Windy day strategies??

Hi All,
As I mentioned in another thread, I will be hunting this weekend in Holyoke Sat & Sun. Sunday is supposed to be windier than all hell. I usually avoid those days but will be hunting regardless due to season's end closing in on us.

I have hunted some windy days but I was curious if anyone would mind sharing a few alternative strategies or tips for when it gets windy. :confused:

I usually find thick cover and hunt the bottoms that are protected, as much as possible, from the wind.

Anybody willing to share their $.02, I'm willing to listen. I'm not trying to start a debate, everybody's experience is different.

I really just want to get my GSP on a few more birds this season. Like many of you, I do it for her as much (or more) as I do it for me.

Thanks in advance fellas.

p.s. the offer is still there if anyone wants to hook up this weekend. The only fortunate thing about hunting with me and the dog is that the dog could out-hunt me any day of the year!:laugh:

Years past, for me finding birds on such days was just dumb luck. I still went, but with little strategy. Most often, I tried to find wind-breaks where birds might be, and for my own survival.

Have fun, stay warm.

I actually like windy days makes it harder for them to hear me. I do not hunt with a dog so the wind seems to do me a favor. From my experience I still find birds in the same fields I do on a calm day. If there are wind breaks around I hunt them but generally they are few and far between in the WIA I hunt I find the birds hold decent in high winds. I do my usual zig zag walking pattern into the wind pushing towards open cover or ditches. I will be out this weekend as well so we will see how things go

Back