Wild Birds

I'll work on that speedy recovery, shorthairs . . . now that I know you & my pup are BOTH relying on me, I could do nothing less.

I was out for about 5 hours today and got skunked too. Kind of surprised as it was a perfect day to hunt. Hunted some new areas that look really good but im sure thet pounded every weekend.
Did not see one other person hunting today.

Here is my end of 2011 report:

Hunted Christmas Eve day..still had snow in St. Croix County then. My son got the rooster in the pic. It was a banded plant, but we were hunting a private field that is over a 1/2 mile from the nearest stocked public land. The bird was good sized and the band on his leg was so tight it was cutting into his leg. I then hit some private lands that a buddy of mine has access to north of Hammond and he did manage to get one wild rooster. Hen sightings on the private lands were way down, and there wer lots of coyote tracks.

After that the temps got mild and the snow started to melt. My son and I hit the Nagel wildlife north of Hammond area on Christmas Day. Got up 5 hens. As the week went on the pressure on the public lands mounted. Every parking area had trucks in it. By Thursday it looked like opening weekend all over again so I gave up for the year.

This off season I'm going to focus on practising w/ my shotgun and training w/ my dog...he did good this year but is pretty raw..I think if put my time in practising some clays and training w/ my dog (he's a 1.5 year old lab) 2012 should be a fun year!

Gostovp - great report and a great picture.

I was only able to get out once over the holidays and hunted a stocked public ground. Lots of pressure on a ground that hadn't been stocked in weeks but did manage my last rooster of the year.

The season goes by way too quickly.

Figures after the season ends I start seeing roosters! Twice last week (in the same spot) while taking my daughter to school I saw a lone rooster on the side of the road, and then Friday afternoon (in the same spot!) I saw three roosters together and a hen...standing in the middle of the road!! This was about a mile north of the nearest public land that is stocked.

Back