am going to bring all my normal gear with and see what they say about me wearing my stuff or if they prefer I wear the stuff provided. either way I am looking forward to it and still can't believe I won!

Well by UPH law you are required to take me with. You know I can always just be your professional photog and make you look important. Heck Tbear abuses this privilege, why can't you!

Got a call today from the marketing manager at Gander Mtn saying I won a guided all expenses paid hunt with a Minnesota Wild Player next week at Wild Wings in Hugo. Has anyone been on this or won it before? Just curious as what to expect? She stated that all the gear and shells will be provided by Gander Mtn, PF and Federal. Vests, shirts, hats, chaps and boots along with shells provided by federal. I'm going to feel kind of bad if I don't wear any of it as I have all my own stuff and don't want to hunt in anything but my Wings Works vest. They stated I could bring my dog if I want still tossing the idea around if I want to or not as they will have dogs and guides? Either way I am taking my father in law and we are both excited for the hunt and to see who we get for a player and who from PF we will be hunting with? Should be a good time!

Feel free to come along and take pictures! I am sure no one would object to it! Tbear almost got a phone call to come with as I asked Bigjon to come with and he said he had to work and later called me stating that was the worst decision he has ever made!! I asked my father in law and he almost didn't go so I almost called trevor to see if he wanted to go but my father in law finally came to his senses and said he couldn't pass up a once in a lifetime chance to do something like this!

Yeah That should be a blast - What days is it? I just got back from sodak - then this weekend is deer opener. So I am pot committed with that.

Feel free to come along and take pictures! I am sure no one would object to it! Tbear almost got a phone call to come with as I asked Bigjon to come with and he said he had to work and later called me stating that was the worst decision he has ever made!! I asked my father in law and he almost didn't go so I almost called trevor to see if he wanted to go but my father in law finally came to his senses and said he couldn't pass up a once in a lifetime chance to do something like this!

It was a great time! Derek came out and shot some pictures and used the drone for a bit. Our group was myself and my father in law, asst coach anderson, federal rep and I believe he was the regional gm of gander mtn. We shot 18/20 birds they released in our field. 1 of the 2 birds we didn't get was a bird we dropped a leg on and never found. Was a great day with some clays before hunting. A lot of free stuff, boots, chaps, vest, hats and of course ammo. I came home with 8 boxes of 3" #4 prairie storm and a box of 2 3/4 4" black cloud. Got to enjoy dinner with mark Parrish and Keith Ballard and maybe a few cold ones as well. All in all it was a great day maybe a bit warm but I would love to do it again!! If they do it again next year I'll be entering again! :cheers: Derek can you post a couple of the pics from the day?

14939990_10155116609716030_1349388328193356068_o.jpg

14976907_10155116610491030_978863755223376112_o.jpg

14882354_10155116610801030_733146289535814078_o.jpg

14859714_10155116611541030_7591896531028464363_o.jpg

Back